Does Lucy get first crack at C if AJ is traded?

Jerksticks

Ideally if they traded AJ, Flowers would step in, but I don't think that's the case right now. I think we'd get a whole lot of Ramon Castro. If anyone thinks Beckham is a mess right now, Flowers is worse. He hit .122 in May and has fanned 6 of his 9 AB in June. I think there would be a grace period of a week or so, but he would get skewered on this board if the Sox called him up. He needs to get fixed first.

If the Sox do go into serious fire sale mode, I wouldn't mind seeing Donny up here for a bit. But only long enough for Flowers to get back on track, and shake off the manipulation he's been put under lately. Once he's got it going, he's the guy. Lucy is a probable backup for next year, and I'd be OK with him in that role.

I hope it'd be Lucy. It has occured in the past, you know, where one of our highly touted prospects hasn't exactly prospered. Similarly, guys have come from seemingly nowhere and produced.

And how about since AJ would probably net a half smoked pack of Camel Lights in a trade the Sox focus on ridding themselves of Castro, if even for nothing. Let Flowers or Lucy fill his spot. Hell, the both of them could probably fit into the space he takes up.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
I hope it'd be Lucy. It has occured in the past, you know, where one of our highly touted prospects hasn't exactly prospered. Similarly, guys have come from seemingly nowhere and produced.

And how about since AJ would probably net a half smoked pack of Unfiltered Camels in a trade the Sox focus on ridding themselves of Castro, if even for nothing. Let Flowers or Lucy fill his spot. Hell, the both of them could probably fit into the space he takes up.

Would Flowers/Lucy get the majority of playing time or would Castro get an undeserved promotion as well?

If we send Castro packing as well, don't we just become the Rangers and their catching carousel? Hell, even if we keep Castro we might have 3 sub-par catchers all year.

Detroit is in contention and in desperate need of a catcher, about as desperate as it gets. Aren't most teams almost always looking to upgrade catcher? Perhaps we are undervaluing AJ's appeal.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
If we send Castro packing as well, don't we just become the Rangers and their catching carousel? Hell, even if we keep Castro we might have 3 sub-par catchers all year.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's also possible to move Castro before the deadline, and I wouldn't have a problem with him getting >50% of the catcher atbats if AJ is moved in order to see if he can string together a few good at bats. Guy could always hit LHP when he was with the Mets, and there's always going to be someone willing to trade for a backup catcher, even if all you get back is the next Lance Broadway.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 02:08 AM)
I'd like Flowers up here since he is suppose to be 'franchise' catcher.

He actually was doing really good in April, and had a pretty awful May, not sure how this is affected by Sox brass messing with his swing.

it wasnt the sox who messed with his swing

Is Flowers even a good catcher or are we just hoping as usual that a good hitter will also just happen to become a decent catcher?

IIRC, he's not even a real catcher, but was able to hit HR's...and he's not even doing that much anymore.

Meh.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
Is Flowers even a good catcher or are we just hoping as usual that a good hitter will also just happen to become a decent catcher?

IIRC, he's not even a real catcher, but was able to hit HR's...and he's not even doing that much anymore.

Meh.

His catching skills were in question when we traded for him. Since then however, he's won accolades for his improvement. I believe he was even named best defensive catcher in his league, in the Southern League last year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
His catching skills were in question when we traded for him. Since then however, he's won accolades for his improvement. I believe he was even named best defensive catcher in his league, in the Southern League last year.

I hope so. :D

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)

He was named the southern league's best defensive catcher, which is voted on by the managers of said league so it's not some meaningless award given by writers who have seen him play a few times but by the managers who watch him play every day.