2010-2011 NHL thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 08:01 AM)
Well with the talk already starting to shift to Hawks free agency and salary cap issues, it is time to open this up. DEFENDING STANLEY CUP CHAMPS b****ES!!!! :headbang

stanleycup.jpg

It's sweet, sweet music to my ears!!!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 08:50 AM)
Those bonuses for Kaner and Toews are going to be a big problem. The Kyle Beach era is about to begin, and they had better just eat the 11 millionish left on Huet's contract.

What bonus did Kane receive?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 08:50 AM)
Those bonuses for Kaner and Toews are going to be a big problem. The Kyle Beach era is about to begin, and they had better just eat the 11 millionish left on Huet's contract.

I'm hoping the same with Huet's contract, although throwings away $11 million is tough, even for the Wirtz family. Maybe a team will take a trade for him if we pay half the salary or so, thats better than nothing. I think Beach & Jack Skille are gonna be in Chicago full-time next year. I'm resigned to that fact the Sharp will be gone and I will need to buy a new jersey, since he has the most value, but I hope not. I would push hard to trade Byfuglien, especially after his value skyrocketed after the past month or two. I don't see him him producing a full season of what he did in the playoffs.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
I'm hoping the same with Huet's contract, although throwings away $11 million is tough, even for the Wirtz family. Maybe a team will take a trade for him if we pay half the salary or so, thats better than nothing. I think Beach & Jack Skille are gonna be in Chicago full-time next year. I'm resigned to that fact the Sharp will be gone and I will need to buy a new jersey, since he has the most value, but I hope not. I would push hard to trade Byfuglien, especially after his value skyrocketed after the past month or two. I don't see him him producing a full season of what he did in the playoffs.

The bright side of things is that there is no better time for it to happen with all of the extra money coming in from winning the Cup.

I think if you can't deal Huet, you've got to have him in Rockford, not have that $5.5M count towards the cap, to be able to keep the likes of Sharp and Versteeg around.

I'd try and move Campbell to a team that needs a puck moving d-man like Dallas or Atlanta, but that's probably wishful thinking.

Another team is probably going to give up the most talent for Sharp I would have thought, so I think he's a good candidate to be gone from next season.

How much is Niemi going to want also with his new contract is also going to be an issue.

Going to be a very busy summer for Bowman.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 10:59 AM)
Another team is probably going to give up the most talent for Sharp I would have thought, so I think he's a good candidate to be gone from next season.

I don't want to move Sharp, but Columbus and the 4th overall pick+ would be interesting.

QUOTE (chimpy2121 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
I don't want to move Sharp, but Columbus and the 4th overall pick+ would be interesting.

As a team that is going to be in reloading mode to work around the cap, a #4 pick would be awesome.

I think if you can't deal Huet, you've got to have him in Rockford, not have that $5.5M count towards the cap, to be able to keep the likes of Sharp and Versteeg around.

I'd try and move Campbell to a team that needs a puck moving d-man like Dallas or Atlanta, but that's probably wishful thinking.

How much is Niemi going to want also with his new contract is also going to be an issue.

Going to be a very busy summer for Bowman.

Campbell ain't going anymore most likely though. No one wants the cap hit on a good defenseman getting paid like a top-three defenseman. Huet better be in Rockford next year. To me we have to keep Niemi and Hammer over Steeger and even Sharp. One good thing is that if we trade for draft picks, we are a terrific drafting team, so we could just reload on youngsters. Huet's salary cap hit is probably equal to Hammer and Niemi's combined next year (give or take $500,000) so it's clear he is off the books. Then really, it's just gonna be youngsters filling out the roster: Beach, Skille, Aliu and maybe even one of our young D-men. Good thing we have of minor league talent.

Its gonna be very interesting to see what happens with him. On one hand, he is a Stanley Cup winning goalie who won a few playoff games all by himself. On the other hand, he looked mediocre at times in the playoffs but had the best team in the league around him. The Hawks have oviously been hurt by big goalie contracts before with Huet/Khabi, and look what giving Luongo big $$$$ has done for Vancouver. Looking at the rest of the playoffs, yeah Leighton may have cost Philly the Cup, but they also made it to game 6 of the Finals with him & Boucher in net. The Canadiens went far with a 9th round pick standing on his head. Its a tough decision as to how much and how long you sign Niemi for.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
Campbell ain't going anymore most likely though. No one wants the cap hit on a good defenseman getting paid like a top-three defenseman. Huet better be in Rockford next year. To me we have to keep Niemi and Hammer over Steeger and even Sharp. One good thing is that if we trade for draft picks, we are a terrific drafting team, so we could just reload on youngsters. Huet's salary cap hit is probably equal to Hammer and Niemi's combined next year (give or take $500,000) so it's clear he is off the books. Then really, it's just gonna be youngsters filling out the roster: Beach, Skille, Aliu and maybe even one of our young D-men. Good thing we have of minor league talent.

I suggested Atlanta for Campbell because they were our main competition when we signed him, and now that they've lost Kovalchuk, I'd suggest they'd have quite a bit of cap room to spend.

Keeping Niemi is a definite no brainer.

If Columbus offers you the #4 pick for Sharp, that's a deal you can't turn down either. You can get a player there who could probably play in the NHL almost straight away.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
Trading Sharp would be a huge mistake. He is not only a team leader, but is a much needed scorer. Steeger and BUff could be gone instead.

This

No way I would lose Sharp if I could move Steeger and Buff. That has to be the first moves they try to make. Getting someone to take Soupy would be great, but that ain't happening. Hammer is also a must sign IMO.

Here's some numbers to ponder.

Salary cap will force Hawks to shake up roster

Stanley Cup winners have difficult choices to make in NHL financial environment

By Chris Kuc, Tribune reporter

10:06 PM CDT, June 12, 2010

During their raucous tour of seemingly every drinking establishment in Chicago with the Stanley Cup in tow, the Blackhawks took some time to reflect on the sobering fact that not all of them will be back next season.

"We had a few moments when all the guys were together the other night and we realized a lot of guys are going to be moving in different directions," said center John Madden, who will be an unrestricted free agent July 1. "(Salary) cap issues are going to be a problem. We have a good team, great guys and unfortunately we have to move on."

The salary cap is expected to be around $59 million next season and with 14 players signed for around $57 million of that, the Hawks are facing a mathematical impossibility of remaining under the cap without some major subtractions. Added to the mix is the $1.3 million bonus captain Jonathan Toews received for winning the Conn Smythe Trophy as the postseason MVP, a figure that counts against the cap.

"We were going to try our best to win the Cup this year and we did that knowing all along there were going to be changes that had to be made," general manager Stan Bowman said. "It's just the business we're in right now. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out."

During the shakeout, it's expected Bowman will have to move a key player or two and not re-sign some. Included in that mix is veteran goaltender Cristobal Huet, who became Antti Niemi's backup and has a hefty 2010-11 cap hit of $5.625 million.

"The goaltending is where we're going to have to figure something out," Bowman said.

There aren't many options to get Huet's salary off the books other than sending him to the American Hockey League, where he would get paid his salary but it wouldn't count against the cap. That would leave Niemi, who is a restricted free agent and is in line for a large raise from his current salary of $800,000, and Corey Crawford ($800,000) in goal.

Options to trim payroll via trades may come from players who also could be considered part of the core group of Hawks. Forwards Patrick Sharp ($3.9 million cap hit), Kris Versteeg ($3.083 million) or Dustin Byfuglien ($3 million) could fall into that mix. Another possibility is Bowman finding a taker for Brian Campbell, who carries a whopping cap hit of $7,142,875 million through 2016 or fellow defenseman Brent Sopel ($2 million).

Players who are unrestricted free agents and may not return next season are Madden, Adam Burish, Nick Boynton and Kim Johnsson.

"I have no idea what the future holds," Madden said. "I'll be playing somewhere. … Who knows what's going to happen?"

Another group of uncertainty includes restricted free agents Andrew Ladd, Ben Eager, Niklas Hjalmarsson and Colin Fraser among others. If any of those players return, they likely will be in line for raises after helping the Hawks win the Stanley Cup.

"I'd love to be here," said Ladd, who made $1.6 million in '09-10. "I can't imagine playing anywhere else but everyone understands it's a business."

Here's a look at who will be back, who may be back and who won't be back:

They're back: The Hawks signed Toews, Patrick Kane and Duncan Keith to long-term contracts and have hits of $6.3 million, $6.3 million and $5,538,462, respectively. Also part of the core is Marian Hossa ($5.275 million) and Dave Bolland ($3.375 million). At least two of Sharp, Versteeg, Byfuglien and Sopel should return and Campbell likely isn't going anywhere. Brent Seabrook, Troy Brouwer and Tomas Kopecky are signed through next season at affordable prices and are vital cogs. Niemi and Hjalmarsson are young players who deserve and will get raises.

Current cap hit total of all players in this category: $51,973,003 million.

They could be back: Ladd is a strong two-way player and Bowman likely will try to keep the veteran. Fraser, Jordan Hendry and Bryan Bickell are all restricted but won't demand significant money to return. Eager could warrant a spot if he doesn't expect much of a raise beyond his current $1 million deal and Burish ($700,000) is in the same spot.

Current cap hit total of all players in this category: $5.1 million.

They're gone: Madden ($2.8 million) will be too expensive to remain with the Hawks, as is Johnsson. Huet almost certainly will not be on the NHL roster in 2010-11 and Boynton is a veteran also likely moving on.

2010-11 cap hit total of all players in this category: $14,725,000.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
Which is why if I'm the Hawks, I may let other teams do my work for me. It's rolling the dice, but if you let teams drop offer sheets on Niemi, you get a chance to see his value across the league, and if you feel like it's fair, you match it. If someone offers him 4-4.5 a season, you let him walk, and then start looking for a goalie.

...and then you wind up with guys like Khabibulin and Huet getting paid 6 millish and not being difference makers. We've been down that road before...

Come on, boys! You're better than that. Niemi will probably make 3.5 million next year, and it'll be with the Hawks. Just listen to how Quenneville praises Niemi's attitude and composure.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
Which is why if I'm the Hawks, I may let other teams do my work for me. It's rolling the dice, but if you let teams drop offer sheets on Niemi, you get a chance to see his value across the league, and if you feel like it's fair, you match it. If someone offers him 4-4.5 a season, you let him walk, and then start looking for a goalie.

Hjalmarsson is the bigger RFA priority anyway this off-season.

I actually think it should be the other way around. Niemi clearly is benefited by the Hawks terrific D core and likely plays his best with the Hawks due to this and a comfort level within the organization. But on the other hand, he also saved the Hawks in games where the D sucked (San Jose). I think they should be aggressive with him and get a deal done quick that is fair for both sides. You really can't afford to lose him and have options of Huet/Crawford/low-price FA pick-up. I would offer him a 3-year deal worth $11 million dollars. He gets money, but also affords the Hawks protection if he is a one-year wonder-type. There are plenty of teams desperate for goalies in a weak (so I have read) FA class. Add that he just won the Cup and is only 26-years-old, someone could be foolish and offer him a 5-year, $25 million offer to which the Hawks really can't afford.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
...and then you wind up with guys like Khabibulin and Huet getting paid 6 millish and not being difference makers. We've been down that road before...

Come on, boys! You're better than that. Niemi will probably make 3.5 million next year, and it'll be with the Hawks. Just listen to how Quenneville praises Niemi's attitude and composure.

We are in complete agreement, my friend. Take a look above.

I would think trading a guy like Sharp or Versteeg/Byfuglien could net you a good goalie if it came to that. I'm torn on these guys though. I love Byfuglien, and would hate to see him go (even the other guys not to mention might be bad as far as merchandise sales.. I see alot of Sharp/Byfuglien jerseys here)

Maple Leafs and Blue Jackets love Sharp (though they're will be more teams like Vancouver, San Jose, etc..) Edmonton likes Versteeg and the Devils like Campbell. (which would be heaven if the Hawks can move him/waive his no trade, though he is a good player.. just overpaid) Gonna be quite the interesting summer that's for sure.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 12:25 PM)
I would think trading a guy like Sharp or Versteeg/Byfuglien could net you a good goalie if it came to that. I'm torn on these guys though. I love Byfuglien, and would hate to see him go (even the other guys not to mention might be bad as far as merchandise sales.. I see alot of Sharp/Byfuglien jerseys here)

Maple Leafs and Blue Jackets love Sharp (though they're will be more teams like Vancouver, San Jose, etc..) Edmonton likes Versteeg and the Devils like Campbell. (which would be heaven if the Hawks can move him/waive his no trade, though he is a good player.. just overpaid) Gonna be quite the interesting summer that's for sure.

Out of all those guys, Sharp to me has the most value. Buff is a good player, good hands and a HUGE ass, but we have some serious grit coming up through our minors and we cant hold onto "goons" just because we like them. IMO, Vancouver would jump at the chance to sign BUff which would be hilarious.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 11:45 AM)
You're choosing what to read(no surprise). I said if Niemi gets an offer sheet of 4-4.5 per year, he doesn't fit into the plans. If he is open to signing at 3.5, then you keep him around. His agent has already come out and said his client will not be giving the Hawks a hometown discount of any sort, so save the "He loves being here, he'll give the Hawks a break."

Right.

THE POINT OF MY POST WAS TO BEAT THOSE OFFERS THAT YOU WANTED TO WAIT FOR, BECAUSE TEAMS ARE GOING TO JUMP ALL OVER THE 26 YEAR OLD FINNISH F*CKER!!

You offer Niemi a fair deal the moment you can, and sign him, you don't sit back and wait.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
One rumor making the rounds which does make a good deal of sense is doing a Versteeg, 30th pick, plus a guy like Skille for the 3rd overall pick from Florida, which I would be all for, and thats the type of deal Stan needs to be looking at.

holy s*** that would be a great deal.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)
Who are the consensus top 3 picks? Hall, Seguin and Fowler?

A mock draft for you, good sir.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

And here's a page that takes all the mocks and throws the top three in a nice table.

http://thepuckdoctors.com/2009/08/2010-nhl...draft-database/

Looks like Hall/Seguin are the definite 1-2, while its a toss up between Gudbranson and Fowler for #3.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 15, 2010 -> 12:30 PM)
Right.

THE POINT OF MY POST WAS TO BEAT THOSE OFFERS THAT YOU WANTED TO WAIT FOR, BECAUSE TEAMS ARE GOING TO JUMP ALL OVER THE 26 YEAR OLD FINNISH F*CKER!!

You offer Niemi a fair deal the moment you can, and sign him, you don't sit back and wait.

Of course you offer Niemi a fair deal. Just saying, what if you offer him a reasonable, 3 yr., 10.5 mil deal, and he says, no, I think I can make more on the open market. He does not have to accept the Hawks' offer. The Flyers say f*** it, we need to finally have a franchise goalie and Niemi is it and offer him like a 5 yr., 25 mil deal, you can take our 1st round pick. Then its not as simple of a decision.