Alex Gonzalez traded to Braves for Yunel Escobar

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
The Braves made this move to put them over the hump for this year. The NL is really up in the air, especially once the playoffs start. Escobar missed time due to some sort of injury early in the year (I can't remember exactly what, but ironically I dropped Yunel for Alex in my money fantasy league, and I've kept Alex since) when he came back, he never really produced offensively and he's been benched multiple times for pissing off Bobby Cox one way or another. The Braves see an opportunity to win this year and they're going for it. It's a pretty lateral move defensively, but if Gonzalez even comes close to how he's been producing offensively, it's a huge upgrade to the lineup. Everything I've read suggests that Gonzalez will regress, but he's been incredibly consistent since day 1 of the season, maybe it's his career year and the Braves will capitalize on it.

Giving Bobby his last hurrah by upgrading this season before he's gone. Classy move for a classy organization.

Great post BTW.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
So if Gonzalez produces in 2011 like he has in 2010, what type of FA does he become, type A? If that's the case then he would more than likely decline the 2.5 million dollar arbitration offer and try to cash in... and the Braves win even more. Is this accurate?

At this rate, he's on pace for about 30 HR and has a .793 OPS (99 OPS+, Toronto not being a hitter's park), and his average season HR number is 16.

His career high in HR is 23, so the odds of him suddenly developing 30 HR power right now are limited, at age 33.

That said, he keeps this pace up for 2 years and the Braves will not only have a steal but there's a good chance he'd be a type A guy. If not, type B for sure.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
At this rate, he's on pace for about 30 HR and has a .793 OPS (99 OPS+, Toronto not being a hitter's park), and his average season HR number is 16.

His career high in HR is 23, so the odds of him suddenly developing 30 HR power right now are limited, at age 33.

That said, he keeps this pace up for 2 years and the Braves will not only have a steal but there's a good chance he'd be a type A guy. If not, type B for sure.

This kind of thing rarely happens. I think he started hitting for more power starting in Boston last year.

Not completely sure on whether or not the power will last, but every single projection system alive has Escobar outperforming Gonzalez in the second half, it just seems to make sense that way.

He might be catching a case of Raul Ibanez, who knows. But if he continues to hit like this, the Braves got a good deal, even if they let go of a guy who was a top 5 SS in baseball just one year ago.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)
This kind of thing rarely happens. I think he started hitting for more power starting in Boston last year.

Not completely sure on whether or not the power will last, but every single projection system alive has Escobar outperforming Gonzalez in the second half, it just seems to make sense that way.

He might be catching a case of Raul Ibanez, who knows. But if he continues to hit like this, the Braves got a good deal, even if they let go of a guy who was a top 5 SS in baseball just one year ago.

From what we seem to be hearing whispered about Escobar behind the scenes, even if all they're doing is replacing a slumping guy with a guy on fire, I think the Braves will be happy.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 12:18 AM)
Yunel Escobar didn't hit a single homer with the Braves all season. He already has two with Toronto.

That's because everyone hits home runs with the Blue Jays. Juan Pierre would have 12 homers by now if he played in Toronto.