Hudson's command is just terrible

macsandz

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
Interesting. I get the impression from the data (if I'm reading it right) that he should have thrown fewer changeups and more sliders.

Back to somebody's earlier comment about Clayton Richard... CR had similar issues in his first several starts. Could only get 1-2 pitches across the plate with consistency... MLB hitters wouldn't bite on his offspeed stuff... got behind in counts... had to throw the fastball. Got slapped around.

But what Hudson has going in his favor... much better late movement on his pitches. That usually translates into good results if a guy can find the plate consistently. And Hudson's history suggests he will eventually.

It's just hard to watch most young pitchers struggle in the transition to the majors.

Especially in this day and age of expecting this NOW and patience in general is usually tossed out the door.

It would be a shame if Hudson gets traded.

Especially in this day and age of expecting this NOW and patience in general is usually tossed out the door.

I guess it's partly because ticket prices, parking, food and beer prices are so high and players make so much money ... but patience is really slim these days.

Just think if at your first big-time job your potential as a good worker was judged by your first couple weeks on the job ... Wow, good luck to you. Some people actually do improve, ya know?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 06:01 PM)
Elgin Slim, that's a good post and kind of scary.

Sounds as if Hudson may not have "it."

Looking over Law's scouting report, I think if the Sox could get 2 months of Dunn for Santos and Hudson they should do it. Law doesn't seem to think Hudson has much chance to be valuable major-leaguer and he's been spot-on in most of his assessment of the Sox minor league players.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 11:54 PM)
Looking over Law's scouting report, I think if the Sox could get 2 months of Dunn for Santos and Hudson they should do it. Law doesn't seem to think Hudson has much chance to be valuable major-leaguer and he's been spot-on in most of his assessment of the Sox minor league players.

In another thread right now, we're noting that Keith Law is writing today that vizquel was never anywhere near as good of a SS as Vizquel was.

He's in Vendetta mode against the Sox. He could still be right...but really, Hudson could have looked like Stras out there and he'd have found something bad to write about.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:54 AM)

Not a chance that either of them go for Dunn--let alone both. I had my doubts about Santos in the spring. But the progress he's made as a P, you don't give up on that kind of an arm. He could be a mainstay in the sox pen [they have had few arms in the minors help in the bullpen, why get rid of one who has made it?] for as long as he's healthy. Hudson will be fine and be a solid #3 SP for a long time. You don't give up that kind of production for a two month rental.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
His control was awful at times last year with the Sox, and he recently walked 6 in a game in the minors.

His BB/9 in the minors over the past 2 seasons has been 4. He does not have good control. There's a reason he's not considered a good prospect.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)
In another thread right now, we're noting that Keith Law is writing today that Vizquel was never anywhere near as good of a SS as Jeter was.

Fixed for clarity in Keith Law's lack of judgement.