Chicago Crime this Summer

SoxFan1

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:22 AM)
hey hey hey the hood on the northside is just as bad bro. dont want to mess with humboldt park and logan square i tell ya. i mean just to keep it fair and not make it seem like the southside is the cause of all our city's troubles :)

I only mentioned those because it's what I'm familiar with.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 01:22 AM)
hey hey hey the hood on the northside is just as bad bro. dont want to mess with humboldt park and logan square i tell ya. i mean just to keep it fair and not make it seem like the southside is the cause of all our city's troubles :)

Alright.. you got me on Humboldt park. ;)

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:20 AM)
Agreed 100% Slav, and you know damn well I've seen my share of s***. (and I'd bet millions much worse) I'll say this though.. since I'm not sure how often you go back to the hood, it is much worse in places like Hegewish or by Calumet than it is on the south east side now-a-days... though I don't live out there either cept when visiting couple times a month to crash.. only hearing it from people still living there.

Ya, the East Side isn't as bad as it was a few years ago. Hegewisch has gotten a lot worse, like you mentioned. And Calumet has always been s***ty. But ya, I've been on the east side all summer.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:25 AM)
I only mentioned those because it's what I'm familiar with.

lol no i hear ya.. i was just pointing it out to JReedfan cause the southside catches so much crap cause all these shootings on the news are reported as being on the southside and id like to let it be known that the northside isnt just full of nice well-to-do people either :)

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 02:47 PM)
Best guess? Aggression is linked to physical discomfort or pain. It's why a wounded animal is more dangerous than a healthy one. So, we assume that heat is an aversive stimulus that may cause an increase in aggressive behavior. I'm not aware of anything that can actually demonstrate it's a causal relationship--but it's a pretty strong hypothesis.

One of my favorite studies looked at the relationship between temperature and batters that were hit by a pitch. Batters were significantly more likely to get hit by a pitch when the temperature gets above 90.

I would be very interested in the details behind that study. I have never seen something like it done before.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:09 AM)
That's absolutely true and those who say otherwise are absolutely wrong. I've seen gang 1st hand that hasn't been reported on the news. And I have never, EVER heard the terms Latin Kings or GD's or anything of the sort on the news.

It's easy for people to say that crime isn't an issue when they've never been jumped for no reason or they've never had their garage broken in to multiple times or they've never had cops drive around their neighborhood with spotlights between houses and in yards while helicopters are flying overhead or they don't hear gunshots once a week.

I fully agree that a voluminous amount of gang violence is not reported. Practically nothing in the grand scheme of things. They just say enough to appease the masses. To be honest though, i watch a good deal of news on a daily basis, and 2-3 times per week i see specific gangs mentioned, some even lesser known than others. If there were a 24 hour news channel dedicated to strictly gangs, well, they still wouldn't be touching anything in the grand scheme of things. There is quite simply too wide of an array of things they have their hands into.

For what it's worth, i know two people who had innocent friends die do to random shootings. The one kid was ten, doing nothing more than playing catch. The other kid was twelve, inside an enclosed porch (there was glass... which it of course went through). There was absolutely zero gang affiliation throughout both families. In both cases, said friends were witnesses.

Cowards shall always be cowards, which is why they hide in packs. It really is a shame.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:22 AM)

North Side representin'. Redeye's homicide tracker, check how bad you neighborhood really is.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:02 AM)
It was a mistaken identity, which happens all the damn time unfortunately.

Says who, though? I know the mother was saying that (but the victim's mother always claims that their child was perfect and had nothing to do with gangs). The kid was shot 22 times. I really can't see that being a case of mistaken identity. A drive-by where the person is hit a few times (upwards of 10), yes, but not 22 times.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 07:33 AM)
Says who, though? I know the mother was saying that (but the victim's mother always claims that their child was perfect and had nothing to do with gangs). The kid was shot 22 times. I really can't see that being a case of mistaken identity. A drive-by where the person is hit a few times (upwards of 10), yes, but not 22 times.

While i agree with you that very likely was not a case of mistaken identity... the flipside is still plausible.

Could have very well be an a one of, or a combination things: initiation, proving you are a ''man, proving how loyal they are to the gang. If you can kill an innocent person, a kid who has not even had the chance to experience the great things in life, you can kill anyone. In leaders eyes it's highly respected, and they feel you will live and die for that gang, with no in between. If you say you are gonna commit murder (initiation, etc) in a gang, and then renege, they will make sure whatever was planned for your target, is carried out even more brutally on yourself.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:03 AM)
Ugh. Go show this post to people on the west side, or the far south/southeast side, or in Pullman, or Roseland, or any of these other neighborhoods and see what happens.

That's absolutely true and those who say otherwise are absolutely wrong. I've seen gang 1st hand that hasn't been reported on the news. And I have never, EVER heard the terms Latin Kings or GD's or anything of the sort on the news.

It's easy for people to say that crime isn't an issue when they've never been jumped for no reason or they've never had their garage broken in to multiple times or they've never had cops drive around their neighborhood with spotlights between houses and in yards while helicopters are flying overhead or they don't hear gunshots once a week.

You are completely misunderstanding my point. No one said crime isn't an issue, that's a straw man. And all crime is an issue when you are a victim. My point is, the numbers tell us that crime is down, not up. If you want to live with your selection bias and say its not, well, I guess I'll just say I am 8 feet tall and everyone else is lying.

There is a lot of crime in Chicago, just like in any other big city. And it sucks, and I am all about finding ways to fix it. But the PERCEIVED increase in crime is the fact that so much more of it is being reported in the MEDIA now, than we saw previously. Hell, the Trib, who ran the article I quoted, is a major contributor to that change, with their constant breaking news band on their site focusing on crime.

And by the way, I think that's a good thing - this is exposing us to the reality that was always there, but that we didn't really understand. There is a lot of crime.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 07:33 AM)

Who knows why the kid was shot.

Maybe someone's gang initiation was to go shoot a random kid on a corner. That s*** goes down all the time.

Edited by BearSox

I don't want to go into all of these conspiracy theories, but I'll leave it at this, even though the "numbers" say violence is down, it really isn't. And don't even get me started on the media in Chicago, they don't report s***, and if they do, it is as vague as possible.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 07:51 AM)
While i agree with you that very likely was not a case of mistaken identity... the flipside is still plausible.

Could have very well be an a one of, or a combination things: initiation, proving you are a ''man, proving how loyal they are to the gang. If you can kill an innocent person, a kid who has not even had the chance to experience the great things in life, you can kill anyone. In leaders eyes it's highly respected, and they feel you will live and die for that gang, with no in between. If you say you are gonna commit murder (initiation, etc) in a gang, and then renege, they will make sure whatever was planned for your target, is carried out even more brutally on yourself.

Exactly. There are so many aspects to being a member of a gang that people don't understand. Find the most religious person you know, and I can find 5 who devote their lives to their gang just as much. It's religion for a lot of these people. For some it's family.

And again, the news doesn't report s***. And I don't know what news you watch, but like I said, I've never heard a specific gang name mentioned. And they certainly never say "The Kings and GD's are fighting over so and so block."

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 08:30 AM)
You are completely misunderstanding my point. No one said crime isn't an issue, that's a straw man. And all crime is an issue when you are a victim. My point is, the numbers tell us that crime is down, not up. If you want to live with your selection bias and say its not, well, I guess I'll just say I am 8 feet tall and everyone else is lying.

There is a lot of crime in Chicago, just like in any other big city. And it sucks, and I am all about finding ways to fix it. But the PERCEIVED increase in crime is the fact that so much more of it is being reported in the MEDIA now, than we saw previously. Hell, the Trib, who ran the article I quoted, is a major contributor to that change, with their constant breaking news band on their site focusing on crime.

And by the way, I think that's a good thing - this is exposing us to the reality that was always there, but that we didn't really understand. There is a lot of crime.

You can show me a million numbers and statistics and it won't mean anything to me.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
And again, the news doesn't report s***. And I don't know what news you watch, but like I said, I've never heard a specific gang name mentioned. And they certainly never say "The Kings and GD's are fighting over so and so block."

Watch more news then. I don't know what to tell you.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 02:55 PM)
You can show me a million numbers and statistics and it won't mean anything to me.

Anecdotal "evidence" doesn't hold a light to empirical evidence.

Basically, what you're arguing is, "because it seems to me like there is more crime taking place in the small fraction of the city that I can actually observe, there must be more crime in the city as a whole."

Edited by CubsSuck1

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
What channel news do you watch?

the news does report a lot of things, but of course its impossible to report it all.. and you are right about the specific gangs that are participating in the nonsense like the vicelords and GDs and what not, they arent anywhere near the story so it does sort of make it seem like its just random violence over nothing as opposed to gang members doing things just to be in a gang. i know where you are coming from bro, but i know that just cause its like this in some areas that it doesnt make the entire city a hell hole as a whole. when you put millions of people in one area youre, bound to get some crazies.. just like Iraq, people hear about violence in iraq and they believe the entire country wants to be violent lunatics and that everyone hates america, they hear about 4 deaths in the entire COUNTRY of iraq and they think its the end of the world.. its the same with our city...

You're kind of jumping points here. Yes, you are right that there is crime that isn't reported, and yes you are also right that crime is a HUGE issue in Chicago, I don't anybody would argue that. But crime in Chicago is still down overall these days. Is that a sign that crime in Chicago used to be just amazingly bad, and now it's only really bad? Possibly. But crime is down overall, even if maybe it's as bad or worse in the areas of the city you specifically hang out in.

Edited by whitesoxfan101