White Sox Acquire Manny Ramirez

Big Daddy Kool

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)
Has anyone else noticed that this acquisition has gotten little attention? I'm sure if he was going to Boston or NY the press would be going nuts. Nothing would make me happier than having him come in and totally clean-up and help get the Sox to the post season.

Well he hasnt been acquired yet, lets see if later today it's the #1 story on SC

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Mark Kotsay will get some at-bats against right-handers, but his role reverts to a backup first baseman"

WTF? I hate Manny, but he can be a full time DH, you don't have to play him in left field and then give him days off afterwards.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)
WTF? I hate Manny, but he can be a full time DH, you don't have to play him in left field and then give him days off afterwards.

You probably still need to give him a day or two off a week down the stretch even as a DH.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 10:41 PM)
The only thing I'll say is that we could have had Johnny Damon for 1/2 the season for the same price (pro-rated) we're going to pay Ramirez.

(That's assuming we just paid Damon $8 million in the offseason...or Guerrero, or whoever).

90 days of Damon

The ONLY advantage we have is the head to head match-up with Minnesota at home, where that SHOULD favor us to take 2/3. However, a sweep really feels imperative, like the Twins did to us in 2008 when they were down by 2 1/2 and left with a one-half game lead when Jenks blew the Carlos Gomez for HOF game.

Hammering this home a thousand times doesn't really do anything. We all know the rotating DH isn't exactly working. At least the Sox are willing to pay to fix their mistake.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 08:40 AM)
If Carlos Quentin and Alex Rios were doing their job the Sox would not need Manny. Don't be mad at Manny for being Manny or KW for getting him. Be mad at Quentin and Rios for forcing his hand.

The Sox are not making a run without him as the current nos. 3 & 5 are not getting it done.

Well said.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
If Carlos Quentin and Alex Rios were doing their job the Sox would not need Manny. Don't be mad at Manny for being Manny or KW for getting him. Be mad at Quentin and Rios for forcing his hand.

The Sox are not making a run without him as the current nos. 3 & 5 are not getting it done.

If Carlos Quentin and Alex Rios were doing their jobs the Sox would still have DH performance as bad as any other contender in the AL, and as such, they'd still have a need for Ramiroid. The difference is whether the Sox are 5 games back or 1 game back or 2 games up. No matter what...they can still use him.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 07:39 AM)
On the other hand both Thome and Juan Pierre complemented Manny on his behavior behind closed doors and in the clubhouse. Both said he's a true professional.

I don't know Pierres history very well, but has Thome ever said anything bad about anyone else ever?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 08:53 AM)
Don't forget Peavy or Threets could hit the 60 day DL to free up a roster spot.

Also, September call-ups start Wednesday so it really doesn't matter. They'll just send Lilibridge down for a day or something.

My only question is if we get Manny today, will we see him in a uniform tonight?

QUOTE (Special K @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 09:54 AM)
Also, September call-ups start Wednesday so it really doesn't matter. They'll just send Lilibridge down for a day or something.

Unless the rules change in September, you can't do that. If someone gets sent down, they have to stay down for 10 days.

QUOTE (Special K @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
Yeah I think they are modified so that rule wouldn't apply. But i'm not 100% on that.

10 days or if the minor league team that they sent the player to season ends. So if they sent him to Bristol...and the season ended tomorrow or the next day..they could recall him.

The only complaint I have about this move is that we have so little time to enjoy such a premiere bat. Hopefully Manny is extremely motivated by playing against Cleveland and Boston, while playing for a contract.

When does the waiver claim go through? He'd better be in the lineup tonight.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
It all depends on how long the Dodgers want to drag their feet. This could easily be dragged out until Wednesday's game.

I thought the deadline is tomorrow around noon. I would say he's here in the lineup tomorrow the latest.