Wow, Dodgers paid a steep price

Chisoxfn

Andrew Lambo: Future Cub

Is he still serving that suspension? He's got to be relatively close to being MLB ready, at least on the Pirates he is. Unless they really love what Lastings Milledge is bringing to the table or something.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
I don't know much about the prospects but Buster Onley doesn't seem to think they gave up that much FWIW.

Buster_ESPN Observation: Love what the Dodgers did before the deadline. They clearly helped the team without giving up a lot.#trades

Buster Olney is clueless. He's one of those "traditionalists".

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
Buster Olney is clueless. He's one of those "traditionalists".

Do you really believe that?

I know it's fashionable and all to rip on everyone who actually works in the industry, but I wouldn't characterize the guy as "clueless."

You do know there are other parts of the game other than advanced metrics, right?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 07:51 PM)
Do you really believe that?

I know it's fashionable and all to rip on everyone who actually works in the industry, but I wouldn't characterize the guy as "clueless."

You do know there are other parts of the game other than advanced metrics, right?

Saying that the Dotel deal is a good and fair trade can definitely be classified as clueless.

And yes, I'm well aware, but Olney is one of those guys who flat out rejects sabermetrics. So of course, I wouldn't see eye to eye with him.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 07:03 PM)
Saying that the Dotel deal is a good and fair trade can definitely be classified as clueless.

And yes, I'm well aware, but Olney is one of those guys who flat out rejects sabermetrics. So of course, I wouldn't see eye to eye with him.

So you disagree with him.

That doesn't make him clueless.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 07:33 PM)
So you don't think his applauding of this deal for the Dodgers is ridiculous?

I think it was a reach for them to even make the deal...that being said, I have not been super impressed with McDonald.

Either way, I could care less if you want to call his opinion silly...but it irks me when random message board guy thinks longtime ESPN baseball reporter and former beat writer doesn't bring anything to the discussion.

I think Cowley is pretty lame for instance...but even he can bring things to the table because of his access to the team...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 08:44 PM)
I think it was a reach for them to even make the deal...that being said, I have not been super impressed with McDonald.

Either way, I could care less if you want to call his opinion silly...but it irks me when random message board guy thinks longtime ESPN baseball reporter and former beat writer doesn't bring anything to the discussion.

I think Cowley is pretty lame for instance...but even he can bring things to the table because of his access to the team...

Joe Morgan has a lot of power in Hall of Fame voting and he broadcasts games on national TV every night while working for ESPN. That doesn't mean he brings anything to the table.

Reputation is one thing to consider, but at the end of it all, when the reputable person says things that don't make sense, I really don't care what the said person does.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 31, 2010 -> 07:50 PM)
Joe Morgan has a lot of power in Hall of Fame voting and he broadcasts games on national TV every night while working for ESPN. That doesn't mean he brings anything to the table.

Reputation is one thing to consider, but at the end of it all, when the reputable person says things that don't make sense, I really don't care what the said person does.

Ok, and I can understand you thinking Joe Morgan speaks out of turn when he does. I cringed when he decided to give goalkeeping lessons to Robert Green after he gave up that goal to the US.

And he really doesn't seem to have a good grip on a lot of the more modern thinking when it comes to the baseball industry as a whole.

But he's also played major league baseball for a long, long time, at a very high, high level, and so he does bring that experience and practical knowledge to the game. There is something to be said for that, and value to be taken from that.

I'm certainly not trying to make you agree with any of these guys...you can believe what you want...but how about some respect for what some of these people have done in the industry for so many years? They do bring knowledge and value, whether you agree with everything they say or not.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 12:55 AM)
With beat writers you can get great information, but in most cases, I poop better analysis.

Yeah, at least our beat writers anyways. There are a few really good ones around the league...we've just never really had one covering the Sox.