Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 12:44 AM)
You have a hard-on for any negative report about Richmond. Did he steal an ex-girlfriend of yours or something?

Weber's halftime interview pretty much sums it up. He's lost this team.

Actually, it's more about McCamey being an ass. But yeah, I hate Richmond. He's a piece of crap. The stuff he said last year to a coach after a game was enough for a handful of coaches to try and get him eliminated from Mr. Basketball voting. True story, and if you really care, I'll be happy to pm you the details.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 12:44 AM)
You have a hard-on for any negative report about Richmond. Did he steal an ex-girlfriend of yours or something?

Weber's halftime interview pretty much sums it up. He's lost this team.

Oh, and it wasn't me who stated on here that he's having academic issues.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 07:05 PM)
LOL what are these refs doing?

Terrible no call, but probably making up for the complete seal on that Sullinger put back. Worst f***ing play in all of basketball. I despise the seal (moving tackle basically) but no ref calls that s***.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
Oh, and it wasn't me who stated on here that he's having academic issues.

Regardless, every Illinois game you're on here spouting crap about how much you hate Richmond. We get it. You think he's the biggest ass in the Big Ten. Move on.

Actually, it's more about McCamey being an ass. But yeah, I hate Richmond. He's a piece of crap. The stuff he said last year to a coach after a game was enough for a handful of coaches to try and get him eliminated from Mr. Basketball voting. True story, and if you really care, I'll be happy to pm you the details.

Are you talking about the Deerfield game? I was there near the floor and the reports of that are so overrated.

I'd love to know the details.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 01:47 AM)
My guess is that Richmond hates McCamey because McCamey doesn't play hard. I hate these 4 seniors (although Davis has been playing much better)

I still think Tisdale gets way, way too much crap from Illini fans. You really want Leonard on the court more? Tisdale is what he is...great shooter, weak interior offensively, mediocre defense. Better than Leonard who contributes negatively on the court right now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 08:52 PM)
I still think Tisdale gets way, way too much crap from Illini fans. You really want Leonard on the court more? Tisdale is what he is...great shooter, weak interior offensively, mediocre defense. Better than Leonard who contributes negatively on the court right now.

Agreed. Leonard is a great athlete but unless he is within 2 feet of the hoop when he catches the ball I cringe. And this wasn't just the seniors tonight, I thought the effort from basically everyone not named Crandall Head in the first half was pathetic. Guys not fighting through screens, lazy help defense and rotations, lazy close outs on shooters, lazy passes, etc. Don't get me wrong OSU is really good and obviously a much better team than Illinois but coming out with that effort in the first half is inexcusable. And the sad thing is Illinois was having one of their lights out shooting games so if they had played with energy from the start they might have had a shot to pull off the upset.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 08:10 PM)
Lenzelle is to OSU as Scalabrine is to the Bulls

I know you think this will be ridiculous but I still think Lenzelle would be better than Craft if he was healthy and playing those minutes. Maybe biased towards him but just sayin.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
I know you think this will be ridiculous but I still think Lenzelle would be better than Craft if he was healthy and playing those minutes. Maybe biased towards him but just sayin.

Yes it is ridiculous, Lenzelle isn't half th defender Craft is. With that said, i would start Craft, use Lenzelle to spell him and use Lauderdale primarily off the bench as well.

Lenzelle will have a tough time getting minutes next year too with a McD AA pg coming in. He may end up at the 2 off the bench.

I didn't expect to win, but when you shoot that hot from three for the first 3/4 of the game or so (I believe we were 10/12 at one point), you would think you'd be in it.

Bottom line is this team can't get to the line, they can't get in the paint, so sometimes even if they shoot well it's not enough. I will say this though, OSU seemed really good at denying dribble penetration. The lane was always clogged.

OSU played really well, let's give them credit. Very efficient offensively.

I have to ask though, why does Lauderdale still start? Actually, why the hell does he play at all? He dunks the ball once in a while and that seems like that's about all he does. Craft is super valuable, I don't see why Lauderdale takes any minutes away from him, and starts over him. Hell even that Thomas kid seems alright sometimes. OSU is 5x better when Craft is out there and he can drive and play shut down defense. Offensively the lineup of Sullinger-Buford-Diebler-Lighty-Craft is really, really hard to stop. They beat you 20 different ways.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 10:10 PM)
I didn't expect to win, but when you shoot that hot from three for the first 3/4 of the game or so (I believe we were 10/12 at one point), you would think you'd be in it.

Bottom line is this team can't get to the line, they can't get in the paint, so sometimes even if they shoot well it's not enough. I will say this though, OSU seemed really good at denying dribble penetration. The lane was always clogged.

OSU played really well, let's give them credit. Very efficient offensively.

I have to ask though, why does Lauderdale still start? Actually, why the hell does he play at all? He dunks the ball once in a while and that seems like that's about all he does. Craft is super valuable, I don't see why Lauderdale takes any minutes away from him, and starts over him. Hell even that Thomas kid seems alright sometimes. OSU is 5x better when Craft is out there and he can drive and play shut down defense. Offensively the lineup of Sullinger-Buford-Diebler-Lighty-Craft is really, really hard to stop. They beat you 20 different ways.

Thomas has been an absolute disaster against teams not named Illinois in Big 10 play.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 04:19 AM)
Thomas has been an absolute disaster against teams not named Illinois in Big 10 play.

Yep, given his "is he losing the game on purpose" first half against Purdue. Lauderdale plays solid defense and let's face it.....do you want to be the person who tells him he's no long starting?

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 09:22 PM)
Yep, given his "is he losing the game on purpose" first half against Purdue. Lauderdale plays solid defense and let's face it.....do you want to be the person who tells him he's no long starting?

I'm pretty sure he held Matta over the side of the building Suge Knight style.

If it was me he would only spell Sullinger 5 min a game. Start Craft and spell him with Lenzelle. Use Thomas to sub for the wings.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)

I think Mike Davis falls into the category of getting too much crap, too. Overall he's had a solid season. He's thoroughly reviled on message boards but if people look over his career he's been a good player for Illinois. I understand that given his height and jumping ability people want more, and he never really added aggression going to the hoop but Illinois was lucky they managed to pick him up late in the recruiting cycle. He and Tisdale are bad fit together, I think. In fact, the whole Illinois team is less than the sum of it's parts. It's funny that until 4 years ago the opposite was usually true.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Feb 23, 2011 -> 04:44 AM)
I think Mike Davis falls into the category of getting too much crap, too. Overall he's had a solid season. He's thoroughly reviled on message boards but if people look over his career he's been a good player for Illinois. I understand that given his height and jumping ability people want more, and he never really added aggression going to the hoop but Illinois was lucky they managed to pick him up late in the recruiting cycle. He and Tisdale are bad fit together, I think. In fact, the whole Illinois team is less than the sum of it's parts. It's funny that until 4 years ago the opposite was usually true.

Illini fans are in love with the "back-up quarterback" syndrome this year. They keep asking to see more of Leonard, Head, and Bertrand...but after they see them play, they realize why they're not getting a lot of playing time. But yes, there's way too much talent to being player as poorly as they are.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 10:44 PM)

Davis has been a solid player, my problem with him has always been that I think he could have been great and I am generally harder on guys that I think actually have a lot of talent. The lazy passes, constantly missing wide open 3 footers at inopportune times, generally lackadaisical attitude, inconsistent effort, etc. is what has driven me nuts the last 3 years. The thing is as DMac and Richardson have disappeared the 2nd half of Big 10 play, Davis has for the first time in his career given consistent effort on D and on offense and has finally been making far fewer stupid plays.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
Illini fans are in love with the "back-up quarterback" syndrome this year. They keep asking to see more of Leonard, Head, and Bertrand...but after they see them play, they realize why they're not getting a lot of playing time. But yes, there's way too much talent to being player as poorly as they are.

Yeah, I don't get that whole backup thing. I was shocked to see Head starting. That being said, at least today he actually played somewhat well, sometimes was by far the best defensive player on the floor. And offensively, until his ridiculous open bricked three, he knew enough to get rid of the ball, go run around and cut, etc. At least he didn't say f*** it I'm out here, I might as well take a bunch of shots. I know that's not exactly a glowing review, but yeah.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 22, 2011 -> 10:01 PM)
Davis has been a solid player, my problem with him has always been that I think he could have been great and I am generally harder on guys that I think actually have a lot of talent. The lazy passes, constantly missing wide open 3 footers at inopportune times, generally lackadaisical attitude, inconsistent effort, etc. is what has driven me nuts the last 3 years. The thing is as DMac and Richardson have disappeared the 2nd half of Big 10 play, Davis has for the first time in his career given consistent effort on D and on offense and has finally been making far fewer stupid plays.

It's gotten to the point where if he makes an open 3 footer, I'm ecstatic, because as he goes up to take it, I fully expect him to miss it, every single time. That's sad.