Even Paulie's Talking up the Twins

LVSoxFan

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox01.article

So in an otherwise routine piece with Paulie talking about his plans for free agency, the most interesting diversion occurs at the end. To wit:

''Strictly speaking from the talent and the guys, I believe it's a team that can fight and win,'' Konerko said. ''I do think that things need to get better. The Twins are a good team, a great team, and more than that they go about it the right way. You have to go out and catch them. They're not going to come back to you. With the talent and the people here we can do that if we tidy up some things and get a little better with some things and move their way, move toward them.''

And then:

Asked if tidying it up meant on or off the field, he said, ''A little bit of both, a little bit of everything. ... We've got to up our game a little bit. It's not just about the talent on the field. It's no different than Little League. It's not always the talent that finishes first, second, third as far as who has that on paper. [The Twins] are a great team on paper, too. Probably at this moment a better team. So if you're not the better team, you have to do a lot of things to catch them that are beyond the talent. That's something that will have to be addressed if they want to go in that direction.''

What I find so interesting is that whole "they go about it the right way" comment and how he's also talking "off the field" as well--because that first comment is exactly what Jim Thome said in one of his first interviews back here since joining the Twins.

What do you think he's specifically talking about? Because he's obviously hinting at something, most notably: the Sox as-is are NOT set up to take down the Twins next season. What is he hinting has to change do you think?

Edited by LVSoxFan

I don't know, but I'll sure be glad when somebody beats these f***ers so people will quit talking about them. Paulie and Ozzie seem to be hypnotized by the aura of the Twins and it seems like it permeates throughout the entire team and organization. They like the twins too much and, quite frankly it's a lil disturbing. You think the redsox talked about how the yanks did everything the "right way" before they finally manned up and beat them in 2004? NO! Varitek muffed A Rod in the face and told him and the yanks to go f*** themselves!

You know... these are the times when it would be nice to have a raging a$$hole on your team. I mean an Albert Belle/Vincente Padilla/Carlos Zambrano/Gary Sheffield type a$$hole with some balls that won't sit back and admire the twins so much. f*** that...

Edited by Chet Kincaid

But what is this "right way" that everybody keeps going on about?

Because that implies we're not doing it the "right way"? I used to think that meant smallball/fundamentals but I really don't think we're lacking in that area anymore.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
But what is this "right way" that everybody keeps going on about?

Because that implies we're not doing it the "right way"? I used to think that meant smallball/fundamentals but I really don't think we're lacking in that area anymore.

By "right way" they mean do like the twins are doing - like everything they do is bleeping golden. Wait and see what happens to that starting pitching staff when they get to the post season.

f*** the twins.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
I don't know, but I'll sure be glad when somebody beats these f***ers so people will quit talking about them.

The Yankees do that in the playoffs every year.

You think the redsox talked about how the yanks did everything the "right way" before they finally manned up and beat them in 2004?

Of course not, the Yankees have the highest payroll in the league every year, I dont think thats considered the "right way"

You know... these are the times when it would be nice to have a raging a$$hole on your team. I mean an Albert Belle/Vincente Padilla/Carlos Zambrano/Gary Sheffield type a$$hole with some balls that won't sit back and admire the twins so much. f*** that...

Totally agree. Those 4 guys have two WS appearances & one WS title combined. Thats exactly what the Sox are missing to pass the Twins and get far in the playoffs.

Well unless we're going to assume that both Paulie and Thome are absolutely full of it, they're obviously seeing something in the Twins organization that doesn't exist with the Sox. What is it? Assuming they don't simply mean the farm system (which they could very well be referencing).

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 10:17 AM)
I

100% agreed. We need some a$$$$$$ guys who can hit & have some bite to them!! Our players may like the twins, but the twins don't like our team & they hate on our fans!

Once again, I'm sick of hearing about what a nice team the Twinkies are!!! I don't agree with everything that the Hawk says, but my spirit towards the Twinkies is the same as his, & any decent Sox fan should think the same!!

PS hate the twins, feel sorry for cubs (cubs are nothing, twins are a pain)

Edited by soxfan-kwman

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Oct 1, 2010 -> 10:56 AM)
Well unless we're going to assume that both Paulie and Thome are absolutely full of it, they're obviously seeing something in the Twins organization that doesn't exist with the Sox. What is it? Assuming they don't simply mean the farm system (which they could very well be referencing).

I'm 99% sure this is exactly what they're referencing, and the framework of the organization as a whole. In addition to the farm system, different pieces of the organization complement each other and behave as a well-run business should. Simple things on the field in the minors, like a roving hitting instructor, staffed by people like Paul Molitor, who travels to poorly performing squads, as a fail-safe to a manager who may have gotten off the path or is unable to communicate effectively with his team. It's indicative of management that understands their systems and processes are good and generate success, and each subsequent year allows them to refine the process. Short of a whole team of scouts somehow suffering from mass groupthink and devastating the system in the draft for multiple years in a row, you won't see regression from the twins, they'll be a .500+ team on the lower end and a playoff team more often than not.

I'm not saying their recipe would equal success no matter where they played, but the AL central is fairly easy to predict. Ownership doesn't turn over or drastically change styles, at least not in a time quick enough that they can't react.

I don't think admiring a team is the same as "liking" them--it's acknowledging their excellence, which I would think anybody who wants to get better would do automatically.

In fact, Buehrle said recently that on the field they absolutely hate them, but they have to tip their hat to how solid they are.

You can't win the World Series if you can't even get in the playoffs. And if you remember in 2005 KW would say over and over: our only goal right now is to win the division, and we'll take it from there.

Maybe I didn't make it clear: this is not a Twins praise thread

I want to know what Paulie and Thome are talking about, and guesses about what Paulie's hinting needs to be changed before 2011.

This thread is about what we can do for 2011, and Paulie keeps mentioning how they do things.

Do what?

Edited by LVSoxFan

One other thing worth noting...we've heard a ton of conflict from the Sox organization from day 1 of this year, from the Thome stuff through all of Ozzie's issues, through the losing to start the year, KW's family issues, Ozzie's family issues, Ozzie's job issues...Ozzie's rant about hispanic players...

The Twins have flat out been calmer and more professional this season.