2010-11 MLB Offseason Catch-All

witesoxfan

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 11, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
On the whole I agree with you; however, as far as the batting ninth and just play good defense thing, the same thing was told to Brian Anderson in 2006. We thought that we had a fantastic lineup that year, but when the offense started out slow, as usual for this team, there was pressure put on Anderson to produce offensively as well. We all know how that turned out.

The absolute worst thing that can happen to Morel this year is that his teamates start out slow offensively.

I agree with that. If everyone else sucks, the microscope will be on Morel real quick, and that will be disastrous. But I think the difference I'm getting at is that Anderson replacing Rowand set him up for a letdown, and put undue pressure on him based solely on the circumstances, whereas Morel replacing Teahen sets him up for success since he's not replacing a beloved guy, or even a guy with a positive reputation in any respect (aside from his dog's admittedly hilarious twitter account).

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
It's Chris Getz. You don't need to look at the numbers to remember he sucked, but when you do, it certainly reinforces that thought.

Right; I remembered him being not good but I didn't recall that he was atrocious. Whoops!

Between my selective memory and selective listening, I live in a pleasantly-filtered little world where TCQ deserves his T and MacDougal's stellar half-season made him a worthwhile pickup. :D

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 01:56 PM)
With the Yankees signing Russell Martin, it makes even more sense for the Yankees to use Montero/Romine as trade bait. Come on Kenny, offer up Floyd!

Why would that be a good deal for the Sox? We just spent enough money on a catcher for the next 2 years that we wouldn't really have a place for Montero, and there's no good reason to keep him in the minors for a year and a half or to use him as a backup next year. Sure, you could trade for him to trade him later, but you're just creating a hole in your rotation in order to have better trade bait.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
With the Yankees signing Russell Martin, it makes even more sense for the Yankees to use Montero/Romine as trade bait. Come on Kenny, offer up Floyd!

And how exactly does that make us a better team in 2011 ?

Can either one of them pitch?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
Why would that be a good deal for the Sox? We just spent enough money on a catcher for the next 2 years that we wouldn't really have a place for Montero, and there's no good reason to keep him in the minors for a year and a half or to use him as a backup next year. Sure, you could trade for him to trade him later, but you're just creating a hole in your rotation in order to have better trade bait.

Why is it so bad that he would play minor league ball for a year and a half? To my knowledge he is only like 21 years old. But I would really hope Kenny could get Romine and Gardner for something like Floyd and Quentin.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 15, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
Why is it so bad that he would play minor league ball for a year and a half? To my knowledge he is only like 21 years old. But I would really hope Kenny could get Romine and Gardner for something like Floyd and Quentin.

And that trade only makes sense if he then trades Romine to get us a stud pitcher.

Once again, this team is better with Floyd in the rotation and Quentin, than Gardner and a nobody.