Is it time to tear down Wrigley?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
Moving to the burbs would be a disaster for the fan bases of either team, but even more so for the Cubs.

Out of curiosity, if hypothetically the Sox moved outside the city limits to somewhere in the Southern Suburbs, brand new stadium like 15 years down the road, why would that be a fan-base disaster?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
Out of curiosity, if hypothetically the Sox moved outside the city limits to somewhere in the Southern Suburbs, brand new stadium like 15 years down the road, why would that be a fan-base disaster?

Go to any weeknight game at The Cell. Huge portion of the crowd is people who worked during the day downtown - those people aren't trucking out to Orland Park, at least not nearly as often. And further, that business crowd is a big chunk of the suite/club/scout seat holders, where they make the big bucks. So that's problem number one.

Number two, moving to the south suburbs would be great for one area, and terrible for the other 80% of the Metro area, as far as getting in and out. They'd go a lot less often. The city is central, it can draw from all over much more easily, and its south of downtown so you already get big south suburban draw. You gain little, and lose a lot.

Third, you lose a significant chunk of the tourist crowd. I know its popular to point out the Cubs fan base being a bunch of people from Iowa, but fact is the Sox get some of those two. If the stadium is out there on the fringe, a lot fewer of those people will go.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 04:54 PM)

My guess would be public transportation issues, though Metra could probably cover it, depending on where it went

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
Go to any weeknight game at The Cell. Huge portion of the crowd is people who worked during the day downtown - those people aren't trucking out to Orland Park, at least not nearly as often. And further, that business crowd is a big chunk of the suite/club/scout seat holders, where they make the big bucks. So that's problem number one.

Number two, moving to the south suburbs would be great for one area, and terrible for the other 80% of the Metro area, as far as getting in and out. They'd go a lot less often. The city is central, it can draw from all over much more easily, and its south of downtown so you already get big south suburban draw. You gain little, and lose a lot.

Third, you lose a significant chunk of the tourist crowd. I know its popular to point out the Cubs fan base being a bunch of people from Iowa, but fact is the Sox get some of those two. If the stadium is out there on the fringe, a lot fewer of those people will go.

The Sox need to move closer to the Loop, not further away from it.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
My guess would be public transportation issues, though Metra could probably cover it, depending on where it went

A long train ride, only reasonable from downtown or along that train line. Whereas in the city, its a short ride from downtown or the south burbs, and other burbs can still get there via downtown in fairly short time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 05:00 PM)
A long train ride, only reasonable from downtown or along that train line. Whereas in the city, its a short ride from downtown or the south burbs, and other burbs can still get there via downtown in fairly short time.

Agreed. Even though I'm from Homewood, it would certainly not be the best idea to put it in the 'burbs.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
The Sox need to move closer to the Loop, not further away from it.

I think they don't need to move at all right now.

But if they did in the future, I'd agree with you that closer is better, though the same location really is fine - just point it NE instead of SE next time.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
I think they don't need to move at all right now.

But if they did in the future, I'd agree with you that closer is better, though the same location really is fine - just point it NE instead of SE next time.

i 100% agree.

(Selfishly, i want them in AH or Schaumburg. lol)

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
Suburbs would not be good for the team and make them a redheaded step child of Chicago. I do think if they tore down and built a brand new stadium there, you would still have the fanbase occupying it as the allure is the neighborhood, bars, area and the Cubs as a team.

While I've never believed that a team would fill it's fan base by moving to the suburbs, it should be noted that as best as I can tell only 1 team playes outside the city limits of the city they are linked to. And that is the Marlins who play in Miami Gardens. And, they are moving to Miami in 2012. The Rangers are technically outside both Dallas and Forte Worth, but they are right in between them.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)
Doesn't matter, the Sox don't own the stadium. ISFA does, a state agency.

I know this has been discussed either here or at WSI but I think JR is on record as saying that he would not let the Cubs play at USCF.

Also, I believe the Sox own the parking lots.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
I know this has been discussed either here or at WSI but I think JR is on record as saying that he would not let the Cubs play at USCF.

Also, I believe the Sox own the parking lots.

Might be true about the lots, I don't know. But the Sox definitely do not own the stadium.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
I know alot of people are saying Schaumburg, but you would have to put a new stadium in Naperville, its the second largest city in the state. You could put it off of Rt 59 somewhere.

Also you need to consider, where in Schaumburg could they possibly build it?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
Or possibly in Milwaukee. It's all Cubs fans when they play up there anyway.

The scheduling of that would be brutal.

The Sox and Cubs already alternate days on the schedule.

My concern is unruly Cubs fans tearing up the decor around the park.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
I know alot of people are saying Schaumburg, but you would have to put a new stadium in Naperville, its the second largest city in the state. You could put it off of Rt 59 somewhere.

Actually it's 4th behind Rockford and Aurora. Might even be behind Joliet too.

Edited by Iwritecode