Rick White optioned to AAA

chunk23

I really want to see Ginter pitch a good amount in the next few weeks so we can see what we have and know if we'll be able to use him in close/late situations and in the playoffs.

white, don't let the door hit you on the way out. Last thing we need right now is any b****ing in a clubhouse that seems to have good chemistry (winning will usually do that)

I agree with everything you just said, and I really believe Ginter can be a very quality pitcher for the sox, and that they will be able to use him in close and late situations, I'm very happy to see him stay with the major league club.

No...........

Cotts will only be added if they need him to pitch in the Big Leagues this year.  Reed will not be added.

When you ask about players being on the "40 man roster" and the big league teams "25 man roster" are you asking about the same thing? I always thought the 40 man roster was those players that the team protected, and included the actual team roster and 15 minor leaguers we didn't want to lose. The 25 man roster was the group playing for the big league team. Please explain why Cotts is not on the 40 man roster already? There must be a rule that I am not aware of and I am confuced about the questions concerning adding someone to the 40 man roster.

Thanks!

No...........

Cotts will only be added if they need him to pitch in the Big Leagues this year.  Reed will not be added.

When you ask about players being on the "40 man roster" and the big league teams "25 man roster" are you asking about the same thing? I always thought the 40 man roster was those players that the team protected, and included the actual team roster and 15 minor leaguers we didn't want to lose. The 25 man roster was the group playing for the big league team. Please explain why Cotts is not on the 40 man roster already? There must be a rule that I am not aware of and I am confuced about the questions concerning adding someone to the 40 man roster.

Thanks!

Players don't have to be protected on the 40-man roster for 3 years (college draftee) or 4 years (HS draftee). Once you put them on the 40-man roster, then their MLB service time clock starts ticking which means arbitration and free agency come sooner. So it is wise to not put a player on the 40-man roster before you have to protect him unless you feel he is ready to make a significant contribution in the Majors and is ready to stay. If you feel he might be a year away, you wait.

For example, Matt Ginter was called up in 2000 instead of them letting him play in the Olympics. That started his service time clock and options. He has since been sent back to the Minors in 2001, 2002 and 2003, so he will be o ut of options next year, presenting the Sox with a lack of options. He either will have to make the Major League team next season out of spring training, be traded or placed on waiver to be sent back to AAA. If the Sox woudl have been a little more judicious with his callup (how much of a contribution did he really make in 2000?), they would still have one option on him next year, giving them roster flexibility.

Once a player gets to the point where he has to be protected, then he must be put on the 40-man roster by a certain date in the fall (Octoberish) or risk being lost in the Rule V draft.

There is more, but that is the long and short of it.

No...........

Thanks!

Players don't have to be protected on the 40-man roster for 3 years (college draftee) or 4 years (HS draftee). Once you put them on the 40-man roster, then their MLB service time clock starts ticking which means arbitration and free agency come sooner. So it is wise to not put a player on the 40-man roster before you have to protect him unless you feel he is ready to make a significant contribution in the Majors and is ready to stay. If you feel he might be a year away, you wait.

For example, Matt Ginter was called up in 2000 instead of them letting him play in the Olympics. That started his service time clock and options. He has since been sent back to the Minors in 2001, 2002 and 2003, so he will be o ut of options next year, presenting the Sox with a lack of options. He either will have to make the Major League team next season out of spring training, be traded or placed on waiver to be sent back to AAA. If the Sox woudl have been a little more judicious with his callup (how much of a contribution did he really make in 2000?), they would still have one option on him next year, giving them roster flexibility.

Once a player gets to the point where he has to be protected, then he must be put on the 40-man roster by a certain date in the fall (Octoberish) or risk being lost in the Rule V draft.

There is more, but that is the long and short of it.

damn, another great info that you were able to pass down to us, esp from an

angle i would never have looked at.

This is exactly the same thing the Sox did with Jiminez and Rios. With Jiminez, it gave them time to work a trade, which the Sox may be able to do with White. I would guess the Cardinals might want him, as they rehabbed him last year too. We might get a toss in.

I certainly hope he doesn't go the way of Rios and accept reassignment. He's blown his goodwill in the organization.

Cerb, do not even have to fill up 40-man to be 40, can stay at 38-39 if we elect, then we have ability to pick up someone who may get released, without wasting an option on someone like Cotts, Reed. Expecially in off season, the 40 man is rarely filled.

Cerb, do not even have to fill up 40-man to be 40, can stay at 38-39 if we elect, then we have ability to pick up someone who may get released, without wasting an option on someone like Cotts, Reed. Expecially in off season, the 40 man is rarely filled.

I know that the 40 can be left vacant at some points, was just wondering if the Sox had any thought of keeping it at 40 instead of 39.