*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 14, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
You are absolutely wrong on what P90X is. It's not a cardio program. You do TWO days of cardio a week. TWO. The rest are resistance training and Yoga - which is also a strength building practice, as well as helping with balance and overall fitness. Here are my before and afters, and tell me it doesn't help you build muscle.

day1.jpg

IMG_2216crop.jpg

Secondly, it burns more than a damn twinkie. If it didn't when you tried it, you weren't doing it right. I burn anywhere from 300 (yoga) to 1000 (plyo) calories every workout. What you said is asinine.

Great work Reddy!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 14, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
if you wanna BULK up, maybe not. If you want to be more athletic, and perform better in all areas of fitness, P90X is better than a typical weight-centric routine. I'd rather be doing yoga when I'm 80 than lookin' like the hulk right now.

Some people, such as myself, just want to maintain a 'decent shape', and have a great physical look to go with it -- without having to be in 'the best, fastest, most athletic shape possible'. I don't have the time anymore. When I was single and in my 20's, I had the time...now that I'm married, a father, and the only source of income for my family, I don't have hours to dedicate to staying that lean...not to mention I'm almost 37 now. I eat ice cream almost every day. And I like beer. Oh, and I just had a banana Slurpee from 7/11...and it was good. :)

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 14, 2012 -> 07:44 PM)
Some people, such as myself, just want to maintain a 'decent shape', and have a great physical look to go with it -- without having to be in 'the best, fastest, most athletic shape possible'. I don't have the time anymore. When I was single and in my 20's, I had the time...now that I'm married, a father, and the only source of income for my family, I don't have hours to dedicate to staying that lean...not to mention I'm almost 37 now. I eat ice cream almost every day. And I like beer. Oh, and I just had a banana Slurpee from 7/11...and it was good. :)

I used your arm routine last week (with the bowflex) and liked it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 14, 2012 -> 07:44 PM)

haha again i know y'all already know how i feel about p90x, but both you and jake gave gross misrepresentations - you about time, him about it being 'cardio-centric'. I spend an hour. one hour. every day. that's not a lot to ask.

again, we've had this convo and you can do your thing and i'll do mine and they're both GREAT - but lets call a spade a spade when we discuss different programs and how they work.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
Great work Reddy!

thanks man. crazy thing is that was only in my 2nd month of this round. got 4 more weeks till my 90 day shots. Then starting Asylum, and 30 days later starting P90X2!

i may be a little obsessed. lol

I didn't mean to give the impression that p90x is "merely" cardio. Both p90x and traditional weight lifting are forms of HIIT (high intensity interval training)

With weight lifting, you generally have an ultra-intense but relatively short work period with a rest period long enough to be near full strength. You're looking for ATP replenishment, which is possible to a large extent with rests of 1-5 minutes before these short work sets.

With p90x, it's all work (lower intensity since you're far from strength maximums) and very little rest relative to weight lifting rest.

So what you're getting:

weight lifting - building of maximal strength, muscle mass (be real people, you're not going to look like the Hulk unless you're mastering this discipline)

p90x - muscular endurance focused, cardiovascular endurance improved, more calorie burning effect, resistance oriented enough to build muscle in untrained individuals and retain muscle in some trained individuals with an effective calorie deficit diet

I'm not quick to choose one based on joints, however.

Weight lifting: Typically higher weights being "held" by joints. Those that use machines are more likely to experience joint problems.

p90x: MUCH higher volume and thus repetitive motion stress can be an issue. With higher volume and very low rest you also see form becoming an issue which can be bad for joints depending on what movement we're referring to.

I'm not going to speak for people with real joint issues, but feedback from those I work with is generally that those with joint issues prefer to do fewer repetitions on their joints. Usually the main problem with those that are hesitant to do weight lifting movements on joints is that they do not know how to get warmed up properly or are not performing movements properly.

And Reddy, you look great and have done a great job with changing your physique. First of all, thank your diet - if it was bad, you'd have gotten nowhere. Also, remember what I said as it pertains to those that are new to resistance training: results come quickly with just about any resistance program when that sort of training is new. I would not expect you to build muscle mass for an indefinite period of time while on p90x. However, I encourage you to keep doing what you're doing for as long as it works, as long as you like it (sounds like you do). If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 14, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)
haha again i know y'all already know how i feel about p90x, but both you and jake gave gross misrepresentations - you about time, him about it being 'cardio-centric'. I spend an hour. one hour. every day. that's not a lot to ask.

again, we've had this convo and you can do your thing and i'll do mine and they're both GREAT - but lets call a spade a spade when we discuss different programs and how they work.

That's where you are wrong. 1 hour every day IS a lot to ask. I work out 3-4 days a week, that's it...I don't have the time or energy to do more. When I was in my 20's, I'd work out 6 days a week for up to 2 hours a day. I'm closer to 40 now than I am to 20. My goal is maintain decent shape while remembering to live without boundaries...boundaries such as, OMG I can't eat that ice cream...it's full of fat and calories! f*** that. I'm having my cake and eating it, too. :) For the record, while in my 20's...I'd hardly ever "cheat" and eat things that were bad for me...almost never. I'm not willing to do that anymore.

We NEVER disagreed about P90X, or weight lifting, or any other work our regime working versus not working. We agree they all work, and they all have their specific benefits/downsides, etc...

We disagree on one simple thing. I find home workouts like P90X embarrassing. They're cheesy and often silly to listen too...and the moves they sometimes have you do are...how shall I say...stupid looking? :) This is an opinion of how things look/feel...NOT how they work.

Does P90X work? Absolutely yes.

I liken P90X to drinking beer out of a straw.

While lifting weights is more like grabbing the glass and chugging it.

Both work.

But let's be honest, drinking beer out of a straw always looks silly...and is embarrassing. :P

And also for the record: I have no doubt RR and Reddy are in better physical condition than me. NO doubt. I wish I had that low of a body fat percentage...I could, but at this juncture of my life I'm unwilling to make the sacrifices necessary to do it. But I have to admit, I've always favored the weight lifting/muscle size/look over the more cardio centric exercises, or exercises like P90X. Those tend to get you lean looking...and I'd love to look lean...but I want the mass to go with it...and no, without being a hulk. Just having that look! It's my goal. :D

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 14, 2012 -> 07:57 PM)
I used your arm routine last week (with the bowflex) and liked it.

I wish I had a bowflex in my house...that'd be great. Those are expensive.

And what exact arm routine did you use? The one I posted a few weeks ago?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
I wish I had a bowflex in my house...that'd be great. Those are expensive.

And what exact arm routine did you use? The one I posted a few weeks ago?

Yeah, plus some other stuff I use from P90. Did it again this morning.

I picked up the bowflex a few years ago off of Craigslist for about $300.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:23 AM)
That's where you are wrong. 1 hour every day IS a lot to ask. I work out 3-4 days a week, that's it...I don't have the time or energy to do more. When I was in my 20's, I'd work out 6 days a week for up to 2 hours a day. I'm closer to 40 now than I am to 20. My goal is maintain decent shape while remembering to live without boundaries...boundaries such as, OMG I can't eat that ice cream...it's full of fat and calories! f*** that. I'm having my cake and eating it, too. :) For the record, while in my 20's...I'd hardly ever "cheat" and eat things that were bad for me...almost never. I'm not willing to do that anymore.

We NEVER disagreed about P90X, or weight lifting, or any other work our regime working versus not working. We agree they all work, and they all have their specific benefits/downsides, etc...

We disagree on one simple thing. I find home workouts like P90X embarrassing. They're cheesy and often silly to listen too...and the moves they sometimes have you do are...how shall I say...stupid looking? :) This is an opinion of how things look/feel...NOT how they work.

Both work.

But let's be honest, drinking beer out of a straw always looks silly...and is embarrassing. :P

The biggest thing it did for me was giving me a structure to build off of. Even thought I don't follow the tapes very often anymore, I do follow the program's template and use a lot of the moves.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
Yeah, plus some other stuff I use from P90. Did it again this morning.

I picked up the bowflex a few years ago off of Craigslist for about $300.

Wow, that's a great price. Overall how do you feel about that product? Does it take up a ton of room?

I also still use moves from P90X which I weave into my routines from time to time. When I find something I feel works and works well, I use it...I don't care where I got the idea from...and there is no doubt P90X has some great ideas mixed in there.

And you are right, if you want to learn, and actually pay attention to how P90X is designed, it does build structure that you could follow...a lot of people don't really care about that and just want to be told what to do...but in any workout, there are ideas and reasons for doing what you're doing that you could take and learn from.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 15, 2012 -> 07:23 AM)

Both work.

i am absolutely the furthest thing from embarrassed about doing P90X, and I'm not sure why anyone would be to tell you the truth. i watched a video last night where Tony Horton did 7 pullups with an 85lb dumbbell between his feet. He did 15 pushups while on two stability balls. Asked one of the younger guys to try it, couldn't even do ONE. Try asking any gym-rat to do that, and I bet they couldn't either. I don't give a s*** if something looks silly - if it's gonna make me stronger, healthier and more athletic, I'll do it.

as for your analogy - P90X is like chugging that beer while in Half-Moon (yoga pose) and doing dumbbell curls with your empty hand.

EDIT: PS, Tony is a 54 year old man beating the panties off mid-20s guys. Don't gimme that "I'm 40 so it doesn't matter anymore" :P

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:33 AM)
Wow, that's a great price. Overall how do you feel about that product? Does it take up a ton of room?

I also still use moves from P90X which I weave into my routines from time to time. When I find something I feel works and works well, I use it...I don't care where I got the idea from...and there is no doubt P90X has some great ideas mixed in there.

And you are right, if you want to learn, and actually pay attention to how P90X is designed, it does build structure that you could follow...a lot of people don't really care about that and just want to be told what to do...but in any workout, there are ideas and reasons for doing what you're doing that you could take and learn from.

I think this is basically a more colorful version of the one I have, plus mine came with extra rods for a higher total weight.

4116DN4W6kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It folds up nicely so it's not bad in our basement, but it was a little cramped in our 2bdr condo where the second bedroom doubled as an office and a home gym with the bowflex and an elliptical. It's great for upper body exercises but the leg exercises are limited, awkward or a pain in the ass to set up. I do P90X-style stuff for that.

The rods are definitely not equivalent to real-world weights, though, and I think they lose resistance over time. My twig arms cannot curl 60 lbs each.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
i am absolutely the furthest thing from embarrassed about doing P90X, and I'm not sure why anyone would be to tell you the truth. i watched a video last night where Tony Horton did 7 pullups with an 85lb dumbbell between his feet. He did 15 pushups while on two stability balls. Asked one of the younger guys to try it, couldn't even do ONE. Try asking any gym-rat to do that, and I bet they couldn't either. I don't give a s*** if something looks silly - if it's gonna make me stronger, healthier and more athletic, I'll do it.

as for your analogy - P90X is like chugging that beer while in Half-Moon (yoga pose) and doing dumbbell curls with your empty hand.

Horton doesn't just do P90X to look like he does, either...he's also a weight trainer...but he's interested in selling P90X right now, so he's not going to say that. He actually shills a few other workout devices, too...just not as openly as P90X at the moment.

Also, what he does is typical salesmanship maneuvers...there are moves certain people can perform really well that others cannot, especially if they haven't trained to do that move. For example, I was able to do the same, only with tricep dips holding large weight...and I was able to launch myself off the bar and catch myself...so imagine me doing that and saying give it a try. Fact is, a lot of people can't even do a tricep dip and launch themselves in the air without a weight, let alone adding weight to it. Does that make me Mr. Fantastic? No. It merely means I've trained to do something...all Horton does is "sell" that.

EDIT: PS, Tony is a 54 year old man beating the panties off mid-20s guys. Don't gimme that "I'm 40 so it doesn't matter anymore" :P

It's also his livelihood...so seriously, get some perspective.

If I was able to dedicate that much time to working out, because it was...you know...my JOB to work out...I'd be in just as good shape as him. That's not hard. It's hard when you have a regular 8+ hour a day job, a commute from time to time, a child that wants to play with you every waking moment, things to do around the house because you own the house and have to upkeep it...to everyday life...

Horton has a pretty big advantage in that his 9-5 is working out.

Big f***ing deal. Of course he's in shape. He's paid handsomely to be.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 15, 2012 -> 07:44 AM)

If I was able to dedicate that much time to working out, because it was...you know...my JOB to work out...I'd be in just as good shape as him. That's not hard. It's hard when you have a regular 8+ hour a day job, a commute from time to time, a child that wants to play with you every waking moment, things to do around the house because you own the house and have to upkeep it...to everyday life...

haha touche on all counts.

Wait til you get to P90X2....get used to doing those pushups on stability and med balls...at first it was definitely pretty funny trying to do that...now it's like second nature for me...the thing I like about it is it has a focus on increasing your athleticism over gaining size or even leaning down as much as possible...which is all I really care about. I want to kick the s*** out of my peers at every sport I play...and if the program helps strengthen my core, improve my balance, and increase my agility and endurance, than it will definitely help accomplish that. Everything else falls into place for me after that...

As for the ongoing debate...to each their own...I wouldn't presume to tell someone else what to do...all I have done is encourage others who struggle to find a program that does work, to try P90...I've gotten quite a few people to try it, but most of them haven't followed through with it....and that's just an issue with their commitment level...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:47 AM)
Wait til you get to P90X2....get used to doing those pushups on stability and med balls.

Nothing silly looking there!

But really, so what? To me, the muscle-bound guy who is benching 450 lbs but can't turn his neck looks silly. It should be about improving yourself, not impressing other people with your workout routine.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)

Right...I admire him greatly, and I think he is excellent at what he does, but imagine hiring him on at your job and trying to train him about computers...he'd be just as ill-prepared to do those tasks as someone might be trying to do pullups with weights between their feet.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)

But really, so what? To me, the muscle-bound guy who is benching 450 lbs but can't turn his neck looks silly. It should be about improving yourself, not impressing other people with your workout routine.

Yeah, sometimes I felt like I was auditioning for the circus or something...but it really does force you to strengthen your core as opposed to placing all your weight on your feet and hands...

well soxtalk ate my post about Tony - but suffice it to say, he doesn't actually work out in a gym very often - if at all (of course he did when he was younger though). He has to lead workouts at his home doing variations on P90X/X2 every single day... on top of that he does beach workouts and runs programs all over the country for beachbody so... doubt HE has time to hit the gym!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:49 AM)

suggesting that P90X is like drinking beer out of a straw riled me up. :P

but I agree with both you and shack to each his own, and i've said that multiple times.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 15, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)
well soxtalk ate my post about Tony - but suffice it to say, he doesn't actually work out in a gym very often - if at all (of course he did when he was younger though). He has to lead workouts at his home doing variations on P90X/X2 every single day... on top of that he does beach workouts and runs programs all over the country for beachbody so... doubt HE has time to hit the gym!

I wonder how much money he made in the last three years...

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 15, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
suggesting that P90X is like drinking beer out of a straw riled me up. :P

but I agree with both you and shack to each his own, and i've said that multiple times.

So you admit you drink beer out of a straw? :D