*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
also as far as being cardio centric... did you have weights when you did it or only bands? that makes a huge, huge difference. and I do throw in extra resistance workouts like i mentioned a few days back - but as a program it is GREAT for leaning you out and shredding you up. My biceps and pecs are all bigger having done P90X. You just have to max out your weight at 7-8 reps and take longer breaks and you'll get size.

I used free weights, I don't have bands.

The P90X program is exactly what you described...a leaning/shredding program.

I don't have weights heavy enough at my house to perform the arm workouts I perform in the gym, for example. Same goes for every body part.

I do, however, still use P90X for the Plyo routine. I think it's the best leg workout there is, bar none.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
ok i'm sorry. what's silly is you and soxfan saying you feel "embarassed" to do it. who cares what other people think? If they think less of you for getting in shape and living a healthy life... um... well... then f*** em.

there. no ripping.

I pretty much said exactly that in my original post before he got mad at me and posted about how abrasive I am, after basically being abrasive about it. :P

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
I used free weights, I don't have bands.

The P90X program is exactly what you described...a leaning/shredding program.

I don't have weights heavy enough at my house to perform the arm workouts I perform in the gym, for example. Same goes for every body part.

I do, however, still use P90X for the Plyo routine. I think it's the best leg workout there is, bar none.

agreed on that last point.

i have a set of powerblocks so maybe that makes the difference.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
Sorry, I missed that, and I wasn't trying to be purposefully abrasive...but when I get someone saying something like, "well I can pick up chix at the bar!", it's kind of like...oh ok...so this is the kind of conversation we're having now. :P

And I wasn't really arguing a "position", I merely started by saying I find these home workouts to be somewhat embarrassing in that I won't do them in front of other people.

I didn't say they were bad or people shouldn't do them.

There is no currency greater in college among dudes than being able to pick up the hottest girls in the bars.

What kind of conversation are we having if it is about people poking fun at you for exercising? "Ooooh, look at him, he's mimicking the exercises they are doing on the tv! Hahaha...what a loser!"

Ummm...ok

I've been lifting weights for a bit here (I'm stronger, but still overweight), but gonna start Insanity again. I pray I stick to it this time as the night shift life sucks at times.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:14 AM)
I've been lifting weights for a bit here (I'm stronger, but still overweight), but gonna start Insanity again. I pray I stick to it this time as the night shift life sucks at times.

good luck man! insanity's tuffffff

i just don't like cardio. :P

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:14 AM)

G!...why do you keep trying to do that crazy program? It's not maintainable!

Do you have access to P90X?

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
agreed on that last point.

i have a set of powerblocks so maybe that makes the difference.

Even with those, there is only so much you can do with a set of dumbbells that don't match up what I do in the gym. As an example, here is my basic arm routine:

Wide Grip Bicep Curls with a 2 handed curl bar.

10 reps at 75lbs

8 reps at 90lbs

6 reps at 110 lbs

Skullcrushers (French Press)

10 reps at 75lbs

10 reps at 90lbs

10 reps at 110lbs

Single Arm Hammer Curls (with dumbbells)

10 reps at 30lbs

8 reps at 35lbs

6 reps at 40lbs

Tricep Dips

10 reps

10 reps

10 reps

---

There is one more set of exercises for this routine...and IMO, P90X does not match what this routine produces. That doesn't mean P90X is bad, it just isn't what I'm looking for in an arm workout.

Also, just because I find the videos to be embarrassing in front of other people doesn't mean I didn't do them when I was alone. :) I wasn't saying the videos suck, either...sorry if it came off that way.

I know I can be an abrasive individual at times...and there are times I'm trying to be...but this wasn't one of them. I do get abrasive toward the P90X crowd, however, when I'm told that that workout is better than any other workout there is and that's all there is too it. I have no problem with a person loving P90X...by all means, do it...but that's not the kind of workout everyone is searching for...or even likes.

To break it down to it's simplest form:

I find P90X to be "work", I find it long, drawn out and boring, DESPITE how hard it is.

I find the routines I perform in the gym to be "fun", despite the fact that it takes just as long. I also feel that while P90X makes me "overall exhausted", that my gym routines tend to leave those specific targeted body parts exhausted.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
Even with those, there is only so much you can do with a set of dumbbells that don't match up what I do in the gym. As an example, here is my basic arm routine:

Wide Grip Bicep Curls with a 2 handed curl bar.

10 reps at 75lbs

8 reps at 90lbs

6 reps at 110 lbs

Skullcrushers (French Press)

10 reps at 75lbs

10 reps at 90lbs

10 reps at 110lbs

Single Arm Hammer Curls (with dumbbells)

10 reps at 30lbs

8 reps at 35lbs

6 reps at 40lbs

Tricep Dips

10 reps

10 reps

10 reps

---

There is one more set of exercises for this routine...and IMO, P90X does not match what this routine produces. That doesn't mean P90X is bad, it just isn't what I'm looking for in an arm workout.

Also, just because I find the videos to be embarrassing in front of other people doesn't mean I didn't do them when I was alone. :) I wasn't saying the videos suck, either...sorry if it came off that way.

I know I can be an abrasive individual at times...and there are times I'm trying to be...but this wasn't one of them. I do get abrasive toward the P90X crowd, however, when I'm told that that workout is better than any other workout there is and that's all there is too it. I have no problem with a person loving P90X...by all means, do it...but that's not the kind of workout everyone is searching for...or even likes.

To break it down to it's simplest form:

I find P90X to be "work", I find it long, drawn out and boring, DESPITE how hard it is.

I find the routines I perform in the gym to be "fun", despite the fact that it takes just as long. I also feel that while P90X makes me "overall exhausted", that my gym routines tend to leave those specific targeted body parts exhausted.

that's completely fair. i'm a smaller guy, so sticking with 15-50lbs is enough for me for generally everything (sans Lawnmowers), so it's easier for me to get that in at home than it would be for you. P90X is by no means the be-all-end-all of workout regimens. BUT for people who don't have a lot of experience at the gym or don't have a trainer or were never on a sports team that taught them conditioning, it's a helluva program to target - like you said - the whole body.

and dude, you're lookin' at the king of abrasive over here. being a Beachbody Coach is a great exercise for me cuz I have to deal with people b****ing out on their workouts, but you can only yell at them so much before you have to switch it up and be nice to them and say it's ok that they're being a big ole bag of floppy wet vagina. So i get it. :P

EDIT: I LOVE how the soxtalk language filter bleeps b****ing, but the last part of my sentence gets by unscathed... even though it's disgusting. haha

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
ok i'm sorry. what's silly is you and soxfan saying you feel "embarassed" to do it. who cares what other people think? If they think less of you for getting in shape and living a healthy life... um... well... then f*** em.

there. no ripping.

I totally understand how silly it is to 'feel embarrassed' by those workouts...but it's the truth, it's how I feel when I perform them. I can't just 'not feel embarrassed', by something I find embarrassing, either, I wish I could. I still perform the P90X Plyo routine from time to time, but to this day I cannot do them in front of people.

I didn't mean to convey, in any regard, that I think P90X is a terrible workout. Quite the opposite, in fact...but they're not really my cup of tea.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:29 AM)
that's completely fair. i'm a smaller guy, so sticking with 15-50lbs is enough for me for generally everything (sans Lawnmowers), so it's easier for me to get that in at home than it would be for you. P90X is by no means the be-all-end-all of workout regimens. BUT for people who don't have a lot of experience at the gym or don't have a trainer or were never on a sports team that taught them conditioning, it's a helluva program to target - like you said - the whole body.

and dude, you're lookin' at the king of abrasive over here. being a Beachbody Coach is a great exercise for me cuz I have to deal with people b****ing out on their workouts, but you can only yell at them so much before you have to switch it up and be nice to them and say it's ok that they're being a big ole bag of floppy wet vagina. So i get it. :P

I'm actually very small myself. I'm only 5' 7" and I weigh about 158lbs. When I first got into working out, and this was over a decade ago, I was the little skinny kid that weighed in at about 120lbs.

I had to take almost two years off from working out because of fluke medical issues I went through over the last few years, but I'm finally "back" to full health and back in the gym...so it was just a few months ago that I was able to return to working out.

I think everyone should do whatever they like to do.

It's obvious, Y2H, that you know quite a bit about exercising and you are well-informed enough to know what works for you and what doesn't. I'm pretty sure that people that are really at an advanced stage can put together their own routines. I doubt Tony Horton does the P90X routine to keep himself in the shape he does.

I think the brilliance of P90X and 2 is that it packages a very effective workout that accomplishes the goals of what a large percentage of people are looking to accomplish by working out.

I don't feel embarrassed at all that I have to follow these videos to get in really good shape. And the results I have gotten are such that I wouldn't care if someone did make fun of me. In fact, there are a few people at work that like to poke fun of the "muscle confusion" thing, and I roll with it, but a lot of times that is just their way of deflecting their own feelings of inadequacy for being unwilling or unable to do the program themselves.

No one makes fun of me when I kick all their asses in our football and basketball games every weekend. In fact, that's when all the questions begin.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
I think everyone should do whatever they like to do.

It's obvious, Y2H, that you know quite a bit about exercising and you are well-informed enough to know what works for you and what doesn't. I'm pretty sure that people that are really at an advanced stage can put together their own routines. I doubt Tony Horton does the P90X routine to keep himself in the shape he does.

I think the brilliance of P90X and 2 is that it packages a very effective workout that accomplishes the goals of what a large percentage of people are looking to accomplish by working out.

I don't feel embarrassed at all that I have to follow these videos to get in really good shape. And the results I have gotten are such that I wouldn't care if someone did make fun of me. In fact, there are a few people at work that like to poke fun of the "muscle confusion" thing, and I roll with it, but a lot of times that is just their way of deflecting their own feelings of inadequacy for being unwilling or unable to do the program themselves.

No one makes fun of me when I kick all their asses in our football and basketball games every weekend. In fact, that's when all the questions begin.

It's important to keep active, especially as you age, because the less active you become, the more of being inactive becomes your routine. Once it's your routine, it's very hard to break.

This is why I dislike crash diets and crash workouts. For the record, I don't find P90X to be "crash"...the diet they have is a bit crash, but not the workouts themselves. Insanity, on the other hand, is a crash workout...it's unsustainable just like a crash diet...at least, in my opinion.

Also, I have more reading to do on the "muscle confusion" thing, but from what I've read over the years to this point, scientifically speaking, it isn't real. From the scientific research done on this...muscles are either overloaded or they're not, and there is no way to 'confuse them', as they simply perform actions they are able to perform and that's that.

I know P90X uses this term as a selling point, and it's a term that's existed in the weight lifting/exercise community for a LONNNNNNG time, but the way I see it...it's not really important. So long as you are doing something, you're doing something...and that's always going to be better than doing nothing.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
I'm actually very small myself. I'm only 5' 7" and I weigh about 158lbs. When I first got into working out, and this was over a decade ago, I was the little skinny kid that weighed in at about 120lbs.

I had to take almost two years off from working out because of fluke medical issues I went through over the last few years, but I'm finally "back" to full health and back in the gym...so it was just a few months ago that I was able to return to working out.

DUDE I'm 5'7" also! only at 135/40 right now (don't have a scale). I'd LOVE to be at 145/50 and have it be lean muscle.

now I'm gonna try and pick your brain for your secrets :)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 7, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
It's important to keep active, especially as you age, because the less active you become, the more of being inactive becomes your routine. Once it's your routine, it's very hard to break.

This is why I dislike crash diets and crash workouts. For the record, I don't find P90X to be "crash"...the diet they have is a bit crash, but not the workouts themselves. Insanity, on the other hand, is a crash workout...it's unsustainable just like a crash diet...at least, in my opinion.

Also, I have more reading to do on the "muscle confusion" thing, but from what I've read over the years to this point, scientifically speaking, it isn't real. From the scientific research done on this...muscles are either overloaded or they're not, and there is no way to 'confuse them', as they simply perform actions they are able to perform and that's that.

I know P90X uses this term as a selling point, and it's a term that's existed in the weight lifting/exercise community for a LONNNNNNG time, but the way I see it...it's not really important. So long as you are doing something, you're doing something...and that's always going to be better than doing nothing.

Yeah, I don't get caught up in their marketing mumbo jumbo...in P90X2, their new bread and butter is something called PAP, Post-Activation Potentiation. From what I can tell, this has been around for the last decade or so, and they are selling it as if it is brand new. They are also acting as if it will really benefit me, when it probably benefits someone training for like one special event in the olympics or something.

I really don't buy into the marketing stuff, and I really don't go too crazy about the diet...what I do love is that it is a structured routine that I can follow with relative ease and get awesome results. That's all I really care about.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
DUDE I'm 5'7" also! only at 135/40 right now (don't have a scale). I'd LOVE to be at 145/50 and have it be lean muscle.

now I'm gonna try and pick your brain for your secrets :)

At my best, I weighed right about 150lbs. Right now, I'm admittedly carrying about 7 lbs of fat I need to get rid of. ;) That's what I gained over the 18 month layoff from not working out in a serious fashion. I'm also weaker than I was at the time, obviously.

At my absolute peak, I weighed about 146lbs and I was able to pass the NFL strength test with 6 reps. :D Now, for a lot of people bench pressing 225lbs isn't a big deal...but when you weigh slightly over 145lbs, it's pretty f***ing hard. At that time, I was actually able to bench over 250lbs...but I'd only get 1 or 2 reps out of that.

Despite weighing 10+ pounds more than that right now, I know I couldn't do it. I'm not strong enough yet. I need another month in the gym.

Edited by Y2HH

muscle confusion.

yeah, i get how it may or may not be a thing. but to me, it makes sense that doing the same exact workout over and over will cause your muscles to plateau... get used to them... changing up your workouts every few weeks seems to just make logical sense. even changing the sequence of a workout. (although maybe MC is really brain confusion, and switching things up is just a way to keep people interested in the program and not get bored)

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:49 AM)
Yeah, I don't get caught up in their marketing mumbo jumbo...in P90X2, their new bread and butter is something called PAP, Post-Activation Potentiation. From what I can tell, this has been around for the last decade or so, and they are selling it as if it is brand new. They are also acting as if it will really benefit me, when it probably benefits someone training for like one special event in the olympics or something.

I really don't buy into the marketing stuff, and I really don't go too crazy about the diet...what I do love is that it is a structured routine that I can follow with relative ease and get awesome results. That's all I really care about.

One thing I can definitively say about P90X and what it does do...and does VERY well, is give you endless amounts of endurance.

My biggest problem has always been by diet. For a while, I was pretty strict on what I'd eat, etc...but that never works out long term. There are simply times where it's impossible to follow, so over time I decided that what I'd do is make health choices when available, but not dwell on it too much.

That, and beer.

I like beer. And when it comes to slimming down to your smallest percentage of body fat, beer = bad.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
good luck man! insanity's tuffffff

i just don't like cardio. :P

I've done it before. Finished the whole program two years ago and lost 40 pounds. Was in the best shape of my life.. then I got a job on the night shift and it all went downhill. (even worse)

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
G!...why do you keep trying to do that crazy program? It's not maintainable!

Do you have access to P90X?

No I do not, but I do it because I like the challenge. I was once a track star in high school (also all city in baseball, take that Jerry Owens!) so I always liked to run. Plus, that program has no weights which is good for me since I have none here and my body is more than enough weight these days.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 7, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)
muscle confusion.

yeah, i get how it may or may not be a thing. but to me, it makes sense that doing the same exact workout over and over will cause your muscles to plateau... get used to them... changing up your workouts every few weeks seems to just make logical sense. even changing the sequence of a workout. (although maybe MC is really brain confusion, and switching things up is just a way to keep people interested in the program and not get bored)

That is just a natural size "plateau" where your muscles simply cant get any bigger because the tendon holding them to the bone doesn't get bigger...your body knows when the growth is naturally unsustainable and stops as to prevent injury. One way to get over this is with steroids...where your body will allow the muscle to continue it's unnatural growth to the point it tears because the tendon simply wasn't made to sustain that kind of hold. That, or you can just push your workouts to a dangerous point where injury is inevitable.

What muscle confusion actually is, is a fancy term that people need to change up their workouts because the human body consists of muscles you don't tend to work out with most standard movements. If you do the same leg workout every week, odds are there are muscles you are missing in your legs...and this term, muscle confusion, was introduced to make sure you change up your routine so you're now hitting those previously untouched muscles, too. P90X, for example, is good at this because it covers such a wide variety of movements, that it inevitably hits every muscle you have. Over time, muscle confusion turned into a pseudo-scientific term that claims to allow you to overcome this natural size plateau...when that's not what it really does.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 7, 2012 -> 10:05 AM)
Ok, so if you are able to complete it again, is there some way to modify the program so that you can sustain a high level of fitness but without going all nuts about it?

Yes, but it's completely up to me to stop eating so late. I usually get enough of a workout at work, but the constant eating is what kills me. I'll either have to do this when I get out of work (very tired, not giving 100% of the effort) or do it when I wake up and try to stop the eating (and bad at that) when I get out at 5 in the morning.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ May 7, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
Yes, but it's completely up to me to stop eating so late. I usually get enough of a workout at work, but the constant eating is what kills me. I'll either have to do this when I get out of work (very tired, not giving 100% of the effort) or do it when I wake up and try to stop the eating (and bad at that) when I get out at 5 in the morning.

That's the hard part, and it's practically impossible to overcome without deciding to "starve yourself"...which isn't realistic. If you work out, you burn calories...the more calories you burn, the more fuel your body will want. This is natural. If you're working out and not eating, you'll simply feel starved all day long...which isn't fun.

Change up what you eat late...try to keep the carb count lower (if possible), and make sure you do your workouts...don't "skip days" unless you have a legitimate excuse, such as injury or sickness. If you do your workouts, despite eating late, you'll STILL lose weight and be in better shape.

Edited by Y2HH

I dont agree with being "big" as part of being healthy. I think the mass producing workouts in the 80's and 90's are a bit passe' and i think ultimately it turns out bad for people as they age. My knees suffered from having too much mass. This is why I like the p90/circuit training technique at least a few times a week as staying lean and being strong can be better for you in the long run. i think alot of the value in the P90 tapes is it helps teach people that endurance part of strength training which is very valuable in the long run as you get older.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 7, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
I dont agree with being "big" as part of being healthy. I think the mass producing workouts in the 80's and 90's are a bit passe' and i think ultimately it turns out bad for people as they age. My knees suffered from having too much mass. This is why I like the p90/circuit training technique at least a few times a week as staying lean and being strong can be better for you in the long run. i think alot of the value in the P90 tapes is it helps teach people that endurance part of strength training which is very valuable in the long run as you get older.

I agree with you, in part.

You are right when you say being big has nothing to be being healthy, but for that matter, neither does being "fit" or "lean". Yes, they are contributing factors, especially for things like diabetes, but not for every health concern, most of which you have zero control over, regardless of how clean of a lifestyle you live. With that said, people who bother doing any sort of workout, be it merely lifting weights, or running, also tend to pay closer attention to their diets and overall fitness/health. Also of note, I'm not "big", nor am I looking to be one of those meatheads that can't scratch their own back. I lie somewhere between the two "styles" of fitness of heavy weight training and P90X.

I absolutely agree that P90X is great for the endurance part of strength training, a part most weightlifters completely -- and IMO, stupidly -- ignore. I supplement my strength training routines with P90X Plyo routine, for legs, not to mention running/cycling/rollerblading depending on the season. I never do leg type "weight" workouts in the gym, such as squats, or deadlifts, etc...I think they are dangerous and terrible for your knees.

Mostly, you have to find what works for you and what keeps you interested. I know myself...and I know I get bored with non-gym home workouts like P90X rather quickly, and I also know that I enjoy going to a gym, which helps keep me focused so I stay on track. I can't stress enough that there is no ONE perfect workout for everyone...if P90X doesn't keep your interest, find something that does. But there IS a workout out there for everyone, of that, I'm convinced. They just have to find what it is.

Edited by Y2HH