*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 15, 2012 -> 12:03 PM)
Speaking of workout advice, does anyone know of any good and easy to perform calf stretching stretches? My left calf is a lot tighter than my right, and it's kind of always been that way, wondering if anyone knew a safe way to stretch that out aside from the usual lean forward against a wall stretch... :/

besides good ole downward dog and alternating pressing down on one calf with the other foot up?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hate how after 5+ years of this, my legs still decide that they have days where they are going to give as much effort as Lebron in a tough playoff series and I'm going to have to fight through it the whole day.

F*** you legs.

/rant.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 15, 2012 -> 11:38 AM)
Ok, here is my overall "goal".

Keep in mind that I was "laid off" from working out for well over a year while healing from a medical condition. So during that time, I put on about 10 lbs of fat. Ideally, I weight about 154lbs or so...right now I'm at about 162. I'm 5'7". My goal is to regain the muscle mass I lost and slowly shed that excess fat, which will happen in time.

So in all, I've been back to working out for the last 1.5 months or so. I did miss a week during a trip to Vegas during that time, too.

What I try to do, so long as nothing prevents me from doing it, such as family or my kid, is go to the gym on the 3 days I actually go into the office. Since my work has a gym on campus, I use that, it's 5$ a week. So on those 3 days, I weight train.

The other two days I work from home, and I have a treadmill in my house, so I run 1.5 to 2 miles on those 2 days, or on one of the weekend days if possible. If I feel extra ambitious, I'll do Plyo or Cardio X, instead of running. Ideally I'd like to do this 2 times, I often find myself only doing it once for one reason or another.

Ideally, I'd be working out 5 days a week, but something usually comes up which prevents that, and I end up missing a day at the gym because work is extra busy, or a day at home for various family reasons...so in all, I'd say I average out at 3 or 4 days a week, but lately it's only been 3. I do plan on restarting the cardio portion of my workouts this week...so that will bring me back up to 4 or 5.

My current progress: (sorry the image is somewhat fuzzy, but trying to take a pic of yourself in the gym is a douche move, even though I'm trying to document my progress), if I could drop some of that extra body fat, I'd be in great shape again...I wish I had taken a photo similar to this when I first started again, but until Reddy posted his, I hadn't really thought about it, but I guess it's a good idea so you can compare progress.

metoo.jpg

So as you can see, while a workout style like mine won't get you as lean as something like P90X, it can still tone you somewhat...but obviously you wouldn't get results like Reddy posted with bodyfat percentages in the single digits.

You look great man! The lean, shredded thing is primarily diet more than anything - but you know that.

as for pics, yeah I'm a huge believer in taking before and after pics because you can REALLY chart your progress. when you look in the mirror every day, you don't notice the small changes as they happen so you end up thinking "i don't look any different" even though you actually DO look DRAMATICALLY different.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 15, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
You look great man! The lean, shredded thing is primarily diet more than anything - but you know that.

as for pics, yeah I'm a huge believer in taking before and after pics because you can REALLY chart your progress. when you look in the mirror every day, you don't notice the small changes as they happen so you end up thinking "i don't look any different" even though you actually DO look DRAMATICALLY different.

Yea, I wish I had your dedication about diet right now, but like I said, I want to do this without having to give up things like ice cream -- and I know that's impossible. :) I will fight the odds!

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 15, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
Good idea...this is a P90X thing, right? I'll have to just use that.

It's a basic yoga move that's included in P90X's yoga and I think stretch routines. Get on your hands and balls of your feet and push your chest towards your feet. You can alternate which leg has the weight for additional stretching, too. I always overdo my calf muscles and this really helps.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 15, 2012 -> 01:49 PM)
Those guys are a bit too big...heh.

I promise you that nobody accidentally gets that big. They don't do it just throwing around dumbbells either :P

QUOTE (Jake @ May 15, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
I promise you that nobody accidentally gets that big. They don't do it just throwing around dumbbells either :P

i'm not sure anyone suggested they did it accidentally. how did they do it if not using dumbbells and barbells, oh wise sage of the weight room?

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 15, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
i'm not sure anyone suggested they did it accidentally. how did they do it if not using dumbbells and barbells, oh wise sage of the weight room?

PEDs.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 15, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
i dunno, those guys in the video don't look much more jacked than Tony. But yes, I'll grant you it's plausible. haha

Yes they do. They look 2 times his size. These guys are in hulk shape...I bet they couldn't even reach over and touch their own shoulderblades.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 15, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
Yes they do. They look 2 times his size. These guys are in hulk shape...I bet they couldn't even reach over and touch their own shoulderblades.

haha i just rewatched it. you may be right. lol

regardless. my point in posting it was so that Jake would see you CAN do hardcore weight training from a video.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 15, 2012 -> 01:03 PM)
Speaking of workout advice, does anyone know of any good and easy to perform calf stretching stretches? My left calf is a lot tighter than my right, and it's kind of always been that way, wondering if anyone knew a safe way to stretch that out aside from the usual lean forward against a wall stretch... :/

You need to stretch the entire leg from the top down, and that will help with the calf. If you have a dog leash that may work, I would also recommend rolling the calf if your gym has rollers or invest in one as they are cheap and good for your entire body after a workout.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 15, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
You need to stretch the entire leg from the top down, and that will help with the calf. If you have a dog leash that may work, I would also recommend rolling the calf if your gym has rollers or invest in one as they are cheap and good for your entire body after a workout.

Oh yeah! I have this thing called the Rumble Roller that is excellent for this...

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 15, 2012 -> 03:55 PM)
Oh yeah! I have this thing called the Rumble Roller that is excellent for this...

Heres the basic for folks who dont know what I am talking about

http://www.amazon.com/Fit-36-Inch-High-Den...6257&sr=8-1

For me, if I rolled my IT band 2 years ago as well as stretched my hammies I probably wouldnt have torn out my knee.

Has anyone tried out the new Nike "Hypercool 2.0" workout gear, particularly for running? I can't see paying upwards of $40 for a fancy T-Shirt to sweat in, but they've caught my eye. However, I'm a little worried that if I bought one, I'd end up looking like the guy who's trying too hard.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ May 21, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)
Has anyone tried out the new Nike "Hypercool 2.0" workout gear, particularly for running? I can't see paying upwards of $40 for a fancy T-Shirt to sweat in, but they've caught my eye. However, I'm a little worried that if I bought one, I'd end up looking like the guy who's trying too hard.

are you? :P

Went back to Grand Rapids this weekend to visit some friends. Some I haven't seen since December, others since February. I hit the 30 pound mark in weight loss recently and it was incredibly gratifying to get so many compliments and comments from people about how good I looked. All the hard work payed off, but I'm definitely glad this is more of a lifestyle change for me than a diet. I was gone THU-MON and didn't work out once. I came home tonight anxious to get a workout in tomorrow. I'm very proud of myself. I'm just about at the point where I start focusing more on increasing the weights and gaining more muscle rather than in cardio and toning. And I did it all with just a couple of adjustable dumbells up to 40 pounds, a couple resistance bands and a total gym in my basement.