*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
why? i do them - what's the diff between using dumbbells and a barbell? just stability?

Stability would be one use for doing a DB dead lift. Otherwise, I just dont see it as particularly safe vs the barbell equivalent as the movement is in itself very difficult and adding two independent weights (that are too low to the ground) that can move in several directions only makes it harder to master. The obvious alternative is to lessen the load, which is likely to make the movement turn into a sort of hack squat exercise instead of a posterior chain movement. It's something that could theoretically work but I don't see the utility in practice.

In most cases I'm guessing there are two outcomes:

1. Significant risk of back injury

2. It turns into a legs-only exercise with little resistance

A single leg DB squat would be superior for stability and in that case I'd recommend doing it with a straight leg instead. Can't load much weight on this movement either but you'll gain more in the stability aspect.

Before I give out my current max in benching and my ultimate goal for this year, where do you guys think I'm at? I'm 5'5 160lbs.

Just want to see where I should be and what you guys have seen at the gym since it's hard to compare myself with others since they're usually taller than I am. Be honest. :)

QUOTE (Yoda @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)
Before I give out my current max in benching and my ultimate goal for this year, where do you guys think I'm at? I'm 5'5 160lbs.

Just want to see where I should be and what you guys have seen at the gym since it's hard to compare myself with others since they're usually taller than I am. Be honest. :)

Usually benching your weight is the first big benchmark on your way to being a strong guy. Different limitations can sometimes make it hard to get past that while others have no problems beating that. Oftentimes shorter guys have an easier time progressing, especially on bench. The weight just doesn't have to move as far. My guess is that if you're ready to brag about your max, you're probably around BW and could be hoping for much higher.

I have absolutely no idea what I could bench...I haven't tried in like 20 years...

I really think most people would benefit more from the exercises that build core strength, balance, stability, agility, etc. Unless you are lifting heavy stuff out in the field or something, it just seems like you're asking for an injury to happen (as Jake alluded to).

Reddy, for all the Beachbody enthusiasm you have, have you taken a look at P90X2 yet?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
I have absolutely no idea what I could bench...I haven't tried in like 20 years...

I really think most people would benefit more from the exercises that build core strength, balance, stability, agility, etc. Unless you are lifting heavy stuff out in the field or something, it just seems like you're asking for an injury to happen (as Jake alluded to).

Reddy, for all the Beachbody enthusiasm you have, have you taken a look at P90X2 yet?

can't wait to do it, just decided to ride the wave and use the newest program, since i figure it'll give me an edge business-wise as one of the first folks to finish the program. I'll probably tackle X2 afterwards.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 28, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
Usually benching your weight is the first big benchmark on your way to being a strong guy. Different limitations can sometimes make it hard to get past that while others have no problems beating that. Oftentimes shorter guys have an easier time progressing, especially on bench. The weight just doesn't have to move as far. My guess is that if you're ready to brag about your max, you're probably around BW and could be hoping for much higher.

Good post. I've been past benching my own weight and am currently working towards benching 100lbs more than that. I'm at 235lbs and I'm sure this week I will get 240 since I felt pretty good doing the former early last week.

There's a bench competition they have in the fall at my gym and am hoping if all goes well (no injuries, fall semester courses, etc) I'll be competing. I asked the athletic director to give me last years results and the year before that (which I was a part of) and it seems like it's the same guy coming out on top. An asian guy coming in at 135lbs and benching 245 so its an automatic that I have to bench at least 100lbs or more my own weight.

QUOTE (Yoda @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
Good post. I've been past benching my own weight and am currently working towards benching 100lbs more than that. I'm at 235lbs and I'm sure this week I will get 240 since I felt pretty good doing the former early last week.

There's a bench competition they have in the fall at my gym and am hoping if all goes well (no injuries, fall semester courses, etc) I'll be competing. I asked the athletic director to give me last years results and the year before that (which I was a part of) and it seems like it's the same guy coming out on top. An asian guy coming in at 135lbs and benching 245 so its an automatic that I have to bench at least 100lbs or more my own weight.

That's awesome man, keep hitting it hard then. I'd say the "guys at the gym" certainly respect you at that weight :D

QUOTE (Yoda @ Jul 29, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)

It's sometimes hard to know what your max bench is without a spotter...so if you tend to work out alone, such as I do, performing maxouts isn't easy. I currently weigh about 162 (IMO, I'm about 10lbs over my target weight), and I can bench over 230...how much over, I don't know...because without a spotter I won't even try. Don't overdo it unless you have a spotter. Just go after small gains, a week at a time.

Going for 3RM, 5RM achieves basically the same end without the injury risk of frequent 1RM work. Some power lifters never get within 5-10% of their max until the meet. There are 1RM calculators out there to help you figure it out based on these more easily attained training maxes

hey y'all. just for today you can try out P90X and Shakeology for $15 (just shipping) and not pay anything unless you decide to keep it after 30 days. Nice option if anyone wants to try it out before they commit the cash.

Figure most of you guys have already done it, but if there are any lurkers in this thread, I figured I'd post it.

here's the link: http://teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/B...ingRepId=142203

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:05 AM)
Actually Reddy, I am considering giving Shakeology a shot.

Sell me a bit on it...

What I'm about to say sounds like a sales pitch, and I guess it kind of is, but it's also all from my own experience.

1) Shakeology is the absolute healthiest shake on the market. It's made up of 70+ superfoods that you just can't get in other mass-market health shakes

2) It costs $4/shake, which is comparable to a shake at the gym and the same price as a Naked Juice, which is pure sugar and hardly anything else

3) Benefits include: lowers cholesterol, more energy, clearer skin, improved digestion and detox benefits, improved immune system function. I've been using the stuff for 6 months, and haven't gotten sick once - haven't even felt under the weather. I'm sure it's a combination of things including improving my diet, but Shakeology's played a big part in that.

4) Full day's worth of fruit+veggies in one shake

5) 23 vitamins and minerals including Vitamin K

6) Tastes good. :)

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)
What I'm about to say sounds like a sales pitch, and I guess it kind of is, but it's also all from my own experience.

1) Shakeology is the absolute healthiest shake on the market. It's made up of 70+ superfoods that you just can't get in other mass-market health shakes

2) It costs $4/shake, which is comparable to a shake at the gym and the same price as a Naked Juice, which is pure sugar and hardly anything else

3) Benefits include: more energy, clearer skin, improved digestion and detox benefits, improved immune system function. I've been using the stuff for 6 months, and haven't gotten sick once - haven't even felt under the weather. I'm sure it's a combination of things including improving my diet, but Shakeology's played a big part in that.

4) Full day's worth of fruit+veggies in one shake

5) 23 vitamins and minerals including Vitamin K

6) Tastes good. :)

Naked juice is fruit...they add no sugar...so the sugar you get from it is whatever is in the fruit. If these Shakeology shakes have "fruit" in them, but no sugar...they're not real...they're doing something to remove the natural sugars.

There is nothing wrong with the sugars in fruit...nothing.

My diet basically includes bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, hard-boiled eggs, carrots, raisins, watermelon, pineapple, cantaloupe, and mozzarella cheese...with some peanuts thrown in....I eat all this in two salads, one for lunch and one for dinner. I may add some bananas in if I have them.

Would I benefit from adding something like shakeology, or am I already getting all of this?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
Naked juice is fruit...they add no sugar...so the sugar you get from it is whatever is in the fruit. If these Shakeology shakes have "fruit" in them, but no sugar...they're not real...they're doing something to remove the natural sugars.

There is nothing wrong with the sugars in fruit...nothing.

this is wrong on a couple counts

1) Shakeology does have sugar, just a lot less than the 60g in a Naked Juice

2) There's plenty wrong with sugars in fruit. Those sugars are IDENTICAL to the sugars in a coke or kool-aid. Fructose is fructose. That's why folks who drink a lot of fruit juice have trouble losing weight even though they THINK they're eating healthy. The reality is, we should be limiting our fruit juice intake as much as our soft drink intake. WHOLE FRUIT at least has fiber as well, but juices are pure sugar.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
My diet basically includes bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, hard-boiled eggs, carrots, raisins, watermelon, pineapple, cantaloupe, and mozzarella cheese...with some peanuts thrown in....I eat all this in two salads, one for lunch and one for dinner. I may add some bananas in if I have them.

Would I benefit from adding something like shakeology, or am I already getting all of this?

yeah you would. Shakeology has ingredients like:

Quinoa

Flax seed

Pomegranate

Maca Root

Ginko Biloba

Goji Berry

Luo Han Guo

Acai

and a ton more

essentially what i'm getting at, is it includes ingredients and nutrients that we don't typically GET in a Western diet. but these superfoods are what contribute to the longevity and health among eastern nations where they're prevalent.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
this is wrong on a couple counts

1) Shakeology does have sugar, just a lot less than the 60g in a Naked Juice

2) There's plenty wrong with sugars in fruit. Those sugars are IDENTICAL to the sugars in a coke or kool-aid. Fructose is fructose. That's why folks who drink a lot of fruit juice have trouble losing weight even though they THINK they're eating healthy. The reality is, we should be limiting our fruit juice intake as much as our soft drink intake. WHOLE FRUIT at least has fiber as well, but juices are pure sugar.

It's not wrong unless you take it out of context, which you did.

Like anything, you have to control/moderate your intake of anything...drinking 50 shakes a day isn't recommended either...so you probably shouldn't drink 50 naked juices a day.

There is a difference between processed and natural sugars...

For example, eating a few pieces of fruit a day is better than drinking a few cokes a day. Something you were happy to gloss over just now. There is only something wrong with the sugars in fruit if you overdo it, just like anything else.

Shakeology is a meal replacement...I disagree with meal replacement diets in shake form, always have.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
yeah you would. Shakeology has ingredients like:

Quinoa

Flax seed

Pomegranate

Maca Root

Ginko Biloba

Goji Berry

Luo Han Guo

Acai

and a ton more

essentially what i'm getting at, is it includes ingredients and nutrients that we don't typically GET in a Western diet. but these superfoods are what contribute to the longevity and health among eastern nations where they're prevalent.

Yeah, I realize that there are always going to be things you can supplement with...but our bodies can survive and thrive eating local diets just fine...I don't think nature contemplates we are going to get the full worldly smorgasbord of nutrients from all corners of the globe. Are these other nutrients, at $4 a day, really going to add a recognizable difference to my health, or is it just small returns at this point?

I'd like to add, that is my base diet. I certainly will splurge on the weekend and have pizza or maybe have some pho for lunch once in awhile. But those ingredients I listed above are about 75% of my food intake over the course of a normal week.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
It's not wrong unless you take it out of context, which you did.

Like anything, you have to control/moderate your intake of anything...drinking 50 shakes a day isn't recommended either...so you probably shouldn't drink 50 naked juices a day.

There is a difference between processed and natural sugars...

For example, eating a few pieces of fruit a day is better than drinking a few cokes a day. Something you were happy to gloss over just now. There is only something wrong with the sugars in fruit if you overdo it, just like anything else.

Shakeology is a meal replacement...I disagree with meal replacement diets in shake form, always have.

dude stop making assumptions. you're extrapolating what i'm saying to a ridiculous extent. I also agree with moderation.

I use Shakeology as a supplement - NOT a meal replacement.