Leslie Anderson DFA'd by Rays

Kenny Hates Prospects

This is a nice potential opportunity for us IMO. The guy can play CF legitimately plus RF plus back up 1B and is a lefty bat to boot. He has a little pop and some speed, plus he can draw a walk. He makes a lot of contact too, and that could help coming off the bench.

I wonder if the Rays would be interested in Teahen + cash? Or if not, Anderson actually makes Teahen a better fit on the ballclub IMO.

Bench:

S Vizquel 2B/SS/3B

R Castro C

L Anderson LF/CF/RF/1B

???

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 10:43 PM)
This is a nice potential opportunity for us IMO. The guy can play CF legitimately plus RF plus back up 1B and is a lefty bat to boot. He has a little pop and some speed, plus he can draw a walk. He makes a lot of contact too, and that could help coming off the bench.

I wonder if the Rays would be interested in Teahen + cash? Or if not, Anderson actually makes Teahen a better fit on the ballclub IMO.

Bench:

S Vizquel 2B/SS/3B

R Castro C

L Anderson LF/CF/RF/1B

???

Plus we have our own talent for that extra outfielder

Found this on that:

Tampa Bay Rays Sign Cuban Defector Leslie Anderson

By Josh Alper

MLB Blogger | Follow on Twitter: @JoshAlper

Text SizeAAAPrint this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Lifestream

The Rays aren't leaving any stones unturned to supply themselves with options in case Carl Crawford and/or Carlos Pena leave as free agents after this season. They confirmed Thursday that they've signed Cuban defector Leslie Anderson, a first baseman and outfielder, to a four-year deal.

Anderson, who will get $3.75 million according to El Nuevo Herald, was one of more than 20 players who defected from Cuba via a boat to Mexico just before last year's World Cup. The 27-year-old was part of Cuba's World Baseball Classic team last year and has been working out in Mexico. His lawyer, Jaime Torres, thinks he'll be in the mix for a major league job this summer.

"I think this is a young man that can compete this year in the major leagues," Torres said. "Right now we're trying to see how quickly we can get him into camp."

We're not so sure. For one thing, Anderson hasn't even arrived in camp yet and we're drawing ever closer to Opening Day. For another, the Rays just signed Hank Blalock, another lefty swinging corner player who has the added benefit of actually playing in the major leagues before. Chances are the Rays are going to want the 27-year-old to spend some time getting acclimated in the minors while they figure out just what they've got.

On that front, it's worth noting that a February workout for major league teams left scouts unimpressed. Jorge Arangue of ESPN.com quoted one as saying that Anderson, who hit .320 in his eight-year career in Cuba, was "mediocre at best" without the necessary power to fill a corner spot with a big league team. Presumably that scout was either not from the Rays or was trying to clear the playing field for Tampa to get their guy without a bidding war. Jose Julio Ruiz, a 25-year-old Cuban outfielder/first baseman, also took part in that February workout and is believed to be a superior hitter than Anderson. Reports have several teams chasing him, but he recently switched agents and that has slowed down the process of getting him into a big league camp.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
Found this on that:

Tampa Bay Rays Sign Cuban Defector Leslie Anderson

By Josh Alper

MLB Blogger | Follow on Twitter: @JoshAlper

Text SizeAAAPrint this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Lifestream

The Rays aren't leaving any stones unturned to supply themselves with options in case Carl Crawford and/or Carlos Pena leave as free agents after this season. They confirmed Thursday that they've signed Cuban defector Leslie Anderson, a first baseman and outfielder, to a four-year deal.

Anderson, who will get $3.75 million according to El Nuevo Herald, was one of more than 20 players who defected from Cuba via a boat to Mexico just before last year's World Cup. The 27-year-old was part of Cuba's World Baseball Classic team last year and has been working out in Mexico. His lawyer, Jaime Torres, thinks he'll be in the mix for a major league job this summer.

"I think this is a young man that can compete this year in the major leagues," Torres said. "Right now we're trying to see how quickly we can get him into camp."

We're not so sure. For one thing, Anderson hasn't even arrived in camp yet and we're drawing ever closer to Opening Day. For another, the Rays just signed Hank Blalock, another lefty swinging corner player who has the added benefit of actually playing in the major leagues before. Chances are the Rays are going to want the 27-year-old to spend some time getting acclimated in the minors while they figure out just what they've got.

On that front, it's worth noting that a February workout for major league teams left scouts unimpressed. Jorge Arangue of ESPN.com quoted one as saying that Anderson, who hit .320 in his eight-year career in Cuba, was "mediocre at best" without the necessary power to fill a corner spot with a big league team. Presumably that scout was either not from the Rays or was trying to clear the playing field for Tampa to get their guy without a bidding war. Jose Julio Ruiz, a 25-year-old Cuban outfielder/first baseman, also took part in that February workout and is believed to be a superior hitter than Anderson. Reports have several teams chasing him, but he recently switched agents and that has slowed down the process of getting him into a big league camp.

People said similar things about Alexei too. It's important to note that the Rays gave him a hefty bonus, and that he was still just a prospect despite being nearly MLB-ready. These bonuses for most teams probably come out of different (non MLB team) budgets. As a result, a scout may, for example, have no problem calling someone like Leslie Anderson a nice 4th OF and a starter on a mediocre or bad team, but if asked about that player he would appear to crap on him, and that's because the scout would recommend that any 7-figure bonus be given to a prospect with a higher ceiling either in the rule-4 draft or elsewhere. But in terms of value to an MLB club, Anderson at his pricetag could end up being a nice little bargain.

QUOTE (OsweGo-Go Sox @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 03:55 PM)
We already signed Lastings Milledge.

Except Lastings Milledge is not a CF, he has only taken steps backward since 2007, and he is only pushing a career .269/.328/.394/.723 line to begin with. His signing is being overrated all over this board. He'll probably amount to nothing at all but a mediocre offensive 4th/5th OF who is a liability in CF.

When it comes to a bench, go with defense first and then look for a bat IMO - especially when you have a s***ty OF like we do. Anderson gives us the defense and I don't see how he's any less of a sure thing offensively than Milledge is.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
If we could get Anderson and maybe teach him a little 3B, I'd like our bench if it were:

C - Castro

1B/3B/OF - Anderson

3B/SS/2B - Vizquel

OF - Milledge

Going to be pretty tough for Anderson to play 3B throwing with his left hand.

---

I seem to recall there being a clause in Anderson's contract that if the Rays didn't get rid of him, he would be guaranteed $4 million over a 2-4 year period. That would be a big reason why they got rid of him if it's true.

Like in the SLAM section with Celebrity (insert name) is dead, we should have a permanent thread Player (insert name) was DFA'd. A lot of people aim low on this board. When a White Sox player has a bad week, the inevitable he needs to be DFA'd post pop up, yet when other teams DFA or release someone, they become one of the most popular players on Soxtalk. Anderson is at least 28. What he's shown is most likely what he'll be, and it isn't very impressive.

He did collect quite a few hits while posting a +.300 BA. Played for 3 teams last year in a brand new country for the first time. I have no problem sticking him in our minor leagues, but this dude really has no future as a regular in our outfield. Better than JoDanks with the bat at this point if that means anything.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 07:46 PM)
He did collect quite a few hits while posting a +.300 BA. Played for 3 teams last year in a brand new country for the first time. I have no problem sticking him in our minor leagues, but this dude really has no future as a regular in our outfield. Better than JoDanks with the bat at this point if that means anything.

I bet when Jordan Danks is 28 he'll be able to hit .300 at Durham.

Having Alexei and Dayan here with a Spanish-speaking manager and coaches, along with Omar, could make us an ideal fit. He can't be too awful expensive.

Kenny the only Cuban's you're gonna see this year are the ones Mauer and Morneau smoke after winning the A.L. central titlepost-8252-1297218353_thumb.jpg

SLAPSHOT! :fight :huh

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 04:46 PM)
Going to be pretty tough for Anderson to play 3B throwing with his left hand.

---

I seem to recall there being a clause in Anderson's contract that if the Rays didn't get rid of him, he would be guaranteed $4 million over a 2-4 year period. That would be a big reason why they got rid of him if it's true.

Touche.

QUOTE (WhiteSUX @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
Kenny the only Cuban's you're gonna see this year are the ones Mauer and Morneau smoke after winning the A.L. central titlecuban_cigars.jpg

So you're implying that Mauer and Morneau are communists that hate America?

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (WhiteSUX @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)
Kenny the only Cuban's you're gonna see this year are the ones Mauer and Morneau smoke after winning the A.L. central titlecuban_cigars.jpg

Actually, Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo are both Cuban, and odds are very good that Kenny Hates Prospects will almost certainly watch a White Sox game, whether in Spring Training or the regular season, with both players being in the game, so hence he would see Cubans (PLURAL with the "s", not a possessive 's), so the logic behind this post in several spots is actually incorrect.

Also, having a Cuban cigar is illegal in the United States, so they better be in Morneau's home or they'd be arrested.

Bye.

I've actually wondered at times why I haven't been perma-banned myself, but now I see why. You really do have to do quite a bit to get canned around here.

WhiteSUX is hilariously bad as a troll. The name is about as lame and uncreative as one could get, the posting style is nothing but mindless baiting, there's zero wit involved (and I know, the idiot PMed me and I had to block his dumbass - and I'm probably not the only one, either) and the posts are only offensive because they're of such low quality. Real trolls are capable of walking a fine line and at least occasionally coming up with something intelligent/humorous to say, but wow, this little rag is just TURRIBLE. He's going to get himself banned eventually (one sweet sunny day) and then afterwards I'm sure he'll be like "Yeah, I told those Sux fans what's up! Bet they're all mad at the Twins now!" without realizing that no one actually cares and he didn't even bother to get his money's worth in the process. What a weakass troll. Pathetic.

Yeah, tons of great of debates resulted from WhiteSUX.

Baiting + ruining perfectly good threads like this one with "Derr my team is better!" sports retardism = great debate.

On a side note, thank you to the mods for not banning me. I made a couple posts thinking I'd get banned for them and I didn't expect to be able to log in afterwards, but here I am. So thank you again.