Soxtalk 20-team League

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)
That was you? Dickhead. lol. I'm not really mad. I've just got to get used to having guys that are readily available in most leagues yet scooped up by every team in this Oprah of a league.

Hahaha yea definitely, I was just waiting for someone to pick up on my drafting him. Hell, I dropped almost every reliever that the comp picked me.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 06:44 PM)
I'm losing to a team with two players on the disabled list in the starting line up.. Yup, fantasy season has begun.

Throw everything out the window that's normal in this league. I still can't fathom that I'm starting the likes of Wilson Valdez, Adam Lind and Matt Laporta.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 07:38 PM)
Throw everything out the window that's normal in this league. I still can't fathom that I'm starting the likes of Wilson Valdez, Adam Lind and Matt Laporta.

My main power sources so far have been Willie Bloomquist and Elvis Andrus.. Normal is out the window! though I'm perfectly content with my SP.. can't quite figure out where to find holds though, is every team's bullpen a mess? I thought that was just the Sox.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 07:38 PM)

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)
My main power sources so far have been Willie Bloomquist and Elvis Andrus.. Normal is out the window! though I'm perfectly content with my SP.. can't quite figure out where to find holds though, is every team's bullpen a mess? I thought that was just the Sox.

Hahahaha, what's abnormal about this league, when compared to "normal" 12-team leagues, is actually totally normal for 20-team leagues. :-p if that makes any sense, lol.

I set up my 20-team leagues so that all teams would end up having realistic-looking rosters when compared to real-life mlb. If you think about it, the real life mlb has 30 teams with 25-man rosters, my leagues have 20 teams with 25-man rosters, so the teams in my league actually end up a little more power-packed than real-life mlb teams but still look realistic enough. :)

And bullpens are a toss-up, just like the real-life mlb. :)

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
Hahahaha, what's abnormal about this league, when compared to "normal" 12-team leagues, is actually totally normal for 20-team leagues. :-p if that makes any sense, lol.

I set up my 20-team leagues so that all teams would end up having realistic-looking rosters when compared to real-life mlb. If you think about it, the real life mlb has 30 teams with 25-man rosters, my leagues have 20 teams with 25-man rosters, so the teams in my league actually end up a little more power-packed than real-life mlb teams but still look realistic enough. :)

And bullpens are a toss-up, just like the real-life mlb. :)

I wanted into this league because of the realistic rosters, no "corner," "middle infielder," or 5 OFs, those leagues annoy me. What really threw me off after the draft was that outfielders don't qualify at "OF" but at specific positions. It makes filling empty slots on Monday and Thursday a little different. I'm enjoying the challenge so far.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 5, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
I wanted into this league because of the realistic rosters, no "corner," "middle infielder," or 5 OFs, those leagues annoy me. What really threw me off after the draft was that outfielders don't qualify at "OF" but at specific positions. It makes filling empty slots on Monday and Thursday a little different. I'm enjoying the challenge so far.

Yea, Chris. Leagues with "corner" infielders and "middle" infielders annoy the crap out of me as well. I just never saw the point to it.

I also always preferred having the outfield set to LF/CF/RF instead of OF/OF/OF because I like the complexity it brings just like you pointed out. It's almost too easy when leagues are set to OF and you happen to have 3 centerfielders in Matt Kemp, Alex Rios, and Andrew McCutchen. Plus when it's set to only OF, there's not really any decisions you have to make besides who to start between your 3rd and 4th outfielder. But when leagues are set to LF/CF/RF you'll have to make sure you have the spots covered, even if it means playing a lesser player and being stuck "choosing" between 2 elite players at 1 position each day if you also have an elite person slotted at Util. It just creates lots of different scenarios. :)

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 08:38 PM)

And you're crushing me in offense, fortunately my pitching is holding up and keeping this an interesting matchup.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 07:55 PM)
So how are everyone enjoying the 20-team league this year? :-)

Ther's still lots of competition for the #7 and #8 playoff slots, things are gonna get interesting. :gosox1:

I've sucked ever since I bragged about reaching first place. lol. I do like the league, though. Ton more strategy involved. Man I'm so glad I scooped up Dustin Ackley before anybody else got a chance. He's giving me Robinson Cano production so far. Definitely been a godsend.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Soxtalk 20-team league is returning this year with all the same rules and settings as last year.

Invites were sent out to all the teams that played last year, and so far 5 out of 20 teams have returned and signed up. Lets get the ball rolling and get more people signed up.

I do anticipate on having some vacancies, so if you're interestd in joining this league, then please PM me or post a message on this thread if you're interested in joining this league. So far I have one confirmed vacancy.

If anyone is interested in joining this league, here is some basic information about this league, which is entering it's second year...

League Name: SoxTalk 20Team Baseball League

Season Type: Full

Draft Type: Live Standard Draft

Draft Time: Fri Mar 9 8:15pm CST [ Add to My Calendar ]

Max Teams: 20

Scoring Type: Head-to-Head

Player Universe: All baseball

New Players Become Available: As soon as Yahoo! adds themView List of Forced Players

Max Acquisitions for Entire Season: No maximum

Max Trades for Entire Season: No maximum

Trade Reject Time: 2

Trade End Date: August 19, 2012

Allow Draft Pick Trades: No

Waiver Time: 2 days

Waiver Type: Continual rolling list

Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports

Trade Review: Commissioner

Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules

Max Acquisitions per Week: No maximum

Min Innings Pitched: 9

Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow

Start Scoring on: Week 1

Playoffs: Week 23, 24 and 25 (8 teams)Note: Week 25 runs 10 days from Sep 24 to Oct 3

Playoff Reseeding: No

Lock Eliminated Teams: No

Divisions: No

Make League Publicly Viewable: No

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, RP, RP, RP, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL

Batters Stat Categories: Runs ®, Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base Percentage (OBP)

Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Holds (HLD), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP)

If you're interested in joining this league, please post a message in this thread or PM me. Make sure you give me your email address in the PM.

I'm in. I gotta defend my title.

For anyone who is wondering, this league is a helluva lot of fun. The draft gets borderline ridiculous in the late rounds, and trades can (have to be!) pretty creative.

I had a very fun, albeit one-sided, rivalry with knightni last year. I really hope he comes back. Great trade partner, that one.