Soxtalk 20-team League

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
Hey, Don. Forgive me if you've answered this before. I'm hungover as s*** and I don't remember. Is this going to he a standard head2head snake draft?

Yea, it'll be a standard head-2-head scoring with a live snake draft. :)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
Will we know draft order anytime before the draft? I'd like to do a mock or two in regard to where I'm drafting if possible.

The draft order will be completely random and it will be automatically generated by yahoo a couple minutes before the draft starts. I've always done it this way cause I always thought it was the most fair way for all involved. :)

Keep doing the mock drafts, do a couple for a few different positions in the draft order and come up with a Plan A, a Plan B, a Plan C, etc etc.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)
I'll be there at the beginning tomorrow, but may autodraft for the second hour. I have a feeling that it could run for more than 3 hours.

No problem, dude. :)

If I were you, I would try and pre-rank a big list of players so that if you have to leave the draft, the autodraft will pick players based on your pre-ranks.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 3, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)
I'll be there at the beginning tomorrow, but may autodraft for the second hour. I have a feeling that it could run for more than 3 hours.

I may do the same since I have to be up before the sun on Saturday and I won my most competitive league last year by phone-drafting the first 8 rounds, then auto-drafting the rest, but I have a feeling I'm going to want to be involved in the later rounds with this league being so deep.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 4, 2011 -> 01:18 AM)
The draft order will be completely random and it will be automatically generated by yahoo a couple minutes before the draft starts. I've always done it this way cause I always thought it was the most fair way for all involved. :)

Keep doing the mock drafts, do a couple for a few different positions in the draft order and come up with a Plan A, a Plan B, a Plan C, etc etc.

Fair enough, I have strategy set for all of my other leagues, but they're all either 10 or 12 teams.. this 20 team thing is throwing me off, it's like getting one pick every other round in a 10 team. I love it though.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
Glad everyone survived that draft.

And I feel weak at 3B, LF, RF, so feel free to offer some trades. I am willing to trade a RP or two if necessary, even though you need 6 of those guys lol.

I can't even begin to think of fair proposals to send out. I need upgrades just about every where outside of SS and probably RF with Heyward. But the rosters are so thin it's going to be impossible to make deals.

Edited by Jordan4life

Honestly, I may just leave the RP spots open - for now.

It's not like I'm going to find a closer or starter with RP eligibility before May. Any other RP I throw in there is just going to f*** up my ERA and WHIP, and anything positive is going to be negligable.

As long as I keep minimum innings with my SPs, I can hopefully compete in at least 3 of 5 categories.

I think I'll just run hitting out there and keep my eyes peeled on the waiver wire.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 04:56 PM)
I actually feel pretty good about my team.. except I'm not really sure why I drafted Boone Logan (beer), and I don't have a dependable power guy. I've got speed for days though, anyone looking for some SBs, I've got em!

Hey, saw your pic on strictlyfitteds.com. Very nice.

But anywho, yeah. I think I had a good draft. I guess we'll see once the season starts.

So I forgot to set my Rankings and just saw my team...

C John Jaso (TB - C)

1B Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B)

2B Freddy Sánchez (SF - 2B)

3B Pablo Sandoval (SF - 1B,3B)

SS Jimmy Rollins (Phi - SS)

LF Ángel Pagán (NYM - LF,CF,RF)

CF --empty--

RF Justin Upton (Ari - RF)

Util Ian Desmond (Was - SS)

SP Ted Lilly (LAD - SP)

SP Brian Matusz (Bal - SP)

SP Bronson Arroyo (Cin - SP)

SP Brian Duensing (Min - SP,RP)

SP Jeremy Guthrie (Bal - SP)

RP Brian Wilson (SF - RP)

RP Joakim Soria (KC - RP)

RP Evan Meek (Pit - RP)

RP Tyler Clippard (Was - RP)

RP Takashi Saito (Mil - RP)

RP Peter Moylan (Atl - RP)

BN Logan Morrison (Fla - LF)

BN Lance Berkman (StL - 1B)

BN Orlando Cabrera (Cle - SS)

BN José López (Col - 3B)

BN Logan Ondrusek (Cin - RP)

BN Bruce Chen (KC - SP,RP)

That is a good lineup and bullpen.

A bit weak of a bench and rotation, but I can see the rotation pulling through.

Added Jon Jay for CF. Hope he can be a good pickup.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Mar 5, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
Hey, saw your pic on strictlyfitteds.com. Very nice.

But anywho, yeah. I think I had a good draft. I guess we'll see once the season starts.

I'm pretty sure strictlyfitteds posts anything that's sent to them, but it's cool to get a rise out of people because I bent all the brims.

I feel like my draft was great, but I wouldn't doubt that in 2 months, I'm winless and considering scrap-heaping an entire team... and I suddenly really hope Matt Thornton is the closer of the Sox this year.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Mar 6, 2011 -> 12:55 AM)
So I forgot to set my Rankings and just saw my team...

C John Jaso (TB - C)

1B Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B)

2B Freddy Sánchez (SF - 2B)

3B Pablo Sandoval (SF - 1B,3B)

SS Jimmy Rollins (Phi - SS)

LF Ángel Pagán (NYM - LF,CF,RF)

CF --empty--

RF Justin Upton (Ari - RF)

Util Ian Desmond (Was - SS)

SP Ted Lilly (LAD - SP)

SP Brian Matusz (Bal - SP)

SP Bronson Arroyo (Cin - SP)

SP Brian Duensing (Min - SP,RP)

SP Jeremy Guthrie (Bal - SP)

RP Brian Wilson (SF - RP)

RP Joakim Soria (KC - RP)

RP Evan Meek (Pit - RP)

RP Tyler Clippard (Was - RP)

RP Takashi Saito (Mil - RP)

RP Peter Moylan (Atl - RP)

BN Logan Morrison (Fla - LF)

BN Lance Berkman (StL - 1B)

BN Orlando Cabrera (Cle - SS)

BN José López (Col - 3B)

BN Logan Ondrusek (Cin - RP)

BN Bruce Chen (KC - SP,RP)

That is a good lineup and bullpen.

A bit weak of a bench and rotation, but I can see the rotation pulling through.

Added Jon Jay for CF. Hope he can be a good pickup.

You certainly have strength in relief pitching, Wilson and Soria should carry you to winning most weeks in saves.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 10, 2011 -> 06:20 PM)
Whoever "Russell" that owns team "WINNING" is, I sent you a trade offer.

That'd be me, Im intrigued by the offer but I just don't like Jennings this year at all.

I sent a proposal to you.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)
This league is literally going to make me insane. I go to check on the availability of the 1% owned in standard Yahoo! leagues, Andrew Cashner, and he's taken. And it's not like he was just scooped up in the last couple days. He was drafted!

Hahaha, yea, that's how 20-team leagues are. :) You need to be quick to grab little-known guys and have knowledge of a lot of guys that are platoon-like players in the majors to fill out your roster.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 11:24 PM)
Hahaha, yea, that's how 20-team leagues are. :) You need to be quick to grab little-known guys and have knowledge of a lot of guys that are platoon-like players in the majors to fill out your roster.

I can see that. But I really am looking forward to this league in particular. This will definitely be the most challenging. I'm going to have to be lightening-quick whenever a roster spot opens up for a player. I need to monitor the backups to the backups to the backups in this league.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 10:07 PM)
This league is literally going to make me insane. I go to check on the availability of the 1% owned in standard Yahoo! leagues, Andrew Cashner, and he's taken. And it's not like he was just scooped up in the last couple days. He was drafted!

I've probably done this about a or dozen times so.. my mental reaction is the same each time "REALLY!? SOMEONE DRAFTED HIM!?"

My other league is an 8 team standard league and I look at my team in that league compared to this league and it's like looking at the Yankees and the Pirates, but I feel like I've got a chance in both leagues. This league will certainly be a great time.

Edited by ChrisLikesBaseball

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 11:07 PM)

Hehehehehe

Honestly I was just looking for sleepers at the end of the draft, I could care less about picking up some scrub back up player, I wanted to find some young guys that I knew had a good shot at getting solid playing time, Cashner was one that stood out to me.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 07:50 AM)
Hehehehehe

Honestly I was just looking for sleepers at the end of the draft, I could care less about picking up some scrub back up player, I wanted to find some young guys that I knew had a good shot at getting solid playing time, Cashner was one that stood out to me.

That was you? Dickhead. lol. I'm not really mad. I've just got to get used to having guys that are readily available in most leagues yet scooped up by every team in this Oprah of a league.