Comcast Sports Net out of town?

ChiliIrishHammock24

Ok, so I signed for my lease to live in an apartment today. I was told that we are able to upgrade our basic cable package to buy sports packages or whatever. I was wondering, is it possible to buy a package that includes CSN Chicago? Being that me and the girls I am living w/ are all Sox and Hawks fans, we want to be able to watch our teams here at school. Wondering what sort of package I would have to buy to make this possible.

I am pretty sure that MLB.TV is not an option since despite being over 200 miles from Chicago, we are still in the blackout range.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 12:46 AM)
Kind of a crazy idea, but have you considered contacting your cable provider?

No, because I don't even live there yet. I signed for the lease for the place for this August, but I am just wondering now, even though I still got 6 months or so to actually buy any sort of package.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 06:16 AM)
No, because I don't even live there yet. I signed for the lease for the place for this August, but I am just wondering now, even though I still got 6 months or so to actually buy any sort of package.

This is a question I pondered also. I have cable and we receive MLB network and WGN, but going to Dish network means no MLB network (it is on DirectTV) but they have a sports package with CSN-Chicago. Question I had at the time was do they block out games?

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 12:16 AM)

Absolutely you can get the channel. Directv, dish, cable etc all will have csn chicago available. You might not even have to pay extra. But yeah just call whoever you plan on using and ask them.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 09:12 AM)
This is a question I pondered also. I have cable and we receive MLB network and WGN, but going to Dish network means no MLB network (it is on DirectTV) but they have a sports package with CSN-Chicago. Question I had at the time was do they block out games?

Yes, if you have CSN Chicago but you aren't in the Chicago blackout area, all games are blacked out. In other words, CSN Chicago in Montana doesn't show any games.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 10:17 AM)
Absolutely you can get the channel. Directv, dish, cable etc all will have csn chicago available. You might not even have to pay extra. But yeah just call whoever you plan on using and ask them.

We have Comcast, and when I go on their site and use their "Channel Finder" feature, nothing comes up for the Muncie zip code. Makes me think that I can't get it at all.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 10, 2011 -> 11:19 PM)
Ok, so I signed for my lease to live in an apartment today. I was told that we are able to upgrade our basic cable package to buy sports packages or whatever. I was wondering, is it possible to buy a package that includes CSN Chicago? Being that me and the girls I am living w/ are all Sox and Hawks fans, we want to be able to watch our teams here at school. Wondering what sort of package I would have to buy to make this possible.

I am pretty sure that MLB.TV is not an option since despite being over 200 miles from Chicago, we are still in the blackout range.

I live in West Lafayette and I get CSN Chicago. You might get it!

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Feb 11, 2011 -> 01:01 PM)
I live in Chicago and have Comcast. I get like 5 different CSN channels, like Bay Area and a few others with the sports package ($7 per month)

Trust me, Comcast carries Comcast Sports Net.

While the last part may be true for the SD channel, but Comcast in Indiana does NOT carry CSN HD (at least, in the greater Indy area).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 01:58 PM)
They do carry HD in NW IN. I have it in Michigan City.

Yeah, I live in NW IN too, and yea, we have it, but not here in Muncie at least. We are in the grey area of too far away to not get CSN, but not far away enough to not be blacked out. I mean, I can't even order mlb.tv and see sox games.

Hey look, more evidence as to why MLB territory restrictions are awful.

When I lived in Normal, IL I didn't get WCIU, buuuut since I am in the TV market I don't get access to watch the team on MLB.TV. It's really sad that a fan of a certain team has to jump through hoops to consume a product.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
Hey look, more evidence as to why MLB territory restrictions are awful.

When I lived in Normal, IL I didn't get WCIU, buuuut since I am in the TV market I don't get access to watch the team on MLB.TV. It's really sad that a fan of a certain team has to jump through hoops to consume a product.

Here in Muncie, we are blacked out for Cubs, Sox, Tigers, Reds, Indians, and Cardinals. lol. The only team we get locally is the Reds. It's literally impossible for me to watch Sox games legally, so obviously I have to use illegal tactics, and if I ever get caught for it, I am going to raise some hell.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 08:38 PM)
Here in Muncie, we are blacked out for Cubs, Sox, Tigers, Reds, Indians, and Cardinals. lol. The only team we get locally is the Reds. It's literally impossible for me to watch Sox games legally, so obviously I have to use illegal tactics, and if I ever get caught for it, I am going to raise some hell.

I didn't know where Muncie was in Indiana...I had to google it. I was surprised how far west and south is was and still blacked out. Again, the fan gets screwed simply because they live in the gray area and can't watch their favorite team whether it's TV or Internet.