Adam Dunn

oldsox

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 03:23 PM)
Non-sox fan troll post?

Jenksy, I assure you I am not a non Sox fan troll. I just don't like the acquisition of Dunn. Never did. If he hits the cover off the ball in ST, I don't say anything, I just pull for him to keep doing it in April. I've seem him play several games in NL in last two years, and frankly, he looked like a slow left tackle. He did not fit into Washington's plans, so he goes the FA route and Kenny picks him up for an outrageous salary and loss of # 1 pick. Was anyone else going to give him $45mm? I'd rather see Kenny spend the money on the Cuban defector and keep the draft pick. Dunn is old and slow and is going to get older and slower. He'll probably lead the league is K's and double plays, if he stays in the lineup. Of course, 40 home runs covers a multitude of sins. We'll see.

Jenksy, I assure you I am not a non Sox fan troll. I just don't like the acquisition of Dunn. Never did. If he hits the cover off the ball in ST, I don't say anything, I just pull for him to keep doing it in April. I've seem him play several games in NL in last two years, and frankly, he looked like a slow left tackle. He did not fit into Washington's plans, so he goes the FA route and Kenny picks him up for an outrageous salary and loss of # 1 pick. Was anyone else going to give him $45mm? I'd rather see Kenny spend the money on the Cuban defector and keep the draft pick. Dunn is old and slow and is going to get older and slower. He'll probably lead the league is K's and double plays, if he stays in the lineup. Of course, 40 home runs covers a multitude of sins. We'll see.

I'll just pick one of the half dozen or so things you got wrong in this post and debunk it because I feel like looking at some numbers.

It's next to impossible for Dunn to show up anywhere on the leader board for double plays. 1.) he's typically near the bottom of the league in GB% (over the last 3 years: 33.3%, 136th out of 138 qualified players), 2.) most teams are going to employ the Williams shift against him, putting the 2B in a terrible position to turn a DP and 3.) he's not that slow. By the end of the season he'll likely be in the bottom third of the league in total DPs (101st out of 138 qualified players over the past 3 years, bottom 27 percentile), this really should be the least of everyone's worries concerning Dunn.

You seem fairly misinformed.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 11:45 PM)

Yeah, we're really gonna be f***ed when Dunn doesn't steal 40 bases like he usually does. Kenny def shoulda got a cuban who is 3 years away from the majors, a draft pick, and just re-upped with Kotsay for another DH run since he's got some solid wheels still.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
I'll just pick one of the half dozen or so things you got wrong in this post and debunk it because I feel like looking at some numbers.

It's next to impossible for Dunn to show up anywhere on the leader board for double plays. 1.) he's typically near the bottom of the league in GB% (over the last 3 years: 33.3%, 136th out of 138 qualified players), 2.) most teams are going to employ the Williams shift against him, putting the 2B in a terrible position to turn a DP and 3.) he's not that slow. By the end of the season he'll likely be in the bottom third of the league in total DPs (101st out of 138 qualified players over the past 3 years, bottom 27 percentile), this really should be the least of everyone's worries concerning Dunn.

You seem fairly misinformed.

Boom. Kalapse'd

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 10:30 AM)

There's more, of course.

Sox are giving Dunn $56M, and KW got a bargain relative to the Werth signing that escalated the market three days later.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
There's more, of course.

Sox are giving Dunn $56M, and KW got a bargain relative to the Werth signing that escalated the market three days later.

I never saw a reported number, but I'm sure the O's had to be around what the Sox game him, they were trying to get a name this offseason. Beyond that, I have no doubt Dunn would have gotten that deal if he went to another team, he's 31, one of the premier power hitters in the game and on top of that his consistency from year to year is mind boggling.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
I have a hard time believing any contract worth $14 million a year can be the steal of the century.

Hyperbole aside, it was a steal considering Weth signed for a billion dollars a couple days later.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
My glass is half empty on Dunn. He strikes out about 40% of the time and is barely hitting .200. At least he doesn't clog up the bases. We gave up a lot of money and a #1 draft pick this year. This will go down as one of Kenny's worst moves, I believe.

Yeah, let's trade him ASAP. Maybe we can get a bag of balls for him.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 01:18 PM)
My glass is half empty on Dunn. He strikes out about 40% of the time and is barely hitting .200. At least he doesn't clog up the bases. We gave up a lot of money and a #1 draft pick this year. This will go down as one of Kenny's worst moves, I believe.

If this post is what you write when your "glass is half-empty" on someone, Heaven help the poor soul who empties your glass altogether.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
Hyperbole aside, it was a steal considering Weth signed for a billion dollars a couple days later.

Compared to the Werth deal & other deals, than yeah it is quite the steal. If Dunn does produce like he has every year, then I think $14 mil a year is about what he should be paid and is worth. Now the Thome deal with the Twins last year, that was the steal of the century.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 23, 2011 -> 11:45 PM)
I'd rather see Kenny spend the money on the Cuban defector and keep the draft pick.

Question: Who is the best player to come out of Cuba? Is it Orlando Hernandez? Jose Contreras? Possibly Champman already?

My point is, I'll give the 45 million to a proven hitter to help an offense that was pretty bad last year. The Cuban thing is always nice to dream on, but seriously there has not been that much good to come over from there.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
Question: Who is the best player to come out of Cuba? Is it Orlando Hernandez? Jose Contreras? Possibly Champman already?

My point is, I'll give the 45 million to a proven hitter to help an offense that was pretty bad last year. The Cuban thing is always nice to dream on, but seriously there has not been that much good to come over from there.

I get your point. Just wanted to say Hernandez easily. And not because of one inning in '05.

Apparently you don't know much about Dunn at all.

As a Reds fan, he will drive you nuts at times with his K's. I fully expect several threads on how much of a mistake he is. Overall though, his production is great. It stinks that he K's that much, but his overall numbers more than make up for it. Teams fear him and when they don't, they usually get burned. For the price the Sox signed him to, that makes it a wonderful signing.

The good thing is, he won't ground into many double plays ;)