I have draft regret

• 2 months later...

So my team has sucked this year... I'm pretty much holding try outs now. I figure I have no chance at being in the money, so I am slowly replacing guys with prospects to give me the chance to see who to keep for next year.

The big one I am trying to decide whether to pop on or not is Buster Posey. I have Matt Wieters and Carlos Santana on the roster now, but I am thinking about picking up Buster and stashing him on the DL eventually. Do people think he will be a top 5 round pick next year coming back from that injury?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
So my team has sucked this year... I'm pretty much holding try outs now. I figure I have no chance at being in the money, so I am slowly replacing guys with prospects to give me the chance to see who to keep for next year.

The big one I am trying to decide whether to pop on or not is Buster Posey. I have Matt Wieters and Carlos Santana on the roster now, but I am thinking about picking up Buster and stashing him on the DL eventually. Do people think he will be a top 5 round pick next year coming back from that injury?

How many keepers do you get? I'm assuming one catcher? Honestly, I'd wait until towards the end of the year. Santana has been a disappointment so far. But his BB rate is easily the best among catchers. His .363 OBP is well above average for a catcher as well (I believe only McCann's is better). His BABIP is only .251. Well below league average. So he's been very unlucky. In other words, he's going to hit. Wieters has been showing signs. Thing with him is his defense is so good that you know he's going to play everyday, independent of his offense. But the offensive upside is still tremendous. Who the hell knows what Posey will be like when the season rolls around next year. Wait and see how the first two finish the season. If somebody scoops Posey up before then, so be it. You'll still have two young stud catchers to choose from.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 13, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
How many keepers do you get? I'm assuming one catcher? Honestly, I'd wait until towards the end of the year. Santana has been a disappointment so far. But his BB rate is easily the best among catchers. His .363 OBP is well above average for a catcher as well (I believe only McCann's is better). His BABIP is only .251. Well below league average. So he's been very unlucky. In other words, he's going to hit. Wieters has been showing signs. Thing with him is his defense is so good that you know he's going to play everyday, independent of his offense. But the offensive upside is still tremendous. Who the hell knows what Posey will be like when the season rolls around next year. Wait and see how the first two finish the season. If somebody scoops Posey up before then, so be it. You'll still have two young stud catchers to choose from.

5 keepers, and you have to keep at least one position player and pitcher. My other for sure keepers so far are Hanley, CarGo, and Kershaw. I've been stocking up on the top kids, so far I have Trout and Smoak too. Thinking about going after Moustakis. Dan Uggla might be a keeper, but he has to return to form in the second half.