6 man rotation???

soxfan420

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:17 AM)
Let's look at this. The 1950's gave us 1959 only. The 60's ... good teams through 67 but nada as far as postseason. The 70's ... gag. The highlight of the 70's was 77 and the defense on that team was garbage. The 80's ... 1983. That's all. The 90's ... nothing. 2000's ... 3 division winners and one WS championship. It sucks to be a Sox fan now.

We were garbage before, yea that sucks. But that doesn't excuse the Sox from winning in the future.

As a fan, Im going to relish anything we win, but Im not going to excuse the Sox from winning just because of a bad history that unfortunately you had to go through.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:18 AM)
We were garbage before, yea that sucks. But that doesn't excuse the Sox from winning in the future.

As a fan, Im going to relish anything we win, but Im not going to excuse the Sox from winning just because of a bad history that unfortunately you had to go through.

That's my perspective though. I appreciate this period of Sox history because of all the lean years.

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:20 AM)
That's my perspective though. I appreciate this period of Sox history because of all the lean years.

Fine, but I just don't think it's right to make comments like you did pretty much insulting fans who want to win more often (which is such a horrible thing to want :P ).

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:22 AM)
Fine, but I just don't think it's right to make comments like you did pretty much insulting fans who want to win more often (which is such a horrible thing to want :P ).

I didn't insult anybody. I just stated a fact.

ETA: Yes, I used a bit of sarcasm. That never happens on this board. What was I thinking?

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 15, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
They raped us so bad that the following off-season they tried to trade him and couldn't find a taker. But you clearly admit Swisher had a bad year with us, and yet you expect KW to get something of value in return? Swisher is a pain in the ass to have as a teammate. The dude never shuts up.

I also find it funny that the "proven player" only seems ok when it's used against KW or Ozzie. It wasn't acceptable when I argued this team would hit when they were slumping because practically the whole team is a group of proven players, but it works for Swisher? Who really hasn't been much better since leaving here.

I'm not saying that was a good trade overall, but the only player who I really miss in that deal will end up being Carter. I could make half my starts in Oakland and put up the numbers Gio is. You can have that Ryan Sweeney garbage too.

Two 850+ OPS years say otherwise about Swisher. He's a solid player. Not an All-Star or superstar, clearly, but he's never going to hurt the Yankees.

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
Which is what I stated earlier ... it's my perspective.

So, because the Sox are merely mediocre instead of horrible like they had been in the past, the entire organization should just get a lifetime pass?

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)
So, because the Sox are merely mediocre instead of horrible like they had been in the past, the entire organization should just get a lifetime pass?

2005 excuses a lot for the "old timers" crowd.

For those fans in their 20's, it's more "what have you done for me lately?" and that's not looking so good for KW and Ozzie.

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:34 AM)

I just rolled my eyes at this. NO ... that's not what I am saying at all. I simply said that we have been more successful since 2000 than we ever have in my lifetime. That is an inarguable fact. Period.

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:37 AM)
I just rolled my eyes at this. NO ... that's not what I am saying at all. I simply said that we have been more successful since 2000 than we ever have in my lifetime. That is an inarguable fact. Period.

Ok. The only reason I asked is that your first post was in reply to a post that implied that KW, Ozzie, etc. should be fired because of their performance the last 10 years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:37 AM)
2005 excuses a lot for the "old timers" crowd.

For those fans in their 20's, it's more "what have you done for me lately?" and that's not looking so good for KW and Ozzie.

Forget what have you done for me lately, its more like what have you done in your last at bat.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:43 AM)
Forget what have you done for me lately, its more like what have you done in your last at bat.

Forget this general idea, add more details like what have you done for me lately considering your top 5 in payroll.

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
Ok. The only reason I asked is that your first post was in reply to a post that implied that KW, Ozzie, etc. should be fired because of their performance the last 10 years.

Yes it was, and my point is that has been the best 10 years of Sox baseball in my lifetime.

Imagine you're a Twins' fan.

They want Gardenhire and Smith fired, two weeks ago.

The guy's won 6/9 AL Central Division championships...almost 7/9.

And yet the fanbase believes he's incapable of taking his team "to the next level," etc. The entire next 5-10 years of their franchise has been put in the hands of Mauer's health. Yet, had he left as a FA for the Yankees, the fans might never have forgiven ownership. Impossible situation for both sides to walk away from, as a hometown product. Not unlike LeBron departing for South Beach.

I wonder if the situations were reversed, and we hadn't won the World Series but had all those division championships, if the patience would be less, more or the same?

As bad as some of our contract situations look, the ones with Mauer/Morneau/Nathan/Cuddyer/Pavano/Liriano are arguably more vexing. The only Twins' player that a team would consider trading for is probably Kubel, and he's a FA after this year, so his value is limited.

And Delmon Young pulled a play that would have made Milton Bradley proud yesterday....not hustling after a ball, then pointing for Span to get it when he had to run halfway across the outfield and Young was barely making an effort at all.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:17 AM)
Let's look at this. The 1950's gave us 1959 only. The 60's ... good teams through 67 but nada as far as postseason. The 70's ... gag. The highlight of the 70's was 77 and the defense on that team was garbage. The 80's ... 1983. That's all. The 90's ... nothing. 2000's ... 3 division winners and one WS championship. It sucks to be a Sox fan now.

Who gives a s*** about the past? That's for cowards and losers. With the talent and money we spent in the KW era we have undeniably underachieved.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)
Who gives a s*** about the past? That's for cowards and losers. With the talent and money we spent in the KW era we have undeniably underachieved.

Evidently you are a coward and a loser for caring about the past.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2011 -> 04:51 AM)
6 man rotation already coming under fire from former big league pitcher Mike Marshall...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,6546565.column

He's the guy that preaches that ridiculous pitching style, no? He says that the normal pitching style will cause injuries no matter how often you pitch but logically you have to assume the odds increase the more you pitch.

Now, that's not to say I totally disagree with him. I think pitchers should have good mechanics and they should throw more, but I actually love the idea of a 6 man rotation. I think pitchers should just throw more on the off days where they can manage the pitching (i.e. easier on the arm, less curveballs, etc) but build strength and durability. Then manage the training to ensure peak performances for game days, similar to how runners set up their training runs to ensure peak performance for their races.

QUOTE (SoxnGiants @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:33 AM)
He's the guy that preaches that ridiculous pitching style, no? He says that the normal pitching style will cause injuries no matter how often you pitch but logically you have to assume the odds increase the more you pitch.

Now, that's not to say I totally disagree with him. I think pitchers should have good mechanics and they should throw more, but I actually love the idea of a 6 man rotation. I think pitchers should just throw more on the off days where they can manage the pitching (i.e. easier on the arm, less curveballs, etc) but build strength and durability. Then manage the training to ensure peak performances for game days, similar to how runners set up their training runs to ensure peak performance for their races.

I remember Jon Garland didn't pitch for 9 days going into Game 3 of the ALCS in 2005 and he pitched great and had more life on his fastball than ever, so I take Marshall's comments with a grain of salt.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2011 -> 06:13 PM)
So then you don't want Pierre released based on what he has done so far this year?

That plays into it, obviously. We need to make the correct personnel moves in order to win as a team. We're not too good with those, though. We usually seem to hold onto crappier players for whatever reason to the detriment of the team as a whole. The end result is that the team usually falters.

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:04 AM)
You mean the 10 year period that has been the most sucessful decade in Sox history since the late 50's through mid 60's? Yeah, I hate that crap too.

I love the older group's mentality.

We're better than we were when we were a laughingstock. Hooray!

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 16, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
I love the older group's mentality.

We're better than we were when we were a laughingstock. Hooray!

We moved up to 4th place.

Life is good.