6 man rotation???

soxfan420

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
It has nothing to do with "bounce in their step." They're simply playing better baseball. And it's not surprising. This isn't a 65-70 win team. Consistency, save 2005, has always been the major issue during the Ozzie/KW era. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this team get back to .500 only to revert back to their earlier struggles.

That's actually what I expect. And you are right about the consistency part.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 14, 2011 -> 02:59 PM)
Really? You'd be surprised to not see a run like that? They played about 6 weeks of bad baseball before that. I dunno. I just don't get the optimism of some people.

If this team plays to their career norms, which is a lot more likely than them playing like they did the first six weeks, there is no reason to believe this team isn't better than every single team in this division.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2011 -> 02:06 PM)
It has nothing to do with "bounce in their step." They're simply playing better baseball. And it's not surprising. This isn't a 65-70 win team. Consistency, save 2005, has always been the major issue during the Ozzie/KW era. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this team get back to .500 only to revert back to their earlier struggles.

It has everything to do with the bounce in their step.

Do you not think baseball is a mental game? How the f*** else are you going to explain those first 30 games? They started pressing and doubting and now they got so bad they just don't give a s***, so they're playing freely and the talent is coming through.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 14, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
That's actually what I expect. And you are right about the consistency part.

All you do is cry about people getting on you because of your pessimistic attitude. So what are you doing now? Getting on others for their optimistic attitude.

I'm looking at the last 5 years of track records for a lot of these guys, and those numbers suggest a major correction is coming. I'm excited to watch it happen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
All you do is cry about people getting on you because of your pessimistic attitude. So what are you doing now? Getting on others for their optimistic attitude.

I'm looking at the last 5 years of track records for a lot of these guys, and those numbers suggest a major correction is coming. I'm excited to watch it happen.

And don't forget it is a history that is the nuevo reason people keep using for wanting to fire everyone...

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 14, 2011 -> 02:43 AM)
After the Swisher and Javy trades I have no trust KW will get anything decent in return for Danks, I'd rather opt for the draft picks after 2012

The irony in this post is laughable. Never mind the fact that KW once traded an "untouchable" prospect to get Danks, and that untouchable prospect turns to s*** while Danks turns out good. You have no faith in KW's ability to get talent for Danks when he originally brought Danks in? Seriously?

Also, why do people just assume the draft pick compensation is going to be around after the new CBO? All indications are that baseball wants those removed.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 14, 2011 -> 05:02 AM)
As of this moment, you don't trade him for a goddamn thing.

Oh, and not wanting to count on Peavy? How about not wanting to count on Phil Humber...you know, the dude who is 28 and has never had any sort of sustained success at the major league level? He's proven he can be adequate, but you are talking about replacing a guy who is almost an ace with a guy who is probably a 4.50 ERA type guy at his best. That is absolutely absurd.

As of right now, the Sox have, optimistically, anywhere from a 25-50% chance of winning the division. If they trade Danks, that drops to 5-10%.

This needs to be repeated. Since when did Peavy get the health of Buehrle and when did people think Humber magically got better at pitching? I'm excited that we're getting this out of Humber but c'mon. The bottom will fall out soon enough.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2011 -> 07:51 AM)
6 man rotation already coming under fire from former big league pitcher Mike Marshall...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,6546565.column

He is correct, it would not have worked for him. But every athlete is different. There were similar arguments when 5 man rotations started becoming popular. We probably should expect that a 6 man will help a few, hurt someone, and make no difference to one or two.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2011 -> 07:51 AM)
6 man rotation already coming under fire from former big league pitcher Mike Marshall...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,6546565.column

He is correct, it would not have worked for him. But every athlete is different. There were similar arguments when 5 man rotations started becoming popular. We probably should expect that a 6 man will help a few, hurt someone, and make no difference to one or two.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 14, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
The irony in this post is laughable. Never mind the fact that KW once traded an "untouchable" prospect to get Danks, and that untouchable prospect turns to s*** while Danks turns out good. You have no faith in KW's ability to get talent for Danks when he originally brought Danks in? Seriously?

Also, why do people just assume the draft pick compensation is going to be around after the new CBO? All indications are that baseball wants those removed.

It's more of a recency thing. I used to trust in KW, but I can no longer after the Swisher trade, where we got nothing back in return for a guy who had one bad year in our uniform but still IMO was a proven player (and now has gone on to prove that clearly). That trade was absolutely awful, the Yanks raped us on that trade and I felt that way immediately after hearing about it and history has proved me right. It seemed that KW was willing to do anything just to get him out of town, including getting fleeced. I don't care how much you hate a guy don't give him away for nothing if he has value. To me that is completely unacceptable, and it hurt this franchise big time especially when you consider what we gave up for Swish to begin with.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 14, 2011 -> 05:48 AM)
You mean Humber's .213 BABIP is unsustainable? You've got a lot of nerve! His current rate stats are totally flukish and his below average 5.18 K/9 doesn't do anything to mask that. Smoke and mirrors for the most part. As the weather heats up and he starts seeing better offenses, reality will set in. Not that he possibly couldn't be serviceable all year. But trading guys because we have Humber? lol.

I'm giving Humber the benefit of the doubt . What point is there in predicting failure especially based on K/9 ? Yes I know when you look at Hall of Fame and very good pitchers in general that they have excellent stuff so they avg close to a K per inning. That doesn't mean you can't have success pitching to contact. There are so many pitchers who grew up with such good stuff overpowering hitters all their life but struggled against majorleaguers . When the lightbulb goes on and they finally figure out that location and keeping hitters off balance mean just as much if not more than great stuff then they become pitchers.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 14, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)

I'm not getting on anybody. That's what she said.

But seriously, I'm looking at the last 10 years of this team's track record.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)
And don't forget it is a history that is the nuevo reason people keep using for wanting to fire everyone...

Yeah, I'm not sure what you're even arguing here. The team historically underachieves, especially in the Ozzie/KW era. This happens despite the good talent that is brought in. We all know that this wouldn't be the first time the Sox, as the most talented team in the division, don't win the title.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 15, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
Yeah, I'm not sure what you're even arguing here. The team historically underachieves, especially in the Ozzie/KW era. This happens despite the good talent that is brought in. We all know that this wouldn't be the first time the Sox, as the most talented team in the division, don't win the title.

I'm arguing that the new "history" argument is garbage. There are plenty of players on this very team that have a history of performance too, but no one seems to care about that.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 15, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
It's more of a recency thing. I used to trust in KW, but I can no longer after the Swisher trade, where we got nothing back in return for a guy who had one bad year in our uniform but still IMO was a proven player (and now has gone on to prove that clearly). That trade was absolutely awful, the Yanks raped us on that trade and I felt that way immediately after hearing about it and history has proved me right. It seemed that KW was willing to do anything just to get him out of town, including getting fleeced. I don't care how much you hate a guy don't give him away for nothing if he has value. To me that is completely unacceptable, and it hurt this franchise big time especially when you consider what we gave up for Swish to begin with.

They raped us so bad that the following off-season they tried to trade him and couldn't find a taker. But you clearly admit Swisher had a bad year with us, and yet you expect KW to get something of value in return? Swisher is a pain in the ass to have as a teammate. The dude never shuts up.

I also find it funny that the "proven player" only seems ok when it's used against KW or Ozzie. It wasn't acceptable when I argued this team would hit when they were slumping because practically the whole team is a group of proven players, but it works for Swisher? Who really hasn't been much better since leaving here.

I'm not saying that was a good trade overall, but the only player who I really miss in that deal will end up being Carter. I could make half my starts in Oakland and put up the numbers Gio is. You can have that Ryan Sweeney garbage too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 15, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
I'm arguing that the new "history" argument is garbage. There are plenty of players on this very team that have a history of performance too, but no one seems to care about that.

You're arguing personal statistics. I'm saying the individual stats don't matter because the end result is almost always the same for the team as a whole.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 15, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
They raped us so bad that the following off-season they tried to trade him and couldn't find a taker. But you clearly admit Swisher had a bad year with us, and yet you expect KW to get something of value in return? Swisher is a pain in the ass to have as a teammate. The dude never shuts up.

I also find it funny that the "proven player" only seems ok when it's used against KW or Ozzie. It wasn't acceptable when I argued this team would hit when they were slumping because practically the whole team is a group of proven players, but it works for Swisher? Who really hasn't been much better since leaving here.

I'm not saying that was a good trade overall, but the only player who I really miss in that deal will end up being Carter. I could make half my starts in Oakland and put up the numbers Gio is. You can have that Ryan Sweeney garbage too.

LOL

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ May 15, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)

Well at least we got Dan Haren in the deal too.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 15, 2011 -> 05:11 PM)
You're arguing personal statistics. I'm saying the individual stats don't matter because the end result is almost always the same for the team as a whole.

So then you don't want Pierre released based on what he has done so far this year?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 15, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
I'm not getting on anybody. That's what she said.

But seriously, I'm looking at the last 10 years of this team's track record.

You mean the 10 year period that has been the most sucessful decade in Sox history since the late 50's through mid 60's? Yeah, I hate that crap too.

QUOTE (YASNY @ May 16, 2011 -> 08:04 AM)
You mean the 10 year period that has been the most sucessful decade in Sox history since the late 50's through mid 60's? Yeah, I hate that crap too.

A team with the market, resources, payroll, etc. that the Sox have compared to the rest of the teams in the Central, yea it pretty much is crap compared to where they should be.

Fact is, they have been underperforming with the amount of resources they have available and what they have used.

Let's look at this. The 1950's gave us 1959 only. The 60's ... good teams through 67 but nada as far as postseason. The 70's ... gag. The highlight of the 70's was 77 and the defense on that team was garbage. The 80's ... 1983. That's all. The 90's ... nothing. 2000's ... 3 division winners and one WS championship. It sucks to be a Sox fan now.