Chicago White Sox at Oakland A's

justBLAZE

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 15, 2011 -> 06:18 PM)
Is it any wonder Thornton has started to become the usual Matt Thornton since he was put back in his 7th/8th inning role??

I certanly haven't gotten that impression, he's been just as wild/struggled to get people out as he was in the 9th. He just has had fewer Juan Pierre drops.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 15, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)
Is it any wonder Thornton has started to become the usual Matt Thornton since he was put back in his 7th/8th inning role??

JUAN CAUGHT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Juan makes EVERYTHING look like a tough play these days.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2011 -> 05:19 PM)
I certanly haven't gotten that impression, he's been just as wild/struggled to get people out as he was in the 9th. He just has had fewer Juan Pierre drops.

Yeah I would like to retract that statement. I looked at his stats and he really hasn't been much better.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 15, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)

JUAN CAUGHT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was about time Ozzie realized this and put him back into a role where he could contribute. I wish I could say the same about Juan Pierre, where his best suited role is being designated for assignment.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ May 15, 2011 -> 06:23 PM)
It was about time Ozzie realized this and put him back into a role where he could contribute. I wish I could say the same about Juan Pierre, where his best suited role is being designated for assignment.

I don't know what you guys are seeing. If Pierre had dropped that ball, we'd all be saying "Here things go again for Matt" and they'd look just like they did when MT was pitching the 9th inning.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 15, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
I don't know what you guys are seeing. If Pierre had dropped that ball, we'd all be saying "Here things go again for Matt" and they'd look just like they did when MT was pitching the 9th inning.

The difference was in a lot of those blown saves is the ball was getting hit HARD against him and he was 2-0 or 2-1 the whole time it seemed. Sure, JP screwed MT a few times but the old Thornton seems to be back for me in the setup role.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 15, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
Balta, you beginning to trust me about the Wuertz 3-2 slider out of the zone?

Greg Maddux has said that there were a lot of times when he'd get to 2-2 on a guy and he'd purposely throw a ball in the dirt or well out of the zone to get the count to 3-2, because it's much harder to lay off of a pitch that is close with a full count than any other time.