Jackson would accept move to pen

southsider2k5

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...llpen-duty.html

eam-first Edwin Jackson would accept bullpen duty

By DARYL VAN SCHOUWEN dvanschouwen@suntimes.com Jun 1, 2011 2:09AM

BOSTON ­­— If and when the Sox go back to a five-man rotation, somebody is not going to be pleased. Namely, the starter who gets shipped to the bullpen.

“I don’t know one starter who would say he’d be happy,’’ Sox right-hander Edwin Jackson said. “But it’s one of those things where you do what you have to do.’’

Based on performance, John Danks (0-8, 5.25 ERA) would be the one moved out of the rotation, although he has pitched well enough to win a handful of games and was a 15-game winner last season. But the Sox have three lefties in the pen. Jackson (4-5, 4.63) has experience pitching in relief.

“It’s a game of adjustments,’’ Jackson said, smiling. “I mean, what can you do if you have to go to the pen? There’s nobody who wants to go to the pen. I’ve done both. I’ve been in the pen. I like starting and see myself as a starter, but a lot of starters have had both roles.

“At the end of the day, it wouldn’t necessarily be about me. It would be about the team. I would like to stay starting­ ­— I’m comfortable starting — but if I have to go to the pen, I’d just go down and deal with it.’’

In flux

Mark Buehrle will start Friday, when the Sox open a homestand against Detroit, but the starters for Saturday and Sunday haven’t been announced with the rotation decisions to be made. Jackson and Danks are scheduled to pitch, but manager Ozzie Guillen gave no hints.

“Not yet, we’re going to wait and see how we’re going to handle it,’’ Guillen said. “After the day off, we’re going to figure out who’s going to be back and forth. I have it there in the back of my mind. I don’t know.’’

A roster move will be made before the Sox, who are carrying 13 pitchers, open the homestand. Mark Teahen will return from a rehab assignment soon.

Right spot

Jesse Crain, who left Monday’s game after getting struck by a batted ball, had a softball-sized mark above his right hip but was OK, he said.

“Hit me in the right spot,’’ Crain said.

Guillen kept him out of Tuesday’s game because of his busy recent workload.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
Props to Edwin Jackson for stepping up and for being willing to do what's best for the team. I'd like to see the Sox re sign this guy and keep him around.

Somewhere, Scott Boras is sitting in an office and he just had an uncontrollable urge to burst into laughter. And he's not sure why.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
I'd want to keep him as a starter, but I think he could be LIGHTS OUT in the bullpen with the stuff he has.

I know it was a few years ago, but he sure wasn't when he tried it in Tampa. Control killed him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
Somewhere, Scott Boras is sitting in an office and he just had an uncontrollable urge to burst into laughter. And he's not sure why.

Maybe with such an up and down year he won't command that much on the FA market. Same with Danks.

I know it's Boras, but it could happen - especially if Jackson is tired of moving and is happy with the White Sox.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
Props to Edwin Jackson for stepping up and for being willing to do what's best for the team. I'd like to see the Sox re sign this guy and keep him around.

The Sox are not resigning Jackson. Coop is not a fan and neither are most of the players.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:35 AM)
If that's the case, then why did they gave up a top prospect thinking Coop could make him better?

IF IT IS TRUE, he has been here for a year now pretty much. It took Swisher much less time than that to change minds about him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:37 AM)
IF IT IS TRUE, he has been here for a year now pretty much. It took Swisher much less time than that to change minds about him.

That's true, if he's not making it up, it is possible the "hatred" just started recently.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
Where are you getting that from?

I once thought Contreras while witht the sox would be good in the pen. Now he is doing it . I can't verfy any of this but just watching him on the mound, Jackson seems to lose concentration after a few innings. He might be alright if he went out for shorter periods, relief. He may be able to throw harder or use his off speed stuff if he has to do it for a shorter time. I think this would be a good move.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
I still think the guy who is 0-8 with an ERA over 5, and who the team is 1-10 in games he starts overall, should move to the bullpen. But, I like Jackson's team first attitude.

I couldn't agree more.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:42 AM)
I once thought Contreras while witht the sox would be good in the pen. Now he is doing it . I can't verfy any of this but just watching him on the mound, Jackson seems to lose concentration after a few innings. He might be alright if he went out for shorter periods, relief. He may be able to throw harder or use his off speed stuff if he has to do it for a shorter time. I think this would be a good move.

The problem is control is already a problem for him when things aren't right. Throwing harder isn't going to help that. His career high in BB/9 was from the year he worked out of the pen mainly while in Tampa. Could that change this time around, sure, but that is a tough less to have to learn.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
First time I've heard this. Do you have more insight?

Stone has more than eluded to this several times.

Walking off the mound, Jackson has twice this season showed up his teammates by glaring out to them after an error or misplay and throwing his glove into the dugout when he's been removed. Guys don't take that sh*t well that they haven't in the clubhouse. Coop has just flat out stopped trying to help the guy a couple games and just left him out there to burn when he typically visits.

The problem is control is already a problem for him when things aren't right. Throwing harder isn't going to help that. His career high in BB/9 was from the year he worked out of the pen mainly while in Tampa. Could that change this time around, sure, but that is a tough less to have to learn.

Remember Contreras, he too was one who had a problem with bb. He hated to use his team's defenses. Then for a while I think won 15 in a row.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
Stone has more than eluded to this several times.

Walking off the mound, Jackson has twice this season showed up his teammates by glaring out to them after an error or misplay and throwing his glove into the dugout when he's been removed. Guys don't take that sh*t well that they haven't in the clubhouse. Coop has just flat out stopped trying to help the guy a couple games and just left him out there to burn when he typically visits.

That is a pretty big leap to everyone hates him.