Jackson would accept move to pen

southsider2k5

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
Stone has more than eluded to this several times.

Walking off the mound, Jackson has twice this season showed up his teammates by glaring out to them after an error or misplay and throwing his glove into the dugout when he's been removed. Guys don't take that sh*t well that they haven't in the clubhouse. Coop has just flat out stopped trying to help the guy a couple games and just left him out there to burn when he typically visits.

I don't know... From what I see he's always chatting it up with teammates in the dugout during games and he's usually one of the first on the steps of the dugout greeting teammates when they score. Plus wasn't there something earlier in the year where Coop was making fun of him during an interview?

I think that staring at Alexei after an error thing might be a little bit overblown.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
I don't know... From what I see he's always chatting it up with teammates in the dugout during games and he's usually one of the first on the steps of the dugout greeting teammates when they score. Plus wasn't there something earlier in the year where Coop was making fun of him during an interview?

I think that staring at Alexei after an error thing might be a little bit overblown.

I also thought he and PK were buds, no?

Anyway, nothing to see here.

The funny thing is, I think Edwin has the nastiest stuff on this staff. When his slider is on he's deadly. And the guy's FB routinely hits 97. That's wicked s***. Just wish he could keep it under control.

Edwin currently has the highest pitching WAR on the entire team right now. One of the reasons his ERA is 4.63 is because he has a .350 BABIP against him. His FIP and peripherals are excellent.

I would totally relegate Danks to the bullpen if there are no consequences that we will have to deal with a year down the road, but I don't think sending Danks is an option right now, as bad as he has been.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 10:55 AM)
Stone has more than eluded to this several times.

Walking off the mound, Jackson has twice this season showed up his teammates by glaring out to them after an error or misplay and throwing his glove into the dugout when he's been removed. Guys don't take that sh*t well that they haven't in the clubhouse. Coop has just flat out stopped trying to help the guy a couple games and just left him out there to burn when he typically visits.

Such bulls***. You are making conclusions based on your opinion of watching games on TV.

The 6-man is going to continue at least one more time:

Detroit series:

Oliver vs Buehrle

Verlander vs Jackson

Penny vs Peavy

Seattle series:

Pineda vs Danks

Hernandez vs Humber

Vargas vs Floyd

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
Props to Edwin Jackson for stepping up and for being willing to do what's best for the team. I'd like to see the Sox re sign this guy and keep him around.

No offense, but don't you think almost any Sox starter would have said the same thing when approached and asked by a writer?

Except for Mark, maybe. I would assume Danks would have the same quotes if asked about going to the pen.

Basically jackson said he didn't want to do it, but would do it for the team.

Who is not going to say that publicly? It's not like he went to all six and asked all six.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)
No offense, but don't you think almost any Sox starter would have said the same thing when approached and asked by a writer?

Except for Mark, maybe. I would assume Danks would have the same quotes if asked about going to the pen.

Who is not going to say that publicly? It's not like he went to all six and asked all six.

I don't think all 6 pitchers would give that same response.

E Jax is the one struggling and we probably need the lefty in there (Danks) than another righty. However, I do think Jackson continues to battle regardless of his he satrts out in the game. If any trades are made, which I am not necessarily advocating, I am thinking Jackson and danks are moveable and would bring in some good talent.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 12:15 PM)

Plenty of pitchers would throw a fit if asked to move to the pen after being a starter for as long as they have. Look no further than 8.1 miles north this spring with Carlos Silva.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)

He's in a contract year and his agent is Scott Boras. I could have totally seen him saying he wouldn't pitch out of the bullpen.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 05:18 PM)
I don't think all 6 pitchers would give that same response.

Well if Jackson is a story worth writing, they should ask Danks, Floyd and Humber to be sure.

Mark and Peavy aren't options.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
I know why you're saying this, but if Hudson was still here he'd also be the one going to the pen in this situation.

Not necessarily true, you would have more flexibility to trade a starter for help on offense, etc if you had Hudson.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
I know why you're saying this, but if Hudson was still here he'd also be the one going to the pen in this situation.

Eh, I've been a backer of the deal, but anytime you put someone making that kind of cash in the bullpen because they are ineffective in the role they were acquired to fill, then you have a fail.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
Not necessarily true, you would have more flexibility to trade a starter for help on offense, etc if you had Hudson.

Not really because then you'd be in the same position as having no insurance policy if Peavy (or anyone else) went down.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
Not really because then you'd be in the same position as having no insurance policy if Peavy (or anyone else) went down.

Fine, but I really doubt that if Hudson had pitched the same here as he has in Arizona that they would move him to the bullpen, the heat would be on Danks much more (but Humber would probably have been moved is my guess).

Anyways, it's all speculation and not our situation anyways.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
Eh, I've been a backer of the deal, but anytime you put someone making that kind of cash in the bullpen because they are ineffective in the role they were acquired to fill, then you have a fail.

If Jackson ends up going to the pen, it's just one more piece of evidence that KW needs to be replaced.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 1, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
After the other day, trade Danks for a reliever and some good prospects.

I'd strongly think of moving Sale back down to Charlotte and have him start preparing for being a starter too.

What would you trade for a guy with an ERA of 5, a salary around $7 million, and 1.5 years left before he hits FA?

If your answer is "Hudson and Holmberg" you're qualified to be the GM of the White Sox, and no other team in the league.