TODAY IN SOX HISTORY: JUNE 9TH

StatManDu

THE WHITE SOX-FARMER-HARRELSON-DEBUT CONNECTION

1971: The White Sox lost to the Indians 3-1 in Cleveland with Ed Farmer earning the save in his big league debut for the Indians. Farmer nailed down the win for Cleveland by fanning Tom Egan, the only man he faced. Farmer made his debut against the White Sox exactly eight years to the day that future fellow White Sox broadcaster Ken Harrelson did the same. In another coincidence, Harrelson was the Indians’ starting left fielder but was not in the game when Farmer closed it out.

A BIG DAY FOR SECOND BASEMAN SANTO

1974: Ron Santo, starting at second base, hit two homers – including an inside-the-park home run -- in the White Sox 10-6 loss to the Boston Red Sox before 16,678 at Comiskey Park. The multi-homer game, the 26th and last of his career, came a day after Santo hit a grand slam. The former Cub would hit just one more homer for the Sox the rest of the season.

HELLO, HANK

1975: Hank Aaron made his Comiskey Park debut as the Brewers’ designated hitter in a White Sox 1-0 loss. 4,949 on the Southside witnessed Aaron’s 1-for-3 performance. Aaron’s hit was an eighth-inning single off Rich Gossage.

WIN TOTAL FOR THE STARTERS? 605!

1986: In a battle of one 300-game winner and a future 300-game winner, California’s Don Sutton picked up his 299th career win by outdueling the White Sox and 306-game winner Tom Seaver 3-0 before 19,611 at Comiskey Park. Sutton’s gem ended the White Sox four-game winning streak.

A 14TH INNING STRETCH AND A VICTORY

2000: Ray Durham’s single off Daniel Garibay scored Herbert Perry with the winning run as the White Sox topped the Cubs 6-5 in 14 innings before 44,140 at Comiskey Park. Sammy Sosa’s two-run homer in the ninth forced extra innings but Bill Simas and Jesus Pena combined to hold the Cubs hitless over the final five innings with Pena earning his first career victory.

BTW, some of these items appear on the LF scoreboard as the White Sox Almanac during home games

QUOTE (StatManDu @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
THE WHITE SOX-FARMER-HARRELSON-DEBUT CONNECTION

1971: The White Sox lost to the Indians 3-1 in Cleveland with Ed Farmer earning the save in his big league debut for the Indians. Farmer nailed down the win for Cleveland by fanning Tom Egan, the only man he faced. Farmer made his debut against the White Sox exactly eight years to the day that future fellow White Sox broadcaster Ken Harrelson did the same. In another coincidence, Harrelson was the Indians’ starting left fielder but was not in the game when Farmer closed it out.

A BIG DAY FOR SECOND BASEMAN SANTO

1974: Ron Santo, starting at second base, hit two homers – including an inside-the-park home run -- in the White Sox 10-6 loss to the Boston Red Sox before 16,678 at Comiskey Park. The multi-homer game, the 26th and last of his career, came a day after Santo hit a grand slam. The former Cub would hit just one more homer for the Sox the rest of the season.

HELLO, HANK

1975: Hank Aaron made his Comiskey Park debut as the Brewers’ designated hitter in a White Sox 1-0 loss. 4,949 on the Southside witnessed Aaron’s 1-for-3 performance. Aaron’s hit was an eighth-inning single off Rich Gossage.

WIN TOTAL FOR THE STARTERS? 605!

1986: In a battle of one 300-game winner and a future 300-game winner, California’s Don Sutton picked up his 299th career win by outdueling the White Sox and 306-game winner Tom Seaver 3-0 before 19,611 at Comiskey Park. Sutton’s gem ended the White Sox four-game winning streak.

A 14TH INNING STRETCH AND A VICTORY

2000: Ray Durham’s single off Daniel Garibay scored Herbert Perry with the winning run as the White Sox topped the Cubs 6-5 in 14 innings before 44,140 at Comiskey Park. Sammy Sosa’s two-run homer in the ninth forced extra innings but Bill Simas and Jesus Pena combined to hold the Cubs hitless over the final five innings with Pena earning his first career victory.

BTW, some of these items appear on the LF scoreboard as the White Sox Almanac during home games

I was at that game in 2000. Wow- 11 years ago! IIRC Durham's hit was from the right side and down the 3rd base line.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 12:38 PM)
I was at that game in 2000. Wow- 11 years ago! IIRC Durham's hit was from the right side and down the 3rd base line.

I was there too. About 20 rows high in the UD behind home plate. The next section over had one of the best chick fights I have ever seen during extras.

Yes he jerked it down the third base line if memory serves.

I was always a big Ray Durham fan and thought he should have been a member of the Sox All-20th Century team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
I was there too. About 20 rows high in the UD behind home plate. The next section over had one of the best chick fights I have ever seen during extras.

Me 3

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)

Were they black girls? Black girls get vicious.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
Were they black girls? Black girls get vicious.

Nope.

Its funny. The boyfriends were yapping the whole game back and forth (one Cubs fan, one Sox fan). It wasn't anything that anyone cared about, just the usual s*** talking, mixed liberally with plenty of drinking. (remember this is before the drinking rules got pretty strict pre-idiots running on the field). Then one of the girlfriends jumped in and said something back to one of the guys to which the other girlfriend got pissed off and said something back to her. The first chick comes flying down the aisle after the other one, and it was on. They went at it for a solid few minutes before security got mustered to get up there and break it up. It was bad enough that the Sox players were on the top step of the dugout, looking back up the upper deck to watch it. (it was on the 3b side of the upper deck by a couple of sections)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
Nope.

Its funny. The boyfriends were yapping the whole game back and forth (one Cubs fan, one Sox fan). It wasn't anything that anyone cared about, just the usual s*** talking, mixed liberally with plenty of drinking. (remember this is before the drinking rules got pretty strict pre-idiots running on the field). Then one of the girlfriends jumped in and said something back to one of the guys to which the other girlfriend got pissed off and said something back to her. The first chick comes flying down the aisle after the other one, and it was on. They went at it for a solid few minutes before security got mustered to get up there and break it up. It was bad enough that the Sox players were on the top step of the dugout, looking back up the upper deck to watch it. (it was on the 3b side of the upper deck by a couple of sections)

I vaguely recall this happening, but I was on the first level under the overhang along the first baseline, so I couldn't see it IIRC. Frustrating.