2011-2012 NHL Thread

I just want to know where this Mike Smith came from, because he used to be atrocious. Seriously, 2009-2011 while with Tampa Smith was one of the worst goaltenders in hockey - of course, the D in front of him was awful, but he'd have given up about 4 softies in any of these games with 40 shots on last year.

I swear goaltending is the relief pitching of baseball these days. Save a few truly elite guys, the highs and lows of goaltending performance are completely random.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
I just want to know where this Mike Smith came from, because he used to be atrocious. Seriously, 2009-2011 while with Tampa Smith was one of the worst goaltenders in hockey - of course, the D in front of him was awful, but he'd have given up about 4 softies in any of these games with 40 shots on last year.

I swear goaltending is the relief pitching of baseball these days. Save a few truly elite guys, the highs and lows of goaltending performance are completely random.

Almost every cup winning team did it because of much greater talent than every other team or an incredibly hot goalie. If you look back and see teams that shouldnt have won the cup, its always because of a hot goalie. Nowadays these guys seem to come out of nowhere.

I still think Nashville wins the cup, hot goalie, frustrating defense, physical play.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)

How about Brian Elliot? The last two seasons he had save %'s of under .900, now he's f***ing Patrick Roy. I do think the quality of the defense in front of them is playing a big part in some of these goalies random successful seasons.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
That really sucks.. I like what Saad has shown so far. Very smart and plays defense.

That's surprised me the most from him. His backcheck has been pretty damn good and he's not afraid to use his body. His offensive talent wasn't on display much in the two games he played, but overall he looks like he'll be a quality player. He's got a similar body to Hossa (Saad 6'1 202, Hossa 6'1 210). It'd be phenomenal to get a poor man's Hossa out of him.

I get why you don't play Saad, but I don't agree with it. However, Shaw has shown a great ability to rise to the occasion, so his being back is still an upgrade. It'd be nice if Saad could stay in the lineup vs a Brunette or a Morrison.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
I get why you don't play Saad, but I don't agree with it. However, Shaw has shown a great ability to rise to the occasion, so his being back is still an upgrade. It'd be nice if Saad could stay in the lineup vs a Brunette or a Morrison.

Yeah, Bruno is the slowest man in the NHL, I wince every time he goes into the corner because I know he wont come out with the puck and he wont make it back to play defense.

At least Shaw will go to the net on a shot from the point. Hopefully the Hawks keep playing like they did in Game 5. Just shoot towards the net. With Shaw back, he can just "get in the way."

Also, other than the two softies in OT...the 'hawks have 12 goals...the 'yotes? 13. Crawford is doing a pretty good job, but to win a SC, your goalie needs to steal a game or two. Crow hasn't shown that ability, yet.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 08:17 PM)
Hawks just dominating to start, but no goal yet. Slav will say they have been outplayed.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 08:47 PM)
Soxfan1: Hawks being outplayed badly. Need to pick it up.

Correct.