2011-2012 NHL Thread

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 12:41 AM)
This team has had a ton of holes for the entire season. Talent can often times be a nice cover up for those deficiencies, but they usually rise to the surface come playoff time. Changes need to be made.

The farm system is vital, as they have no money to spend.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
Let the tinkering talks begin when really the Hawks have run into one of the hottest goalies in the league.

LOL, the roster doesn't need tinkering? It's perfect as is?

Please, let's not throw our arms up and say "a goalie beat us" and call it a day and get ready for the guaranteed Cup run next year. That's a lazy thought process.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)
LOL, the roster doesn't need tinkering? It's perfect as is?

Please, let's not throw our arms up and say "a goalie beat us" and call it a day and get ready for the guaranteed Cup run next year. That's a lazy thought process.

Tinkering as in this next game, not next season.

This team as it stands today cannot win a Stanley Cup. Luckily we have pretty damn good prospects ready to move up next year and hopefully can fill a hole or two with FA.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)

I still can't believe there was no penalty on the play. It is funny how the refs said no one saw the hit, yet looking back at the video, one of the refs is looking right at the play from 5 feet away and actually shields himself (00:38 secs into video):

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nhl/marian-hossa...ed-off-the-ice/

hossa-hit-20120418_20120418085522_320_24

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 11:07 AM)
I still can't believe there was no penalty on the play. It is funny how the refs said no one saw the hit, yet looking back at the video, one of the refs is looking right at the play from 5 feet away and actually shields himself (00:38 secs into video):

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nhl/marian-hossa...ed-off-the-ice/

hossa-hit-20120418_20120418085522_320_24

that's a linesman, not a ref.

and from the video it looks as if he is looking back at the blue line and only sees Hossa/Torres after the initial contact.

Since the league is going to allow players to disrespect each other more, maybe its time that the linesmen can report to the refs on if they see something that results in a stoppage b/c there is a player laying motionless on the ice.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)

That is about right considering his history.

Here is a pretty good explanation of the suspension:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-dad...37IRGJmhhI5nYcB

Basically multiple infractions on one hit, and repeat offender.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)

and from the video it looks as if he is looking back at the blue line and only sees Hossa/Torres after the initial contact.

Since the league is going to allow players to disrespect each other more, maybe its time that the linesmen can report to the refs on if they see something that results in a stoppage b/c there is a player laying motionless on the ice.

I'm sorry, an "official" was 5 feet away. Here is a slightly better pic, and if you watch the video, he clearly saw the hit.

hoss.png

QUOTE (zenryan @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)

For a major, they can.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 19, 2012 -> 11:16 PM)
I hate that this has fallen so hard on Crawford, but the two game winners he has given up are inexcusable. He's been phenomenal in this series otherwise.

They were talking about how much of the play the Hawks have owned in this series. If you take SOG and add back the attempts that were blocked, the Hawks led 245-172 going into this game. That means it is all about goaltending.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Apr 21, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
Pat Foley talking about Hawks being team of stars.................team of stars are not 6 seeds and horrid on the power play against a mediocre goalie!

He was dead on if you listened to the whole conversation.

IMO, the Hawks are extremely lucky to be down 3-2 with how they have played through 5 games. Phoenix is THOROUGHLY outplaying us. Their forecheck is much more aggressive, they are far more physical, they win all the loose pucks, they win all the board battles, and for the most part, they end up with the advantage on any one-on-one plays. They're players are so skilled at the fundamentals, especially defensively. They stick-lift and poke-check every second of every game. I wish the Hawks played as fundamentally sound and as good as the Coyotes did.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 07:14 PM)
IMO, the Hawks are extremely lucky to be down 3-2 with how they have played through 5 games. Phoenix is THOROUGHLY outplaying us. Their forecheck is much more aggressive, they are far more physical, they win all the loose pucks, they win all the board battles, and for the most part, they end up with the advantage on any one-on-one plays. They're players are so skilled at the fundamentals, especially defensively. They stick-lift and poke-check every second of every game. I wish the Hawks played as fundamentally sound and as good as the Coyotes did.

Agreed.

The team is still alive and I'm hoping the Hawks wake up and look like a Cup contender.

As of right now, IMO the Hawks aren't clicking. Maybe it's the boring opponent that doesnt seem interested in scoring goals.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)

I'll agree the bhawks have been sloppy at times but you switch goalies and this series is over. The problem goes deeper than Crawford but the talent on our roster can overcome sloppy play if we had a legit goaltender

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 22, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)

I actually couldn't disagree more. I'm shocked you are seeing that the Hawks have been outplayed. Even with all the slap hockey (that's what I've always called it) the Hawks have averaged 40.4 shots per game in the series.

The Hawks have outshot the Coyotes 202 to 139. That's a HUGE disparity. Smith has just stood on his head. Hopefully the Hawks can have a breakout game tomorrow night.

Edited by Steve9347