Golfing Thread

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 7, 2015 -> 06:12 PM)
Wow, that's really awesome.

It was kind of funny when we heard he was playing as an amateur. WTF?! was the usual thought. IIRC it was his only practice round that week, he arrived Tuesday night. I wish I could say we followed him when we were at the tournament but it didn't seem like any big deal.

One year I gave up my spot to a customer who could make it at the last minute. I even caddied for him as kind of a joke. The tour player, a rookie with more missed cuts than Clinton had girlfriends, asked me if I would caddy for him that week. I was shocked and not thinking said no, I had plans for the weekend. Later, a buddy said that wouldn't have mattered, the pro wasn't going to be playing the weekend. I really, really wished I had said yes.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Titleist 714 AP1 on order. I went back and forth between the AP1 and AP2. My pro and I discussed AP1 3-5 and AP2 6-W2. Ultimately we went with I don't practice enough anymore and go with the more forgiving club. But man, when you hit the AP2s on the sweet spot you are reminded why they call it the sweet spot.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 12, 2015 -> 11:22 AM)
Titleist 714 AP1 on order. I went back and forth between the AP1 and AP2. My pro and I discussed AP1 3-5 and AP2 6-W2. Ultimately we went with I don't practice enough anymore and go with the more forgiving club. But man, when you hit the AP2s on the sweet spot you are reminded why they call it the sweet spot.

Both are great and even the AP1's arent as large as most game improvement irons.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 12, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
Yeah, I have the AP2's...have been entirely pleased with them (I'm a high single digit capper).

I'm playing to a mid teen right now and want to get back to my mid single digits. But without much practice time it is more difficult.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 12, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
I'm playing to a mid teen right now and want to get back to my mid single digits. But without much practice time it is more difficult.

My goal is to get down to a single digit this summer, but my iron play has just been awful. Last season I was having problems with consistency and hitting cuts and Ive been working on straightening my left knee instead of sliding and its taking me awhile to learn if I finish my swing with that straight knee it wont be a pull.

Keeping accurate stats really helps to drop those last few strokes. Is it penalties? Pitching, chipping, lag putts. Most players spend a lot of time trying to build a perfect swing when they really already have a swing that will take them to the next level. I am always pushing my players to figure out how to score.

For my better players we use 100 yards as our red zone. Down in two is the goal. Chipping, pitching, putting is make the shot. For my less skilled players we tighten as small as 50' for beginners. I use a number of drills that all encourage getting the ball to the hole or just past it.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 12, 2015 -> 02:03 PM)
Keeping accurate stats really helps to drop those last few strokes. Is it penalties? Pitching, chipping, lag putts. Most players spend a lot of time trying to build a perfect swing when they really already have a swing that will take them to the next level. I am always pushing my players to figure out how to score.

For my better players we use 100 yards as our red zone. Down in two is the goal. Chipping, pitching, putting is make the shot. For my less skilled players we tighten as small as 50' for beginners. I use a number of drills that all encourage getting the ball to the hole or just past it.

Mine is iron play outside of wedges. I can put and get off the tee but I do anything from hit perfect shots onto the green to shanks.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 12, 2015 -> 11:46 AM)
My goal is to get down to a single digit this summer, but my iron play has just been awful. Last season I was having problems with consistency and hitting cuts and Ive been working on straightening my left knee instead of sliding and its taking me awhile to learn if I finish my swing with that straight knee it wont be a pull.

I'm a 6 handicap and last weekend I shot 79 on my local course (par 71). I hit 11 greens in reg.

The scratch I played with shot 66. He also hit 11 greens in reg. He never 3-putted (like I did 3x) but he also wasn't throwing darts every hole. When he did he took advantage of it. When he didn't he made pars. That fat f***er almost always gets up and down. And to me that's the biggest key to lower scoring. We all miss greens.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 12, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)
I'm a 6 handicap and last weekend I shot 79 on my local course (par 71). I hit 11 greens in reg.

The scratch I played with shot 66. He also hit 11 greens in reg. He never 3-putted (like I did 3x) but he also wasn't throwing darts every hole. When he did he took advantage of it. When he didn't he made pars. That fat f***er almost always gets up and down. And to me that's the biggest key to lower scoring. We all miss greens.

Mine are miss hits and sometimes really poor par 3's because of those mis***s. I am comfortable with the driver and around the green, need to figure out more consistency with the irons.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 12, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)

Almost half of his GIR went for birdies, that's great putting. 1.55 putts per GIR is tour level play. That is fun to watch. By my calculations that was 24 putts for his round. Again, tour level performance.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 10, 2015 -> 06:57 PM)
WTG, Ricky...both the win and the woman.

Yes and yes. That was just a great finish Sunday.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 13, 2015 -> 08:14 AM)
Almost half of his GIR went for birdies, that's great putting. 1.55 putts per GIR is tour level play. That is fun to watch. By my calculations that was 24 putts for his round. Again, tour level performance.

That's almost what I had for each of my 9s the first time I went out this year. I seriously don't think I've been that poor around the greens since high school. Several 3-putts, chipped across the green a few times...even if I had my normally mediocre short game I would have shaved off at least 10 strokes. Drove the ball better than I have in ages, though.

We are finally settling into our summer greens. Here in San Antonio courses have a couple options, allowing the greens to go dormant or seed "winter grass". Either way the transition periods are rough. Uneven greens with some areas growing at different rates. Keeping my team's confidence level high while playing in those conditions is difficult. It also masks good and poor putting.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (raBBit @ May 26, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
Went to the range with my girlfriend and she swung my 5 iron and it snapped in half. It was hilarious and it pushed me to finally get new irons. My old irons were a beginner's ram set and absolute garbage. I bought a full set of TaylorMade RocketballZ. They seemed to be both popular and very forgiving clubs. I am hoping this could shave off a handful of strokes for me so who knows. I got into golf late and don't watch it on TV so I am not really sure if my bag is regulation.

Driver - Callaway RAZR X

Irons/Wedge - TaylorMade RocketballZ (4-GW) and Nike SV+ LW

Hybrid - Nike VRS Covert 2.0

Is using different brands/sets (specifically the Nikes) a disadvantage to me? I suck with my hybrid and rarely pull it out other than the range. Is there anything different about a hybrid that I should be doing so integrating it into my game won't kill my score?

Nah, use whatever brands you like. I carry titleist driver, hybrid 4 iron, an Adam 3 hybrid, a TM 3 wood, Ping Irons 5-PW, Titleist 54 degree wedge, Odyssey 56 degree and nike 60 degree and a Ray Cook putter.

All stiff shaft

Titleist 913D Driver

TaylorMade 3W and 19 degree Hybrid

Titleist AP1 irons 5-GW (48*)

Cleveland 988 52-56-60 degree wedges

Putter of the day

I am still evaluating my fairway metal. I'm hitting a 10+ year old TM "bubble" 15* 3 Wood. It keeps coming back no matter how hard I try to replace it.

As long as you have 14 or less, you are "legal". You can hurt your game with a variety of flexes, different grips (too excess), etc.

As a beginner I'd suggest skipping the long irons and adding hybrids and getting a fairway metal perhaps a 17* 3 metal. The 3 metal will really help off the tee on par 5s and long par 4s where you probably won't hit the green in regulation.

Every time I go to a park district course like Indian Boundary or Joe Lewis and it goes well I get suckered into thinking I can get away with it twice.

Saturday at Joe Lewis they ran out of carts and my 10:08 tee time became noon, they packed everyone in right around me so it took 5.5 hrs. Golfing from 9-6 does not make the wife happy.

Not worth the $28.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 26, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
Every time I go to a park district course like Indian Boundary or Joe Lewis and it goes well I get suckered into thinking I can get away with it twice.

Saturday at Joe Lewis they ran out of carts and my 10:08 tee time became noon, they packed everyone in right around me so it took 5.5 hrs. Golfing from 9-6 does not make the wife happy.

Not worth the $28.

Ugh. I wouldn't have stayed.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 26, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
Ugh. I wouldn't have stayed.

Me either. That course as well as many of the other park District ones are notorious for packing them full of golfers. George Dunne is an awesome course but they put groups 3 minutes away from each other. Thats a 6 hour round.

If you are wondering why I stayed:

1) It was an awesome day out and I hadn't been out all year

2) Had they said from the beginning it was a 2 hr delay I would have left

There was technically only 5 tee times ahead of us when we arrived. It was really hard to cut our losses.

You learn that the discount just aint worth it in golf. Not if you want to do anything else that day. Plus it really wears at you as you wait for 5 minutes to hit every time.

I have to find some new courses.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 26, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)

There was technically only 5 tee times ahead of us when we arrived. It was really hard to cut our losses.

You learn that the discount just aint worth it in golf. Not if you want to do anything else that day. Plus it really wears at you as you wait for 5 minutes to hit every time.

Literally one of the reasons I joined a private club. I like to play fast whenever I want.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 26, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)

Indian Boundary and Chick Evans are pretty terrible during peak times, but they're a great deal in the spring and fall. Both have back 9's that allow you to loop back around and basically play 25-26 holes without anyone knowing. I've done that a bunch of times.

Not sure where you're at, but Fresh Meadows isn't terrible and normally isn't crazy busy. I play there a lot and also Carriage Greens, though CG can be really bad mid-day weekends. 5 hour rounds are common.

I played this weekend down in Central Illinois (my old home course, Lake of the Woods in Mahomet). $18 bucks sharing a cart. 2 of us got in 18 in about 2.5 hours. It was awesome.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 26, 2015 -> 01:17 PM)
George Dunn is an awesome course but the pace of play is baaaaaaaaaad.

Last time we played there we walked off of 16 after 6 hours. They literally booked tee times 3 minutes apart. Never playing there again