7/18 GT: Sox @ Royals, 7:10pm

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
Danks is going to get paid big-time, and it won't be anything close to $9-10 million for a long-term deal.

I wonder what would happen if you offered him $10 mil a year but made it for like 12 years.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
I wonder what would happen if you offered him $10 mil a year but made it for like 12 years.

His agent and the union would fight it.

I'd be concerned about the US economic disaster looming, and hyperinflation setting in and eroding the value of that contract.

Of course, if interest rates stay flat or close to zero, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Crain has been so steady all season...as expected, some big-game meltdowns, but what relief pitcher is perfect these days? None.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 09:06 PM)
7 in a row retired.....13 consecutive starts where Buehrle hasn't given up more than 3 runs (at most). Amazingly consistent at this stage in his career.

I'd almost rather go 2 seasons at $14-15 million (with Mark) than Danks for five years at the same money. Those huge, long-term pitching contracts are just so risky.

There's a lot of intangibles that makes Mark valuable.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 03:29 AM)
Whoever the scout was that recommended this clown should be banished to the North Side

Balta, who are some other players around the world that are notorious for their "not a winner" reputation?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 10:24 PM)
Danks is going to get paid big-time, and it won't be anything close to $9-10 million for a long-term deal.

Warming up to the idea of the Twins getting swept and being 2 1/2 behind us...one way or the other, we're going to have to beat the Indians and Twins head-to-head down the stretch.

Can't see a big pay day for Danks especially after a bad season thus far. Maybe down the road yeah but no way is he getting a 15 million dollar deal after this year's performance, which is why he would probably wait out after next and just a sign a one yr arbritration contract. I can't really think of any other players that have similar cases to Danks to really say wat type of contract can be expected.

Lester was always the example in front of Danks, but you'd have to argue that Lester's on a whole different level...certainly the last season or two.

LeBron James.

Wilt Chamberlain.

A-Rod.

Lionel Messi.

Danica Patrick.

Dale Earnhardt Jr.

JOKING.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 10:31 PM)
Can't see a big pay day for Danks especially after a bad season thus far. Maybe down the road yeah but no way is he getting a 15 million dollar deal after this year's performance, which is why he would probably wait out after next and just a sign a one yr arbritration contract. I can't really think of any other players that have similar cases to Danks to really say wat type of contract can be expected.

The last comparable was probably John lackey, and he wasn't a lefty.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)
Lester was always the example in front of Danks, but you'd have to argue that Lester's on a whole different level...certainly the last season or two.

He signed well before FA though.

Tiger Woods isn't a winner!

Still can't believe those stories that he's having financial problems. That would be simply incredible, after he appeared to be on the verge of lapping anything Michael Jordan did in terms of endorsements and his actual payout for performance.

I remember all those stories of him being the first billion dollar athlete. Now? Not so much.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 10:32 PM)

LeBron James.

Wilt Chamberlain.

A-Rod.

Lionel Messi.

Danica Patrick.

Dale Earnhardt Jr.

JOKING.

Lester signed a pretty good deal for Boston and so did Ricky Romero. Hopefully this doesn't end up a mess for the Sox, I dunno what Danks is shooting for. Both those pitchers are better than Danks, and are getting paid less.

Problem is both signed extension early in their careers

Edited by kapzk

WHERE THE HELL WAS BAINES THERE?

YOU HAVE TO KNOW THE STADIUM you're in....c'mon!!!!

I guess Ramirez probably went on his own on instinct...but Baines barely glanced back. Guess it happened too quickly to stop him.

Still doesn't seen that Baines was very demonstrative.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 18, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)

I still think he's a mental midget. He'll get over paid just like any other above average pitcher on the market.

Would anyone trade Dunn for Joe Mauer's contract???

I don't think that would be a good idea. Mauer doesn't even have a homer yet this season.

Why Thornton? This is weird. I know there a lot of lefties coming up, but Matt still scares us as the closer, doesn't he?

OZZIE, if you put Santos in against Moustakas, you're the dumbest manager in baseball.

Why would you take Thorton out there? Just to get Santos the save???? WHAT???

Edited by caulfield12