"I'm Ready"

southsider2k5

http://www.csnchicago.com/07/20/11/Sox-Dra...613886491803591

Tuesday night in Indianapolis, a certain barrel-chested slugger took the field for the Charlotte Knights, the White Sox Triple-A team. For weeks he’s been waiting for a phone call from the big club to bring his bat to Chicago.

That call has yet to come for Dayan Viciedo. But it will...and possibly very soon.

“I’m ready,” Viciedo said Wednesday morning when contacted through an interpreter. “I feel like I’m performing very good, and I feel as if I’m ready to be there.”

The White Sox can certainly use him. Their offensive struggles were back on display the last two games against the Royals when they managed just four earned runs against Kyle Davies and Danny Duffy, who came in sporting a combined record of 2-and-12.

Not good.

Meanwhile, the hitting problems for Adam Dunn continue.

Hard to believe that it’s gotten worse.

Despite driving in two big runs against Justin Verlander on Friday, the $56 million DH is batting just .133 since the All-Star break. And now, he seems to have lost the confidence of his manager Ozzie Guillen, who benched Dunn on Tuesday because of his .031 batting average against lefties. Asked if he’ll do the same on Wednesday against southpaw Bruce Chen, a frustrated Guillen replied, “I don’t know yet. I don’t know yet.”

The depths of Dunn’s hitting slump have actually reached record-breaking proportions. If the season ended today, his .158 batting average would be the worst qualifying batting average in the live-ball era, which goes back to 1920. Rob Deer currently holds the infamous record, batting .179 in 1991. Dunn hasn’t been above .179 since June 19.

John Autin of Baseball-Reference.com takes Dunn’s struggles back even further, discovering that since 1893 only one player has a qualified batting average under .160, a light-hitting catcher by the name of Bill Bergen who batted .159 in 1906 and .139 in 1909. However, Bergen’s 372 plate appearances both seasons would not even qualify him by the modern standard. Back then you just needed to play in 100 games.

The White Sox are hoping and praying that Dunn will eventually come out of this. But in the meantime, there are games to be won, and a trade deadline coming in less than two weeks. Are the White Sox buyers or sellers? Just one of the many decisions that need to be made.

Including Viciedo.

When I asked Kenny Williams on June 22 what it will take to bring up his prized prospect he said, “Until I get the feeling from the coaching staff that he is in fact needed, and they believe that the mix that they are currently sending out there isn’t getting the job done.”

Thinking about benching your lefty power-hitter for two straight games in a heated divisional race at a pivotal stretch of the season kind of answers that question.

But Williams also said that he might not wait for Guillen and the coaching staff to make the call on Viciedo.

“If there ever comes a time where I feel strongly enough about making a move of that ilk, then I’ll call them aside and we’ll have a little stronger dialogue, and I’ll see if I can influence (them) one way or another,” Williams said.

Something tells me the name “Dayan” has come up in conversations more and more over the last week.

After batting .349 in May and .371 in June, Viciedo has encountered his own hitting slump, batting .208 in July with 3 HRs and 8 RBIs. But that doesn’t tell all of the story of his month. He’s walked eight times in 48 at-bats. When the White Sox called him up last season, walks weren’t apart of his vocabulary. He drew just two of them in 104 at-bats.

“I do feel better this year,” Viciedo said. “The only difference being that I’m playing the outfield instead of the infield, and I do believe that I’m improving everyday.”

If Viciedo gets called up before the rosters expand on Sept. 1, someone on the big league roster will have to go to make room. And when Viciedo does arrive, Williams says that he will be playing everyday.

That’s where things get tricky.

Does Viciedo play in right field, his current position in the minors?

Third base, where he played last season?

Designated hitter, where Dunn can’t seem to get going?

Or a combination of all three?

They’re decisions the White Sox weren’t expecting to make this season, but Dunn’s struggles have put them in a corner. Viciedo's corner.

"If I keep playing the way I'm playing here in Charlotte, then hopefully good things will happen," Viciedo said about his chances of being promoted.

The White Sox need wins, and they can really use some runs. Can they use Viciedo?

He’s waiting for the phone call.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
Just never heard a GM defer a decision so often to the manager.

Seems unheard of. What power does he actually possess in his role, other than ruining the farm system with awful trades?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 07:47 PM)
Seems unheard of. What power does he actually possess in his role, other than ruining the farm system with awful trades?

It's like he and Ozzie don't want to win this year.

Weird.

The depths of Dunn’s hitting slump have actually reached record-breaking proportions. If the season ended today, his .158 batting average would be the worst qualifying batting average in the live-ball era, which goes back to 1920. Rob Deer currently holds the infamous record, batting .179 in 1991. Dunn hasn’t been above .179 since June 19.

John Autin of Baseball-Reference.com takes Dunn’s struggles back even further, discovering that since 1893 only one player has a qualified batting average under .160, a light-hitting catcher by the name of Bill Bergen who batted .159 in 1906 and .139 in 1909. However, Bergen’s 372 plate appearances both seasons would not even qualify him by the modern standard. Back then you just needed to play in 100 games.

Didn't the whole hyperbole thread start over somebody saying Dunn was one of the worst hitters in baseball history or the worst? This writer kind of backs that up.

Edited by greg775

Let's hope after the lineup flails away at The Mystifying Chen again tonight and we waste another quality start from our starter, somebody somewhere is gonna make the call, but of course that won't happen.

KW will wait another few weeks until the pressure can really mount on the 22 year old to save the Sox. Great f*cking plan.

QUOTE (klaus kinski @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
Just never heard a GM defer a decision so often to the manager.

And two of the largest issues in 2010/2011 were due to those decisions he seemed to defer. Even if they are Ozzie's decisions, I still blame the GM for letting the inmate run the asylum.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
Let's hope after the lineup flails away at The Mystifying Chen again tonight and we waste another quality start from our starter, somebody somewhere is gonna make the call, but of course that won't happen.

KW will wait another few weeks until the pressure can really mount on the 22 year old to save the Sox. Great f*cking plan.

Great post.

I've given up. Because they can't bring him up. There's nowhere to play him after they moved him off third base. Next year, left field will be his since Sox won't be bringing Juan back.

If they do bring Juan back, Viciedo obviously will be traded probably for a third baseman which is a hilarious thought since he played third for us last year.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 08:02 PM)
I mean how many other teams in this exact scenario wouldn't have called up their best AAA hitter by now?

I think every other team would have brought him up.

Our offense sucks; huge candidate to improve it is one phone call away.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
And two of the largest issues in 2010/2011 were due to those decisions he seemed to defer. Even if they are Ozzie's decisions, I still blame the GM for letting the inmate run the asylum.

The biggest problem with blaming the GM is that the GM may simply have no power here. If he can't force the manager to play the kid, the manager refuses to play the kid...and the owner has decided that the GM can't remove the manager...then the GM is powerless.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
seriously though, where would you play him?

I guess just give him the DH job and let Dunn get his ABs spelling PK?

There are ways to rotate guys in. You just have to cut loose someone like Teahen who provides absolutely nothing at this point...or send Morel down. There are options for a smart, creative manager to work Dayan into the mix.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
There are ways to rotate guys in. You just have to cut loose someone like Teahen who provides absolutely nothing at this point...or send Morel down. There are options for a smart, creative manager to work Dayan into the mix.

I know you're not explicitly saying this, but I feel compelled to note it. Moving Viciedo back to 3b...again...after we've bounced him around from position to position for 3 years and declared that he doesn't belong at 3b seems like the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
I know you're not explicitly saying this, but I feel compelled to note it. Moving Viciedo back to 3b...again...after we've bounced him around from position to position for 3 years and declared that he doesn't belong at 3b seems like the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas.

I think you can be creative with the offensive lineups without putting Dayan at 3rd. Rotate the OFs and give everyone a day off each week that they weren't getting before. You can also DH Dayan against all left handers (yes I know his splits against lefties are worse).

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 08:07 PM)
But, "Where would he play?"

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 08:13 PM)
Dunn needs to hit the DL. Minimum 15 game trip, but it allows like 7-10 days to clear his head and completely forget about baseball (while still training) and then you get him 5 games against garbage in AAA.

Having Dunn hit the mysterious DL list would be the best solution. Or trading Juan and putting Viciedo's pop in LF.

The consensus on here seems to be nobody would want Juan.

But really there's nowhere to put him except DH or LF.

I don't see how a creative manager could solve this except by DHing him 4 times a week and Dunn three and having him play 2 days a week for Juan in left. That might work, too, but you still have the problem of sitting Dunn's monster paycheck.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
I think you can be creative with the offensive lineups without putting Dayan at 3rd. Rotate the OFs and give everyone a day off each week that they weren't getting before. You can also DH Dayan against all left handers (yes I know his splits against lefties are worse).

I'm entirely fine with that.

Just no 3b. He's an OF now, he needs to stay there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
I'm entirely fine with that.

Just no 3b. He's an OF now, he needs to stay there.

It's the whole "where would he play?" idiocy from Ozzie and Kenny that drive me up a wall. You're the manager Ozzie. You're telling me you're not smart enough to figure out ways to get his bat into the lineup? GMAFB

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 02:07 PM)
The biggest problem with blaming the GM is that the GM may simply have no power here. If he can't force the manager to play the kid, the manager refuses to play the kid...and the owner has decided that the GM can't remove the manager...then the GM is powerless.

If KW wants Viciedo up all he has to do is trade Quentin. Dunn is going nowhere with that salary ditto with Rios, if Pierre is moved Ozzie will run Lilli or De Aza out to LF everyday.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 02:18 PM)
...if Pierre is moved Ozzie will run Lilli or De Aza out to LF everyday.

How do they called up? Kenny makes those moves.

EDIT: Whoops...didn't catch Lilli upon first reading.

Edited by BigSqwert