Oney versus Valentine

southsider2k5

http://buzztap.com/link.jsp?id=5696763&amp..._medium=twitter

Oney Guillen is back in the news again, this time for engaging in a Twitter war with ESPN analyst Bobby Valentine.

Valentine put up a tweet on Friday taking a stab at the White Sox, their manager in particular.

BobbyV_ESPN Bobby Valentine

I can believe I picked the WSox. Who is leading that team?

Guillen, the son of White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen who made headlines with some Twitter comments earlier this season, responded with the following:

Oneyguillen Oney Guillen

@BobbyV_ESPN what have you done? have you won anything in the United States? Feel free to think about it

For what it's worth, Valentine spent 15 seasons as a manager in the majors, leading the Rangers and Mets to a combined 1,117-1,072 record, capped by a National League pennant with the Mets in 2000. He also was highly successful as a manager in Japan.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, Valentine's tweet is the issue here. Ozzie at least has a World Series title, and Bobby Valentine clearly called him out with his tweet. I know it's the flavor of the millennium to rip on anything Oney Guillen, but in this case Valentine needs to be more diplomatic, given he's not just some nutty sportscaster, he is a former manager of the game.

You just don't talk about other managers like that... there's a code. If Valentine wasn't already blackballed from the league comments like this will cement that status.

The only way to sever Oney from White Sox business is to fire Ozzie and wait for the storm to pass. I don't think Ozzie could control him even if he wanted to.

Valentine or any one else has every right to question the White Sox this season. To have the threat of public Twitter attack at any legitimate crticism of the Sox is unacceptable. Maybe some one should find some dirt on this guy and threaten to go public with it if he doesn't mind his own business.

Edited by since56

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)
Honestly, Valentine's tweet is the issue here. Ozzie at least has a World Series title, and Bobby Valentine clearly called him out with his tweet. I know it's the flavor of the millennium to rip on anything Oney Guillen, but in this case Valentine needs to be more diplomatic, given he's not just some nutty sportscaster, he is a former manager of the game.

You just don't talk about other managers like that... there's a code. If Valentine wasn't already blackballed from the league comments like this will cement that status.

That really doesn't strike me as anything excessive from Valentine given his job as a sportscaster.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
That really doesn't strike me as anything excessive from Valentine given his job as a sportscaster.

"Who's running that team?"

Come on, that's just disrespectful. Had he said "Ozzie Guillen isn't doing a great job with that roster" then there's nil issue.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 10:49 AM)

Come on, that's just disrespectful. Had he said "Ozzie Guillen isn't doing a great job with that roster" then there's nil issue.

Is it unusually disrespectful for a sportscaster though?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:49 AM)

There's no reason for Oney to attempt to blow it up even more than what it is.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
Is it unusually disrespectful for a sportscaster though?

Well, ok, I'll throw it back at you. If there's nothing wrong with him tweeting that, there's really nothing wrong with him receiving backlash with factual information from Oney.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Bobby V was wrong here with the way he worded the comment. But also Oney is just a turd.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Bobby V was wrong here with the way he worded the comment. But also Oney is just a turd.

Exactly. Oney's a turd, of course, but Valentine was the original turd.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
Well, ok, I'll throw it back at you. If there's nothing wrong with him tweeting that, there's really nothing wrong with him receiving backlash with factual information from Oney.

And if you look upwards in this thread, you'll find me saying "This seems unusually tame for Oney".

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
Exactly. Oney's a turd, of course, but Valentine was the original turd.

So after spending the last 4 months trashing this team and it's manager you have a problem with this incredibly tame comment made by a sportscaster?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)

So only people who have won world series are allowed to criticize Ozzie? What's the point of having sportscasters then? You would only have a few to choose from. Peter Gammons & Buster Olney have never managed, they better not criticize the White Sox or Ozzie at all.

He's doing his job on TV questioning the job Ozzie has done this year with an underacheiving team. He didn't throw out any personal insults out there, he didn't question Ozzie's overall career.

Oney is just being Oney. I don't think it's any reason for us to pound on the kid. But, Valentine and the other ESPN guys are paid to make comments some of them are out their in left field for sure and they seem sometimes to try and out duel each othr with their criticisms of players, managers and teams. Think about it folks that's what they get paid big money to do. Heck listen to John Kruk and you would think he was a baseball saint or something and had all the answers. Being a baseball analyst is armchair managing to the extreme sometimes

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (since56 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
He started it! Valentine can be an ass but he has a real job to comment on mlb. Oney is just a scab.

Comment, yes, but sarcastic rhetorical questions really aren't commentary.

They both acted like babies. Oney's obviously skilled at it, and the much bigger turd.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 07:44 AM)

Valentine is paid to give his commentary and he gave his commentary. The White Sox are making so many people around baseball look stupid and the more you watch this team play, the more you see that they are just playing with a lack of desire/passion and when that happens, the manager is going to get a lot of heat. The players should as well.

I don't necessarily think it's a shot directly at Ozzie. None of the players have shown any sense of leadership this entire season as well. Looking at the team from the outside, you don't get a sense of leadership from anyone (front office, management, or players). I would ask the same question. Who is actually leading this team?