New car shopping

Iwritecode

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 08:37 AM)
Meh, there are so many incentives for non-luxury brands right now that you can tend to make up for the depreciation and then some, plus you won't have any miles on it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
Right now, I'd strongly recommend (for most people) a new car over a used one. Used car prices are, relative to new, more expensive now than they have ever been. Interest rates on car loans are absurdly low, you can typically get a new car at zero to two percent if you have decent credit - used cars are more, if you have to finance. Add to that the fact that warranties keep getting better and fuel economy (due to CAFE standards) keeps being upped with each new car model iterance... to me, new is the way to go.

Agree with both posts. Low interest rate, 10 year/100,000 mile warranty and only 72 miles on the odometer when I drove it home where the reasons I went with a brand new car.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
Agree with both posts. Low interest rate, 10 year/100,000 mile warranty and only 72 miles on the odometer when I drove it home where the reasons I went with a brand new car.

You still enjoying it?

You bought an Optima right? That's a great looking car.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 08:25 AM)
You're a nerd, Patrick ;)

Maybe. But you might think differently if you saw the car. :)

It was a rocket ship disguised as a car. 5-speed manual. Loaded with extras. Jet black. Looked dangerous.

Bought it with 40k miles on it from a doctor who was buying another one.

When I went to see it and asked questions he just handed me the keys and said... 'I'll see you in an hour. Have fun.'

I wrote him a check no questions asked when I got back. lol. True story.

My wife never liked it. She referred to it as my 'play' car.

Btw... I currently drive a Volvo S80. A more 'responsible' car... but very nice ride.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 07:15 AM)
Don't buy new cars because they depreciate about 15% the minute you drive them off the lot.

Have had 8 different GM and Chrysler vehicles in the past and have had major mechanical problems with every single one.

Most recently have had two Toyota vehicles with no problems at all. We're hooked on Toyotas for life.

I've never had much trouble with GM, but I've had somebody that actually worked at a Chrysler plant complain about Chrysler cars. I've known lots of people that have had transmission problems with them.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
Yep

Ah, I remember someone here posting a pic of an Optima.

I could get a really sweet deal on a 2012 Sonata right now (around $2500 in rebates) but I think I want something sportier.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
Maybe. But you might think differently if you saw the car. :)

It was a rocket ship disguised as a car. 5-speed manual. Loaded with extras. Jet black. Looked dangerous.

Bought it with 40k miles on it from a doctor who was buying another one.

When I went to see it and asked questions he just handed me the keys and said... 'I'll see you in an hour. Have fun.'

I wrote him a check no questions asked when I got back. lol. True story.

My wife never liked it. She referred to it as my 'play' car.

Btw... I currently drive a Volvo S80. A more 'responsible' car... but very nice ride.

Yeah, I remember that car well...a friend of mine had one and we used to refer to it simply as "The SHO."

How do you like the Volvo?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)

I could get a really sweet deal on a 2012 Sonata right now (around $2500 in rebates) but I think I want something sportier.

Have you driven the Velo yet, Russ? It looks like a neat little car.

I was driving in to work the other morning and saw a totaled one getting hauled away...thought to myself THAT didn't take long...;)

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)

The Optima is a nice-looking car...lots of them out here in Vegas. Kia definitely hit a home run with that one.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)
If I was a young single guy... this would be one of my cars.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?listingId=68310282

I understand GM is going to reintroduce the G8 next year.

6.0L V8

Read reviews on this.

Hell... I still may go out and buy one. lol

That's an awful lot of money for that car IMO. You can pick up a low-miles GTO with an LS2 for $15k.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
the only thing that sucks about these cars is that theyre v8's , waste too much gas. my brother has a beautiful 04 pontiac gto and it only gives him a little over 12 mpg ;)

I average about 17mpg in mine in my stoplight commute. Luckily it's only 5-6 miles.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
Have you driven the Velo yet, Russ? It looks like a neat little car.

I was driving in to work the other morning and saw a totaled one getting hauled away...thought to myself THAT didn't take long...;)

Haven't had a chance, I'm waiting for the Turbo to appear at local dealers, right now I just see presales advertised for it.

I'm also scared that if I test drive one Im going to buy it then, when I really should wait a few months.

Be careful with those warranties. You have to get every single thing in the scheduled maintenance done by the dealer for them to last that long.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
The Optima is a nice-looking car...lots of them out here in Vegas. Kia definitely hit a home run with that one.

Yea they did, I actually prefer Kia's styling to Hyundai's for many of their competing vehicles.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
That's an awful lot of money for that car IMO. You can pick up a low-miles GTO with an LS2 for $15k.

That's actually a great price for the G8. A GTO would be nice too. But I prefer the trim and options on the G8.

@shack... The S80 is nice. Sporty feel but very comfortable ride. (My mechanic told me the S80 is nicknamed the Swedish Cadillac.) Also much better gas mileage than I expected for this type of car. Drove it from Florida to Chicago last fall and averaged low 30s on the highway. Typically get high 20s around town.

Edited by scenario

Where do you guys for auto loans? I'd like to be able to go to a dealer with at least a different financing option in hand, but I don't have much of a credit history since I am fresh out of college but I figured this would be a good time to start that credit history anyways. I do know that my credit score is >750.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
Where do you guys for auto loans? I'd like to be able to go to a dealer with at least a different financing option in hand, but I don't have much of a credit history since I am fresh out of college but I figured this would be a good time to start that credit history anyways. I do know that my credit score is >750.

Yeah, that isn't a bad idea, Russ. If you can get a nice rate from a bank, it isn't bad to at least bring it with you. A lot of dealerships are offering special incentives if you use their particular bank or lending institution as well, so you may just have them run your credit and give you their offer and then use the one in-hand to negotiate.

I've used Audi Financial the last two times, which is owned by VW credit, and I've been happy with them.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)

We went with Capital One since that is where we had our credit card. They gave us a rate, and and preapproval amount before we stepped on to the lot.

I got mine through a credit union.

Check first all your own financial institutions - anywhere you have accounts already, as they will probably give you a discounted rate. Check credit unions too. But ultimately, at least for a new car, you will probably find that right now, the dealer financing rates will beat anything you bring in the door. But bring something in the door anyway.

Im not a part of any credit unions so I ruled them out, as that seems a pain to have to sign up to be a member just to apply. I checked with Chase (my main banker) and they declined my application, probably thinking I don't have enough credit history, but I've gotten a 3% rate from BoA and Im awaiting PNC right now.

Right now I'm falling for the Infiniti EX35, there's some pretty good deals out there for used 2008 models with lower mileage (40k and under) for around $22-25k. Unfortunately my desires in what I want make my options limited, Im looking for a bit of sport, class and all under $25k. Not much out there new for that price, and the models I had hopes for just aren't living up to expectations.