a little update on olivo

Guest hotsoxchick1

Guest hotsoxchick1

talk around the park is that olivo is to see the doc on tuesday and surgery may be a likely thing to happen..... shoulder..... and in other news.... how do you guys feel about dauber playing catcher???? there may be an experiment involving him as playing the catcher role coming up here soon............thats all i can talk about for now............updates to come later on........

talk around the park is that olivo  is to see the doc on tuesday and surgery may be a likely thing to happen..... shoulder..... and in other news.... how do you guys feel about dauber playing catcher???? there may be an experiment involving him as playing the catcher role coming up here soon............thats all i can talk about for now............updates to come later on........

I hope that surgery doesn't need to be done. Miguel's a helluva catcher and it will hurt to lose him.

More info ........ from the Daily Southtown:

Olivo was injured in a collision at home plate during Wednesday's game against Kansas City. He attempted to throw before Friday night's game to gauge the discomfort in his injured shoulder.

"When I tried to put a little extra on it, it felt sore," Olivo said. "There was no pain; it was just sore. If you give me two or three more days, I'll be OK.

I hope Olivo is right.

damn, at this time of yr, we couldn't afford to lose olvio. his arm is too good to lose. i wonder how

this surgery will affect his throwing in the future.

i may not have been sold on him, b/c of his hitting, but damn this is a hit for us.

I dont think this is gonna be a huge loss. Olivo has no offensive skills and he cant bunt, the only thing were losing is a darn good arm. I dont think this is going to hurt us that much. We arent losing any offensive production and I think Sandy/Burke/Daubach will throw out enough runners that the opposition wont hurt us there...

Stolen bases are not nearly as important as they use to be. Now you stay over at first and hope the next guy sends it 100 feet into the stands. Catchers who can hit and keep the ball in front of them are in demand. I like the guy, but overall the potential loss will be what confidence our starters have in Sandy or his back up. If they like how the games are being called, we may be better off. If we start seeing pitches waved off it may be a sign of a problem.

Bottom line worry about how our pitchers adjust to Sandy not stolen bases.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Why in the hell would they call up Burke if they're gonna try some ill-advised Daubach at Catcher Experiment?

dont know cali.. just tellin ya what i heard.......i think dauber did dabble in catching a bit in his school days and somewhat in his minor days from what i understand..... your guess is as good as mine.......i just repeat it like i hear it..... :huh:

Guest hotsoxchick1
Daubber caught games in the minors, and he's been our "emergency catcher" for the entire season. Look for Burke to start the game tonight, BTW.

thanks cerb for the dauber info.. i wasnt so sure but had heard he did some type of catching eariler on in his days... i kinda figured that burke would be starting tonite... he was standing at the top of the dugout most of the nite with rowand and loz by his side....chattin up tricks of the trade im sure lol......... ;)

I would presume that surgery would end his season, and I think some of you are vastly underestimating how much this could affect the Sox if we make it to the post-season. In the playoffs (as we saw in 2000 vs. Seattle), games are MUCH lower scoring, and "small ball" really is vital. Part of "small ball" is base stealing, and with Olivo out of there, that will re-open that option for our opponent(s). If we were to play Seattle again, a single/walk by Ichiro would stay as such with Olivo -- without him, that single can very easily turned into a double (or triple) by the speedy Suzuki. Miguel's lack of offense is well-documented (at least in '03), but our playoff chances are not going to hinge on Miguel Olivo's bat.

Let's hope he doesn't need surgery. :ph34r:

I wouldn't worry about not having him in the playoffs as much as I would be scared for the rest of the regular season. Sandy is holding on by a thread, you know he can't handle a full workload. Burke is not the answer, although he did have a big spring, and was decent at Charlotte. I don't think they really want to get Daubach much work there either. If Olivo goes on the shelf, look for them to pick someone up. Someone not very good, someone like they used to bring in when Schueler wanted a new crappy catcher every year. Is Charlie O'Brien avaiable? Or Don Slaught? Or Jorge Fabregas? Or Chad Krueter? How about bringing Tony Pena back, the Royals are done? Brooke Fordyce can be had. Schueler loved signing crappy catchers in between putts.

Olivo is a major loss. He minimized the workload on Alomara and eliminated the running game.

can't hit a good breaking ball, but he had his moments offensively.

Why no discussion of Mike Rivera?

He's the guy KW acquired to ease the loss of Josh Paul. He's hitting well at Charlotte and has played in the big leagues with Detroit.

Is it strictly a feeling that he can't handle the job defensively?

If his shoulder is separated or popped out surgery will be needed. That was my fear when I saw it and reflected that in the game thread. Anyway, daubach at catcher during a pennant race is stupid. Every body will run on us and be successful at that. I think with sandy's track record of getting injured we will need to pick up a veteran catcher. I realize fordyce isn't great with the arm, but he would be my choice right now. He has been here before and he is half way decent with bat control. Saw him play yesterday and had three hits against the Bosox. Anyway I am sure he can be had.

here is a question...Why would they wait until tuesday to see the Doctor again. How about checking him out today.

If his shoulder is separated or popped out surgery will be needed. That was my fear when I saw it and reflected that in the game thread. Anyway, daubach at catcher during a pennant race is stupid. Every body will run on us and be successful at that. I think with sandy's track record of getting injured we will need to pick up a veteran catcher. I realize fordyce isn't great with the arm, but he would be my choice right now. He has been here before and he is half way decent with bat control. Saw him play yesterday and had three hits against the Bosox. Anyway I am sure he can be had.

here is a question...Why would they wait until tuesday to see the Doctor again. How about checking him out today.

If there is swelling in the injury, you won't be able to get a clear read on it, until the swelling disapates

Come on, Roman, Lighten up on Olivo.  He's been part of this team since the first day of ST.  He's helped win some games and has always hustles, and everyone knows he's getting better all the time.  I hate to see our roster shaken up, regardless of the cause.

Ill miss his arm but I sure wont miss his bat. Hes hitting .237 and he cant bunt. Some people here seem to think this is gonna be real bad for us but I dont. I dont think this will even slow us down. Olivo didnt have any patience either. He had one AB in a RISP situation and he struck out after seeing seven straight balls. Not one of the seven pitches was a strike but he still struck out. We ended up losing the game too. We cant have that down the stretch...