2012 AL Central Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beltre just ended their run of good luck. 5-2 Rangers.

Not a good idea to intentionally walk Mitch Moreland, no matter how well he's been going today, in front of Adrian.

Alexi Ogando's the secret weapon for that team. He can pitch multiple innings at any point in a game. Tonight it was the 9th and 10th.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 5, 2012 -> 09:08 PM)
Beltre just ended their run of good luck. 5-2 Rangers.

Not a good idea to intentionally walk Mitch Moreland, no matter how well he's been going today, in front of Adrian.

Alexi Ogando's the secret weapon for that team. He can pitch multiple innings at any point in a game. Tonight it was the 9th and 10th.

Another lead-off walk in the 11th...if you keep tugging on Supermans cape...

Every team has at least 27 in the book now. First 27 (1/6 of the season):

Cle 16-11

Det 14-13

Sox 13-14

KC 9-18

Min 7-20

KC and Min---later. It's been real.

Det played like crap and still ended up over .500.

Cle overachieved. Sox underachieved.

We'll check back at Game 54.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 7, 2012 -> 11:03 PM)
Except he's facing the vaunted Mariner offense tonight. You know, the same offense the great Phil Humber perfect gamed.

tonight, but he overachieved like a mofo last year.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 7, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
KC and Min---later. It's been real.

I think that you're right on the Twins. I'm not so sure that I'd say that about the Royals though. Their offense could wake up and if they even get a little bit of pitching they could blow right by the Sox. With the way the Sox have gone recently, other than Peavy and Reed, you could argue that the Royals have better pitching than the Sox now too.

QUOTE (balfanman @ May 8, 2012 -> 06:54 AM)
I think that you're right on the Twins. I'm not so sure that I'd say that about the Royals though. Their offense could wake up and if they even get a little bit of pitching they could blow right by the Sox. With the way the Sox have gone recently, other than Peavy and Reed, you could argue that the Royals have better pitching than the Sox now too.

I'm sure KC will get on a run later in the year with all of the pressure is off.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 7, 2012 -> 11:03 PM)
Except he's facing the vaunted Mariner offense tonight. You know, the same offense the great Phil Humber perfect gamed.

That vaunted Mariner offense is averaging 6 runs a game vs. DET and is now 4-0 against them.

Royals with a pretty surprising comeback to tie the game in the bottom of the 8th again Bard and Albers.

4-4, KC threatening to take the lead and hopefully turn over to Broxton for the save. Sox killer Billy Butler just homered to put the Royals up 6-4 heading to the top of the 9th at Kauffman.

Hosmer at a startling .183 with 5 homers and 16 RBI's.

Valentine REALLY micromanages that bullpen. God, he's like Scioscia or LaRussa.

Edited by caulfield12

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/08/36010...s-that-hes.html

On rumors that the Glass family is now interested in selling the Royals. Not exactly great PR for a season in which they're 9-19 and hosting the MLB All-Star Game.

Well, it's understandable with all the money from the Dodgers' sale...that they're at least kicking the tires, but KC's media rights are tiny, even compared to Cincy, for example.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2012 -> 09:49 PM)
Royals with a pretty surprising comeback to tie the game in the bottom of the 8th again Bard and Albers.

4-4, KC threatening to take the lead and hopefully turn over to Broxton for the save. Sox killer Billy Butler just homered to put the Royals up 6-4 heading to the top of the 9th at Kauffman.

Hosmer at a startling .183 with 5 homers and 16 RBI's.

Hosmer has been making a lot of contact, just with no luck. How BABIP (batting average on balls in play) was .165 coming into tonights' game. He's only struck out 16 times this season. Ned Yost refuses to move him from 4th in the order.

Billy Ray Butler finally showing some real home run power, he's got six now. He didn't hit #6 until June 10th last year.

Tigers win a nailbiter for Verlander (Tiggers 1-4 against SEA this season).

Valverde had to go 30+ pitches to notch the save. Just barely held on. With a two run lead, he walked the first two baserunners. Timely K, then a groundout put the tying runs at 2nd and 3rd with two outs. Walked Ichiro to put the winning run on 1st, Montero took a high outside fastball to RF (foul) for the final out.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
Mark Gonzales ‏ @MDGonzales

Sox were scheduled to face J. Sanchez on Sunday.

DKnobler DKnobler ‏ @DKnobler

Royals announce Jonathan Sanchez on DL, biceps tendinitis. Giavotella called up.

Bummer, Sanchez sucks. Who are we facing instead?

Indians beating up Josh Beckett, whose ERA is in John Lackey territory.

Dice-K is making a comeback in AAA, wonder how close that is...or if we will ever see him again with the Red Sox? I think this is the final year of his original contract. So perhaps one more shot at glory for them, especially now with Bard ensconced in the bullpen again.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/151072755.html

Low point in 15 years of Twins' baseball for beat writer...

Edited by caulfield12

Here's what went wrong during the Twins' 6-2 loss to Toronto on Thursday night:

-The Twins fell to 8-23, worst record in the bigs by 2 1/2 games.

-Starter Jason Marquis threw 39 balls in 87 pitches and lasted just four innings. He was brought to Minnesota to throw strikes and eat innings and did neither.

-Trevor Plouffe, in the first game of a tryout at third base that could determine the course of his career, ran into a tag play at second base and failed to call for a popup that he should have caught, a popup that fell between him and Marquis.

-Centerfielder Denard Span forgot how many outs there were.

-Erik Komatsu failed to pick up the third-base coach and, with the ball in rightfield, stopped at second before getting thrown out at third.

-Alexi Casilla got a forceout at second base and forgot to look home to prevent a runner from scoring.

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said he saw things that you don't see ``in high school ball.''

This was disgusting. This is a flat, unintelligent team filled with guys who shouldn't be in the big-leagues.

Plouffe is not a winning big-league player. Casilla is not an everyday big-league player. The starting rotation is awful, and the best competitor among them, Carl Pavano, hasn't cracked 90 mph this season, indicating he's probably pitching with an injury or in pain.

The bullpen has actually been pretty good. Brian Dozier looks like a player. Josh Willingham has produced. Joe Mauer has stayed healthy.

Other than that, this season has been a washout.

To think the Twins played this poorly the day two key players were demoted - Francisco Liriano to the bullpen and Danny Valencia to AAA.

It may be time to trade Denard Span. The Nationals are still interested and have a surplus of pitching. Make the deal.

And if the Nationals want Plouffe or Casilla or a part-time outfielder, so much the better.

-I'm hearing the Twins like Georgia high school outfielder Byron Buxton in the June draft. While the Twins are desperate for pitching, Buxton projects to be a big-league star.

-Joe Mauer is hitting .270 with one homer. Being healthy doesn't help a whole lot if he can't swing the bat with authority.

-Bring up Ben Revere. If you can write a lineup with Komatsu and Darin Mastroianni, you can find enough playing time for Revere.http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/Souhan_on_Sports.html

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
Supposedly Gardenhire is getting fired or forced to resign the next few days.

Kind of sad, after what he accomplished. 90% of it is Bill Smith's fault, although I'm sure somewhere along the way every manager's message becomes a little stale.

Then maybe Ventura will say, I love the White Sox but this managing thing is just not for me. I'd rather be like Denis Savard and pick up Ron from the airport.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 11, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
Supposedly Gardenhire is getting fired or forced to resign the next few days.

Kind of sad, after what he accomplished. 90% of it is Bill Smith's fault, although I'm sure somewhere along the way every manager's message becomes a little stale.

I havent heard any legit rumors about Gardenhire being canned. A lot of fans are pretty angry at him, and I can see why. But, what is he supposed to do when the starting pitchers cant pitch a decent game and a lot of the talent is AA worthy. there is n o pitching in the pipeline because of about 19 Tommy John surgeries to the top prospects.

Buchholz is 3-1 but with a 9.00 ERA.

One of the best pitchers in the American League, really, all of baseball....in 2010, then he started having back and injury problems.

Lester, Beckett and Buchholz all struggling mightily.

Bard back into their rotation again.

CLE losing 2-1 early. Indians with a lof of momentum, Red Sox with none. Beckett Public Enemy #1, theories that he is deliberately trying to get traded...he skipped a start for injury but ended up playing golf on his offday the same week. "Golf Gate." Beckett apparently ripped to shreds after giving up 7 more runs by the Red Sox faithful on the call-in shows and would be on his way out today if not for a contract similar to Peavy's. He didn't apologize at all when given the opportunity to do so and claimed that he had all the right in the world to enjoy the 18 contractual offdays during the season even though he claimed to be too hurt the same week to make a start.

Lots of empty seats at Fenway.

Between Lackey, Dice-K, Youkilis and Beckett, what a mess this organization is in.

Ubaldo Jimenez imploding once again. The Indians' announcers are getting really frustrated with him. That's a dangerous contract for them to have on the books. Plus it cost them White and Pomeranz.

Edited by caulfield12