All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 16, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
Sweden came back from down 4-0 to earn a draw at Germany today. Incredible.

Wow! Same team that struggled with the Faroe Islands last week.

So much for our hopes of Canada knocking ou Honduras. 4-0 Honduras after 35 minutes.

edit: Now it's 8-1 Honduras :o

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 16, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
The Poland/England qualifier is probably gonna get postponed due to too much rain and an unplayable field. Despite the fact that the new stadium in Warsaw has a retractable roof. :bang

From what I read they couldn't use the roof because it was below a certain temperature. They're not supposed to use it in that case.

As for the US, it was their best showing (other than that awful and scary early goal) since the Scotland game. The offense was unstoppable in the first half and they played a clean, possessive second half. That third goal had maybe the best build up on a US goal I can remember. Unreal stuff from Bradley. Hex schedule comes out Thursday. I'll be curious to see where the US decides to host the matches, though I'm pretty sure that will come later.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 16, 2012 -> 11:45 PM)
From what I read they couldn't use the roof because it was below a certain temperature. They're not supposed to use it in that case.

As for the US, it was their best showing (other than that awful and scary early goal) since the Scotland game. The offense was unstoppable in the first half and they played a clean, possessive second half. That third goal had maybe the best build up on a US goal I can remember. Unreal stuff from Bradley. Hex schedule comes out Thursday. I'll be curious to see where the US decides to host the matches, though I'm pretty sure that will come later.

Sites will probably come out later, but I'm sure Columbus will have the Mexico game, KC will get another, Foxboro will have one and then possibly RFK/Meadowlands/LA.

Would love to see a game up in Seattle, preferably against one of the stronger opponents (Honduras).

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
Sites will probably come out later, but I'm sure Columbus will have the Mexico game, KC will get another, Foxboro will have one and then possibly RFK/Meadowlands/LA.

Would love to see a game up in Seattle, preferably against one of the stronger opponents (Honduras).

I read something in a live game blog last night, that due to some turf issues, Seattle can't host a big USMNT game? I have no idea what that meant, especially considering that Antigua can host games, but that could be a reason. Obviously that would be one of the best home crowds you can get.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)

I'm not a big fan of having games in those large football stadiums. I feel like it just gives opposing fans way too many chances to fill the stadium, considering soccer is not the most popular sport around here. 4 years ago I went to the Honduras qualifier at Solider Field, and the crowd had to be like 70-30 pro Honduras. When they scored the first goal, the stadium was louder than I have heard for any Bears game.

Stick to the small soccer stadiums in mid-size towns like KC, Columbus, Salt Lake.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
I read something in a live game blog last night, that due to some turf issues, Seattle can't host a big USMNT game? I have no idea what that meant, especially considering that Antigua can host games, but that could be a reason. Obviously that would be one of the best home crowds you can get.

That'd be a shame if true. Would love to see Honduras or Costa Rica get scheduled there.

Is it because of the FieldTurf? Are World Cup qualifiers required to be played on grass?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
Is it because of the FieldTurf? Are World Cup qualifiers required to be played on grass?

From what I can gather from Google/Wikipedia, FieldTurf is allowed for FIFA matches if it is given approved status by FIFA, and I believe Seattle's stadium does have that approval. However, I think it's the choice of the USMNT to not play their qualifiers there. A good chunk of players don't play in the MLS, so they wouldn't be used to the pitch either, and it wouldn't really be an advantage. I don't think the FieldTurf is very popular with players.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
From what I can gather from Google/Wikipedia, FieldTurf is allowed for FIFA matches if it is given approved status by FIFA, and I believe Seattle's stadium does have that approval. However, I think it's the choice of the USMNT to not play their qualifiers there. A good chunk of players don't play in the MLS, so they wouldn't be used to the pitch either, and it wouldn't really be an advantage. I don't think the FieldTurf is very popular with players.

I was under the impression that the travel consideration of going to the Pacific Northwest made it somewhat impractical to hold qualifiers there as they happen during the European season. Since a lot of the USMNT plays in Europe, it's a much shorter trip to go to Columbus, KC or somewhere on the east coast than to make the trip to Seattle/Portland (which would both be awesome places for qualifiers).

Echoing the sentiment earlier, please no qualifiers in football stadiums. Small stadiums, ensure you have a good partisan crowd in the Hex.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
I was under the impression that the travel consideration of going to the Pacific Northwest made it somewhat impractical to hold qualifiers there as they happen during the European season. Since a lot of the USMNT plays in Europe, it's a much shorter trip to go to Columbus, KC or somewhere on the east coast than to make the trip to Seattle/Portland (which would both be awesome places for qualifiers).

Echoing the sentiment earlier, please no qualifiers in football stadiums. Small stadiums, ensure you have a good partisan crowd in the Hex.

They do have a couple June dates in the hex. I think I heard 4 of the 10 games will be played next June, which means the European season will be over and travel won't be as much of a factor.

The big knock is the turf in Seattle, though. It's such a shame because those crowds are awesome and deserve a qualifier. Portland and Foxborough also have artificial turf so those sites are out. As far as built-for-soccer MLS stadiums with grass the list is Houston, Columbus, Colorado, Dallas, LA, KC, Philly, Red Bull Arena, Salt Lake and Toyota Park.

Houston, Dallas and LA are out unless the US is hosting Jamaica. There are too many fans from Mexico/Central America in those cities. Columbus, KC and Salt Lake should all host a game in the Hex. I think Philly could work, too. The Jamaica game can go to a bigger city because I don't think Jamaica has the same fan base here that the other countries do. Selfishly I'd like to see Toyota Park get one, but I doubt that will happen. Either way, keep it at these stadiums until we know the US can fill a 40,000+ seat stadium.

If Seattle had grass, I see no reason not to give them a WCQ. With that fanbase, no doubt it will be a very pro-American crowd.

Columbus will get Mexico and I'm sure Salt Lake will get a game too. There will be atleast 1 NFL stadium and maybe 2 just because of number of tickets that could be sold.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Oct 17, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
There will be atleast 1 NFL stadium and maybe 2 just because of number of tickets that could be sold.

Can't they just leave those for friendlies like when the US played Poland at Soldier Field? No one cares if there's a big away crowd for those. I'd like to see these nice stadiums get some exposure outside of MLS.

Stopped into Barcelona on my way back from Africa for our Champions League game on Tuesday.

Was amazing to see Celtic score there to take the lead - heartbreaking for us to concede the game winner in the 94th minute.

A fantastic trip, :drink , and I was very proud of Celtic. Everyone thought we were going to get pumped rotten beforehand, and we very nearly emerged with a point from the great Barca.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 25, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
2016 Copa America will include the US, Mexico and 4 other CONCACAF teams...and it will be held in the US! That's f***ing phenomenal!!!!

I wont cross my fingers on a Tampa match but I'm sure Miami will get one. No doubt I'd drive the 3 hours to see a match if the stars show up.

2016 Copa America will include the US, Mexico and 4 other CONCACAF teams...and it will be held in the US! That's f***ing phenomenal!!!!

Will the South American teams still send their 'A' squads with the games being played farther away? A Brazil/Argentina/US/Mexico semifinal round would be amazing.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 06:54 AM)
Will the South American teams still send their 'A' squads with the games being played farther away? A Brazil/Argentina/US/Mexico semifinal round would be amazing.

The Olympics are being held later that year in Brazil. While you can only have 3 over-23 players, I still think Brazil would put more effort into winning the Olympics on home soil, then this tourney up in the US. Here's a good breakdown of the whole situation:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writ...wski/index.html

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 26, 2012 -> 06:54 AM)

Uruguay probably is better than the US so it would be a pleasant surprise if the US got that far in the tourney.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 31, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
I'll be at the Fire playoff game tonight. First ever Fire game for me. So go soccer.

That was a dud. Sucks that they had 3 days to market the game and it had a late start on a really cold night. MLS scheduling is poor, to say the least.