All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

I just figured something like that was going to happen.

Chandler didnt look that good and it seemed like there were times the back line played very lax and to put out that type of effort on the game winner is just pathetic.

Get a win vs Costa Rica, take our lumps against Mexico and go from there.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 6, 2013 -> 06:03 PM)
Apparently Comcast cancelled my sports package without giving me any notice, so I couldn't watch this game. Turned out to be a good thing. Oh well, not the end of the world, just leaves a little less room for error.

It'll come down to which teams can get points on the road. I dont see why this team cant get 3-4 points from Panama,CR or Jamaica.

Losing at Honduras is not the end of the world, but the US strategy in the game was horrible. They just sat back mostly, didn't look to press or attack and looked lethargic and uninspired. Chandler looked bad, Cameron made a horrible mistake, Gonzalez was sketchy and Klinsmann's choice of starters as well as subs (and timing of) were all suspect.

If we get 3 points against Costa Rica we're fine, but it was not the greatest of starts for sure.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 13, 2013 -> 07:48 AM)
It's still amazing Celtic made it this far considering their talent level. Juve is just another class though.

Yeah, it was always going to be a big ask. In actual fact, we gave a much better account of ourselves than the three goal margin would suggest. We had them under severe pressure for long periods of the game - alas, they took their opportunities to score, whereas we didn't. The whole "ball in the net" thing aside, I'm actually quite heartened by how well we played, if that makes sense. :lol:

I am pretty excited, my local university is back with a Div 1 soccer program as part of joining the Western Athletic Conference. Sitting on the border, and being one of the top Hispanic universities in the US, I'm hoping we can pull in a few of the top players from Mexico.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 18, 2013 -> 07:22 AM)
I am pretty excited, my local university is back with a Div 1 soccer program as part of joining the Western Athletic Conference. Sitting on the border, and being one of the top Hispanic universities in the US, I'm hoping we can pull in a few of the top players from Mexico.

Or, more likely, some top Mexican-American players. Plenty of talent to go around in that demographic.

US U-20 team won their opening qualifier yesterday for the U20 WC. Didn't look that great, especially in the back, but I really liked what I saw in the attack from Cuevas, Gil, Rodriguez and Villareal - Cuevas in particular. It is very important that they qualify for the U20 WC so we can try and get players like John Anthony Brooks and Julian Green into another American youth squad

Apparently in prepping him to be an announcer for matches, somebody told Gus Johnson "in the area" is an important soccer term. I've watched one game and sixteen minutes of the MU-RM game and he constantly says it anytime a ball is near one of the goals. Don't play a drinking game based on it, you will get sick.

• 2 weeks later...

USMNT roster for the next two WCQs just released.

GK:

Guzan

Johnson

Rimando

Defense:

Beltran

Besler

Cameron

Gonzalez

Goodson

Morrow

Midfield:

Beasley

Beckerman

Bradley

Corona

Edu

Jones

Kljestan

Shea

Zusi

Forwards:

Altidore

Boyd

Dempsey

Gomez

Johnson

Take another look at that backline again. 4 of them are going to be facing Costa Rica's forwards and then heading down to Azteca. Think about that. Scary s***.

Geez, if this team wasn't already wasn't questionable on the back line without the injuries...

Well they better figure out a way to get 3 points vs Costa Rica because it'll be a moral victory if the US gives up 3 or less vs Mexico next week. If we are sitting with less than 3 points after Mexico then Jurgen might be doomed.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 22, 2013 -> 10:56 PM)
Dempsey taken down in the box in front of the ref no call.

I dont think the ref was bad but he missed that call and called a foul on every free kick for us.

And I thought sitting through the first WCQ in a driving rain in Tampa was bad.