All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 09:28 PM)
I've always loved the World Cup but that's really the only time I watched. I'm actually starting to follow all the prelims and watch as many games as I can now. Let me ask you guys: what battles should I be looking for on the US roster? And what do we think the starting 11 will be come next summer?

If healthy, Jozy, Dempsey, Bradley, Howard, and Fabian Johnson are no doubt starters (though where Fabian plays may be in doubt).

In the next year, there will be plenty of battles for spots all along the backline and certainly on the wings in the midfield. Holden or Geoff Cameron could potentially push Jermaine Jones for the spot next to Bradley, but that probably pretty unlikely.

Since the Qualifier at Azteca, it looks like Besler and Gonzalez are the first choice CBs. And based on the uninspiring group of prospects called in for the Gold Cup (Goodson, Gooch, Orozo-Fiscal), Besler and Gonzalez aren't likely to be pushed any time soon. John Anthony Brooks (dual citizenship with Germany, hasn't made his national team selection yet) could be a wild card here if he opts for the US.

The biggest trouble spots are RB and LB. At RB, Timmy Chandler had a dip in form last year, Steve Cherundolo is 35 and injury prone, Eric Lichaj has never impressed Klinnsman, and Parkhurst is very, very hit or miss. At LB, Fabian Johnson is probably best when he's in the midfield (and he's one of the few players on the roster that actually provides width). Beasley is an ok fill-in, but not a guy you want playing LB against the best international sides out there (I actually wouldn't hate to see Beasley play LM on top of Johnson since we know Beasley can be a true wide option). Castillo is kind of a disaster.

On the wings, if Fabian stays back at LB, Donovan and Zusi are probably your best wide options (though I read a compelling argument for Donovan as super sub - like Fielhaber in '10, but better). If Brek Shea can find his way into Stoke's XI, he might be able to get himself into the mix. Joe Corona or Alejandro Bedoya could be there. I don't think Holden has ever looked very comfortable out wide, but I'm sure Klinnsman will try him out there if Holden can stay on the field this season.

As to the starting lineup for Brazil, I think we see:

Jozy

Zusi-Dempsey-Donovan

Bradley-Jones

F. Johnson-Besler-Gonzalez-Chandler

Howard

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 13, 2013 -> 11:48 PM)
Brek Shea is starting to venture into the category that I have Kljestan in.

Just a horrible performance. I cant see him being needed in Brazil next summer. Still time for the 18 cycle.

Shea needs to solidify his club situation. He's a pretty unique guy with his combination of speed and size. If he can crack the XI at Stoke this year, I think his unique skillset absolutely puts him in the mix (performance against Cuba notwithstanding).

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 04:02 PM)
2022 World Cup to be played in Winter?

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1500789/...-winter?cc=5901

As an American, I think it would be awesome if it was played in February. It's cold outside here, down time in American sports, and I don't have a major rooting interest in European leagues. But FIFA can go f*** themselves, they know what they were getting into when they accepted Qatar's bribes bid.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 05:37 PM)
As an American, I think it would be awesome if it was played in February. It's cold outside here, down time in American sports, and I don't have a major rooting interest in European leagues. But FIFA can go f*** themselves, they know what they were getting into when they accepted Qatar's bribes bid.

July is really the perfect month as an American sports fan. Only MLB is going on and in July it can get a little boring at times.

2022 is a Winter Olympic year so a February WC might not be feasible.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 08:30 PM)
July is really the perfect month as an American sports fan. Only MLB is going on and in July it can get a little boring at times.

That's cause you live in Florida and it's always warm. In July I want to leave the house and do stuff, because in February it's goddamn cold. I guess I can watch at an outdoor beer garden in the summer though.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 09:30 PM)

And if they want it in January, well that would go up against the NFL playoffs. And yes it does matter because the US market is one of the (if not the) highest market and brings in the most revenue via advertising and tv rights. Sponsors would definitely shy away from an event going head to head with them. And if FIFA knows anything, it's $$$$

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 18, 2013 -> 07:39 AM)
If I understand correctly, the major European leagues have at most a 1-2 week break in the winter. Clubs aren't going to let their best players off for a month, are they?

If FIFA mandates those dates, the clubs have no choice.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 09:35 PM)
That's cause you live in Florida and it's always warm. In July I want to leave the house and do stuff, because in February it's goddamn cold. I guess I can watch at an outdoor beer garden in the summer though.

WC is always fun in Orlando. So many tourists with rooting interests and its fun to find the bars catering towards one particular country. Lots of English bars.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 21, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
A lot of American born Salvadorans picked the wrong team to root for tonight.

Always fun winning "road" matches on US soil.

I will never forget the WC qualifier I went to at Soldier Field in 2009. Honduras scored the first goal and it was louder than any Bears game I have ever been to.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 07:55 PM)
It's not really fair for the US to use Donovan in this tournament. Would have been much more interesting if the US tried to win without him.

He has to play his way back to the national team. It was good for him to play.

And what a f***ing joke the ref was tonight. Typical CONCACAF BS. Honduras just hacked away at us all night and the ref sat there with his whistle up his ass. Clear PK against Holden that should have been a red and nothing. Forearm to the GK head and nothing. But Jurgen argues a call and gets a red. The EJ gets a yellow for nothing.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 08:56 PM)
He has to play his way back to the national team. It was good for him to play.

And what a f***ing joke the ref was tonight. Typical CONCACAF BS. Honduras just hacked away at us all night and the ref sat there with his whistle up his ass. Clear PK against Holden that should have been a red and nothing. Forearm to the GK head and nothing. But Jurgen argues a call and gets a red. The EJ gets a yellow for nothing.

Wondo also probably earned two PKs a few minutes earlier but because he decided not to flop and try and work through the fouling the ref decided not to call anything.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 07:56 PM)

That Holden elbow was not intentional, it wasn't anywhere near a red. I'm not sure you can even give it a yellow because the defender was in the better position and did so without fouling.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 24, 2013 -> 10:08 PM)
That Holden elbow was not intentional, it wasn't anywhere near a red. I'm not sure you can even give it a yellow because the defender was in the better position and did so without fouling.

There have been cards given on elbows to the head/face all the time when it wasnt intentional on 50/50 balls. The more I watch the replay, the more I'm convinced the elbow was intentional. Maybe the Honduras player didnt mean to get the elbow in the facial area but he's responsible for his actions. He is clearly moving his elbow/forearm backwards.

https://vine.co/v/hK9zWadJana

Edited by zenryan

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 10:49 AM)
Really, two straight losses to...Panama.

The sports press down here are going nuts and they want Chepo De La Torre gone yesterday. :lol:

I'm surprised they've kept Chepo around as long as they have. They've looked disastrous for a while now. With a really tough close to the WCQs, they might have to play New Zealand for that last spot in the WC