All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 25, 2013 -> 11:29 AM)
I'm surprised they've kept Chepo around as long as they have. They've looked disastrous for a while now. With a really tough close to the WCQs, they might have to play New Zealand for that last spot in the WC

To be honest, I haven't followed the WCQs all that closely, soccer is my least favorite team sport after baseball, football, basketball and hockey, pretty much in that order ( which is kinda odd as me being Mexican-American but I was born and raised in Chicago ). I have seen the sports media here having a fit over the impotence of this Mexican National Team's performance and they lament the fact that Team USA is clearly the superior side now in CONCACAF :lol: I'm not so sure changing De La Torre would change that dynamic but maybe they'd at least stop losing to Panama.

Gold Cup prediction

USA 3

Panama 1

Reports from Kicker out of Germany saying John Anthony Brooks will be called up for USA-Bosnia friendly August 14th. This is not cap-tying but securing the services of JAB would be huge news for the USMNT. Potential starting CB for the next 3-4 World Cups in the best case scenario

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 29, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
Good plan if he wants a chance at playing in the World Cup.

Surprisingly, Iceland actually still has a shot in their group. Overall, the Icelandic national team has gotten a lot better and they have some really good young talent right now. And surprisingly enough, he might actually have less competition for playing time with the US at the moment. Good move for him in the long term though for sure if his goal is to play in a WC

Looks like Dempsey is headed back to MLS, to Seattle specifically.

From USMNT perspective, I don't like this. I think there needs to be a mix and not every player from national team should be in the best leagues, better to play important role in lesser league than rot on the bench, however, Dempsey is a world class player and should be playing against world class talent on a regular basis, he won't get that in MLS.

I agree and am shocked by this move. However, I'm blown away by the money Sounders are paying. $9 million transfer fee and 4 year/$32 million contract. That's big time anywhere. Dempsey wasn't going to make that much in salary over the next four years and Seattle's home crowds are fantastic. I'm trying to think of this as a positive sign for MLS than a negative club move for Dempsey, even if it is.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 08:19 PM)
I agree and am shocked by this move. However, I'm blown away by the money Sounders are paying. $9 million transfer fee and 4 year/$32 million contract. That's big time anywhere. Dempsey wasn't going to make that much in salary over the next four years and Seattle's home crowds are fantastic. I'm trying to think of this as a positive sign for MLS than a negative club move for Dempsey, even if it is.

And Seattle is a huge soccer city, correct? Should be very nice for MLS.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)

From USMNT perspective, I don't like this. I think there needs to be a mix and not every player from national team should be in the best leagues, better to play important role in lesser league than rot on the bench, however, Dempsey is a world class player and should be playing against world class talent on a regular basis, he won't get that in MLS.

that is the key. if he can be playing on a regular basis then yes but for whatever reason the market wasnt there for him. the most important thing is for him to be playing full games going into Brazil.

for someone of his age and experience, i dont think this move is the worst thing in the world. he's done growing as a player. he's going to be 31 by the time the World Cup starts so this is his final WC and maybe cycle.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)

Nothing like playing half your games on artificial turf as well. So the other aspect is the season that the mls employs. He plays what until Nov here at the latest and then restarts what in March. With the summer break he is going to have a lot of time off from match play. They could lend him out but still a year out from the World Cup this is not a good move.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)
And Seattle is a huge soccer city, correct? Should be very nice for MLS.

Yes. Fans here are rabid. Just went to a Sounders game for the first time last month and had a blast. 40K of loud fans.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 08:04 AM)
I also don't like the Dempsey move at all, especially being in a World Cup year, but hopefully he can secure a loan back to the EPL (Everton or Sunderland perhaps?) after the MLS season for a little while

MLS season starts in March right? That means Dempsey will have about 6 to 8 weeks to get match fit before he is called into USMNT camp. With the amount Seattle has invested in Dempsey, I'd be rather surprised if he was loaned out. Dempsey's a pro and, with some games under his belt heading into the World Cup, I think he'll be just fine.

It's well known that Dempsey liked living in London (both Fulham and Spurs are based there) and that he wanted to play Champions League soccer. If he wasn't in Spurs plans this year, not that big a surprise for him to jump at the huge money Seattle was throwing his way rather than chasing the Champions League in a different country.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 10:34 AM)
In an ironic twist, given what Dempsey just did, rumors are circulating that Landon Donovan is going to Europe after his contract with LA is up in December. Apparently has received interest from multiple clubs in multiple countries

I'd like to see him go back to Everton because they liked him so much there and he was so good with them. By that time, I'm not 100% sure they will get the same player they got then though.