All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 5, 2013 -> 07:20 PM)
I'd like to see him go back to Everton because they liked him so much there and he was so good with them. By that time, I'm not 100% sure they will get the same player they got then though.

Everton's quite solid in the front six right now though. Fellaini, Oviedo, Pienaar, Deulofeu, Jelavic, Koné, Anichebe...Playing time won't be super easy for him there.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 6, 2013 -> 07:56 AM)
Everton's quite solid in the front six right now though. Fellaini, Oviedo, Pienaar, Deulofeu, Jelavic, Koné, Anichebe...Playing time won't be super easy for him there.

I would rate Donovan ahead of Pienaar and he's on par with at least a few more of those players. He would have to battle, but if someone goes down to injury (remember this would be a midseason move) or they are losing a player in the January window he would be a free transfer for good value.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley are f***ing phenomenal. Johannsson looked really good in his short time too. Really pumped for the next two WCQs

Could not agree more. Jozy is playing with a ton of confidence, and the goal on the free kick was incredible. The best thing is that Jozy and Bradley will be in their primes for two more World Cup cycles.

Still need to sort out the backline (I don't really trust Evans, Castillo and F. Johnson always seem better in the MF, and there are issues at CB). Would really, really like to see Brooks get cap tied in the next set of qualifiers, but would JK pair him with Besler with that much on the line (@ CR and home Mexico right?). Brooks is too good of a talent to give any opportunity to back out, so it will be interesting to see what JK does in September.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
Jozy Altidore and Michael Bradley are f***ing phenomenal. Johannsson looked really good in his short time too. Really pumped for the next two WCQs

Yeah, Bradley, Jozy plus the glut of technically sound midfielders in the low and mid 20s and the youth on the backline makes for an exciting time ahead for US Soccer.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 08:28 AM)
Could not agree more. Jozy is playing with a ton of confidence, and the goal on the free kick was incredible. The best thing is that Jozy and Bradley will be in their primes for two more World Cup cycles.

Still need to sort out the backline (I don't really trust Evans, Castillo and F. Johnson always seem better in the MF, and there are issues at CB). Would really, really like to see Brooks get cap tied in the next set of qualifiers, but would JK pair him with Besler with that much on the line (@ CR and home Mexico right?). Brooks is too good of a talent to give any opportunity to back out, so it will be interesting to see what JK does in September.

Americans just don't score on goals like that, that was so awesome.

Appalling result for Celtic in Kazakhstan in the Champions League play-off tonight. 2-0 loss, leaving us with a big mountain to climb for the return leg next week. Lacklustre performance, poor tactics, and no change directed from the touchline.

It's going to be a long eight days. :(

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 04:41 PM)
Appalling result for Celtic in Kazakhstan in the Champions League play-off tonight. 2-0 loss, leaving us with a big mountain to climb for the return leg next week. Lacklustre performance, poor tactics, and no change directed from the touchline.

It's going to be a long eight days. :(

I lost money on Celtic today.

I hope nothing but the worst for them this season haha

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 11:48 PM)
I lost money on Celtic today.

I hope nothing but the worst for them this season haha

They only drew on Saturday.

If you could rescind your vendetta for the return CL fixture this Wednesday, I'd really appreciate it. :)

QUOTE (zenryan @ Aug 2, 2013 -> 11:03 PM)
that is the key. if he can be playing on a regular basis then yes but for whatever reason the market wasnt there for him. the most important thing is for him to be playing full games going into Brazil.

for someone of his age and experience, i dont think this move is the worst thing in the world. he's done growing as a player. he's going to be 31 by the time the World Cup starts so this is his final WC and maybe cycle.

I definitely agree he's probably not going to change much as a player, my thought is more on a "steel sharpening steel" track. I just think the jump from MLS games to the USMNT is going to be extreme.

Hats off to him though for pulling it off, he gets to live in the U.S. and get paid top dollar, can totally see why he did it.

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
They only drew on Saturday.

If you could rescind your vendetta for the return CL fixture this Wednesday, I'd really appreciate it. :)

Good luck to Celtic tonight. The only team I follow in Europe got knocked out of the CL last night, but the crazy fanbase did this:

http://deadspin.com/this-is-how-you-protes...9525?autoplay=1

QUOTE (danman31 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 09:03 PM)
Where's our boy? Celtic made the comeback. Their reward is getting trounced in the group stage (oh and millions of dollars).

I watched most of that game, I'm surprised that stadium didn't collapse after that last goal. Sorry Borat.

Champions League groups are out.

Man U

Shakhtar

Leverkusen

Real Sociedad

Real Madrid

Juventus

Galatassaray

Copenhagen

Benfica

PSG

Olympiacos

Andelrecht

Bayern Munich

CSKA Moscow

Manchester City

Viktoria Plzen

Chelsea

Schalke

Basel

Steaua Bucharest

Arsenal

Marseille

Dortmund

Napoli

Porto

Atletico Madrid

Zenit

Austria Vienna

Barcelona

AC Milan

Ajax

Celtic

That last group is a killer. Celtic is in trouble. Both teams with USMNT players (Schalke and Anderlecht) with decent draws and should have a chance to advance

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
So am I. I just find it odd that that is the ONLY team you follow in Europe. The Polish League is way down the hierarchy over there.

I guess "root for" might be a better term to use than follow. Since I was a little kid visiting family in Warsaw, I always liked them and cheered for them. I do pay attention to the Champions League, but none of the domestic leagues in Europe have ever really drawn my interest and I never found another team to latch on to.