Trader Kenny pondering deals

southsider2k5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,7560549.story

By Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune reporter

8:47 p.m. CST, November 10, 2011

General manager Ken Williams isn't all-in.

While he admitted teams have inquired about several White Sox players, Williams said he and his staff are weighing the merits of making trades for younger major league-ready talent against keeping those veteran players with hopes of a rebound year.

"You know by now I'm generally ready," Williams said Thursday night, four days before the start of the general managers' meetings in Milwaukee. "I'm not ready right now. There is some fact-finding that has to go on, and this is going to take a while.

"We have some players who have garnered interest from a number of clubs. And we have to exhaust ourselves to make sure that if we end up making a deal or end up staying the course and try to add to it, that we know exactly what we're getting ourselves into."

The Sox already are coping with the potential loss of staff ace Mark Buehrle, although assistant GM Rick Hahn spoke with agent Jeff Berry last week and will continue talks. But the Sox already have earmarked $91.75 million to 13 players for 2012, and Williams admitted the payroll will be "a little bit less" than last season's club-record $127 million.

The obvious trade targets are right fielder Carlos Quentin, starting pitchers John Danks and Gavin Floyd and left-handed reliever Matt Thornton. Quentin and Danks are arbitration eligible and could become free agents after the 2012 season. Floyd will earn $7 million with a $9.5 million team option for 2013, while Thornton is guaranteed $12 million through 2013.

"If I feel at the end of the day that the best scenarios present for us are those in which we have to take that big step back, then we will do so and field a younger team," Williams said. "But that doesn't mean we won't be trying to win. That means we'll get young guys who are ready for the major leagues or very close and we'll see how competitive we can be."

Extra innings: Left-handed relievers Donnie Veal and Jose Quintana were signed to major league contracts. Veal, 27, missed most of 2010 while recovering from reconstructive left elbow surgery with the Pirates. Quintana, 22, was 10-2 with a 2.91 ERA for Tampa, the Yankees' Class-A affiliate. … The Sox honored five high school players from their Amateur City Elite (ACE) team at a letter-of-intent signing at U.S. Cellular Field. The scholarship recipients are Blake Hickman (Iowa) and Shane Brown (Oakland (Mich.) University) of Simeon High School; Chris Stevens and Shaquille Cockrell (both Alcorn State) of Walther Lutheran High School; and Devin Pickett (Iowa) of Marion Catholic High School.

mgonzales@tribune.com

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...66915650051-914

Williams on Buehrle, trades and 2012 payroll

White Sox general manager discusses his offseason plan regarding trades, payroll and Mark Buehrle - 11/10

Kenny Williams is not a circus juggler, but as he puts together this White Sox team for 2012, he probably feels like one. There are so many spinning plates in the air, who knows where they will all end up?

What Williams does know is that the payroll will certainly take a hit. How much?

"It's a little bit less than what we had last year," Williams said Thursday to a handful of reporters. So maybe not as much as fans feared. However, the changes could be significant.

Among the scenerios he's juggling: Mark Buehrle.

"He seems to be a very popular free agent on the market, and perhaps even more popular than he even thought," Williams acknowledged. "All we can do is wait until we get to the winter meetings (in Dallas starting Dec. 5), and then we will have a better idea where we sit and where he sits, and see if there's a match."

Last week assistant GM Rick Hahn spoke with Buehrle's agent, Jeff Berry. What did they discuss?

"We've had dialogue. Let's say that. It's not that he doesn't understand what our position is right now, and we understand what his is," Williams said.

Many teams have expressed interest in Buehrle. The Sox, and Buehrle, will have to be patient if the two sides will be reunited as the free agent process works itself out.

Meanwhile, for a team that struggled so much last season, Williams is fielding many calls about his players from other teams, and while this happens every year and Williams rarely makes a move, he seems to be listening to offers now more so than ever.

Memo to Carlos Quentin, Gavin Floyd and John Danks: keep your cell phone handy.

"We've got some players that have garnered some interest from a number of clubs and we've got to exhaust ourselves to make sure that if we end up making a deal or we stay the course and try to add to it, that we know exactly what we're getting ourselves into," Williams said.

So hang tight. The ride might be bumpy this off-season. We'll see where everybody lands.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

Williams plans aggressive approach to '12

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com | 11/10/11 11:56 PM EST

CHICAGO -- As Major League Baseball's General Managers Meetings in Milwaukee get set to begin at the start of next week, Ken Williams is ready to aggressively move forward in regard to making important maneuvers for the 2012 White Sox.

He just has to exercise a little more patience at this point.

"I'm not ready right now," said Williams with a wry smile, discussing the White Sox situation after five local high school baseball players, who also took part in the White Sox Amateur City Elite program, signed their collegiate letters of intent during a Thursday ceremony at U.S. Cellular Field. "There's some fact-finding that has to go on. This is going to take a while.

Ken Williams will head to the General Managers Meetings next week in Milwaukee. (Nam Y. Huh/AP)

"We have some players that have garnered some interest from a number of clubs. We've got to exhaust ourselves to make sure that if we end up making a deal or we stay the course and try to add to it, that we know exactly what we are getting ourselves into."

While White Sox fans would like to know the makeup of the 2012 squad immediately, if not sooner, the real direction of the team might not be figured out until May or June of the upcoming season. It's an assertion Williams put forth at the end of the disappointing 2011 campaign, and there doesn't seem to be much of a change one month later.

Part of the uncertainty centers on established veterans such as designated hitter Adam Dunn, center fielder Alex Rios and right-handed pitcher Jake Peavy coming off efforts well below their lofty career averages. Gordon Beckham, arguably the team's top young talent, also will be trying to bounce back from a dismal offensive showing.

Williams would love to guarantee bounce-back efforts from all of the above. He just can't take on all the risks involved in that sort of guarantee following his team's all-in $127-million commitment and ensuing 79-win debacle.

"It wasn't so long ago that we went into last offseason and we had a very defined group of players who we were interested in," Williams said. "We got those players and we felt good about ourselves, not only for the 2011 season, but for the 2012 and '13 seasons.

"That didn't materialize, so again, I had to ask some very hard questions. And if we are to reasonably project where we are going to be next year, a lot of it honestly would be guessing, because we didn't anticipate some of the years we got from people.

"So, I'm not going to stand here or you aren't going to hear me anywhere else present any other case other than we just don't know what we are going to get. We have to factor that into the situation in terms of 2012 planning and beyond."

Those current players drawing interest from the opposition mentioned by Williams would be left-handed starter John Danks, outfielder Carlos Quentin, right-handed pitcher Gavin Floyd and left-handed reliever Matt Thornton. Danks and Quentin both figure to get raises in their final arbitration year before moving into free agency following the 2012 season, while Floyd ($7 million in '12, $9.5 million club option in '13) and Thornton (two years, $12 million, $6 million club option for '14) provide key potential contributions to contenders at an affordable salary.

Let's say Williams moves any or all of these candidates for younger, Major League-ready or near Major League-ready talent, indicating a desire for the team to go young. Then Dunn starts clearing the fences in April and Peavy looks more like the National League Cy Young winner for the Padres than the injury-plagued White Sox hurler. It would leave the White Sox wanting for one or two of these of established players in pushing to catch the Tigers in the American League Central.

Of course, the opposite could hold true if Williams hangs on to everyone and the struggles continue. That dilemma is what keeps Williams in a holding pattern.

"Listen, we are going to do the same as we always have," Williams said. "We have started the process, and we are going to sit down and determine what our course of action is based on what we think our current chances are and protecting the future.

"If we can do both and give ourselves a chance to win at the same time while growing from within as we have for the last 12 years, we'll continue down that road. If I feel like at the end of the day that the best scenarios presented to us are those in which we have to take that big step back, then we will do so and field a younger team. It's still with the mindset of winning."

With just over $91 million already committed to 13 players, it seems tough for the White Sox to make significant payroll reductions. Williams quickly pointed out that "chump change" wasn't being talked about in any sort of cuts, so "it's all significant."

"I have not been asked to do anything other than formulate the plan of attack and the best course of action for us as we stand here today," Williams said. "Do I have an idea where we are? Yes, and it's a little bit less than what we had last year.

"There are so many things that are sitting on the peripheral that we have to factor into the equation that you can't. We've got marketing issues we have to get resolved. We've got sponsorship, advertising, sales. All of that, as I've tried to articulate over the years, it's combined to come up with the formula of what we can afford or can't afford.

"At the same time, you are having conversations with agents to see what the possibilities are of maybe being able to sign an arbitration-eligible player or a potential free agent, not only this upcoming year, but maybe even the year after that. It all goes into the equation. It's an evolving process."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3492720.story

By Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune reporter

8:52 p.m. CST, November 12, 2011

The math doesn't add up, so general manager Ken Williams eventually will have to subtract from his White Sox roster.

With nearly $92 million earmarked to 13 players, slugger Carlos Quentin and left-hander John Danks arbitration-eligible and ace Mark Buehrle a free agent, it's virtually impossible for the Sox to retain those players to fill out a roster that will be paid less than last year's club record $127 million payroll.

Here are the options facing Williams:

Clean house

"Kenny needs to measure the market," said one longtime scout familiar with Sox personnel. Despite a tough start in 2011, Danks, 26, is left-handed and entering the prime of his career.

"I like Danks better than C.J. Wilson," said another scout, referring to the Rangers' 32-year-old free agent left-hander. "Danks has the stuff, a great changeup and he's going to get better."

Several teams are looking for a right-handed power-hitting outfielder of Quentin's caliber, and the Sox seem to have a capable replacement in Dayan Viciedo.

For more frugal teams, Gavin Floyd will earn $7 million in 2012 and has a team option for $9.5 million for 2013. Matt Thornton will earn $12 million over the next two years, and the Rangers and Yankees could be in the market for a late-inning, left-handed power reliever.

The biggest issue would be getting enough major league-ready talent in return, primarily pitchers who can make up for the loss of innings Buehrle and Danks amass. The Rangers, Braves and Reds have deep farm systems with various levels of young starting pitching that could satisfy the Sox.

A bona fide leadoff man also would sooth the angst of long-suffering Sox fans.

Wait till June

Keeping Quentin would give cleanup hitter Paul Konerko protection, which could loom even larger if Adam Dunn and Alex Rios can't return to form.

If Buehrle departs — which appears likely with the high level of interest and the Sox's financial issues — Danks could take over as the staff ace with the hope he would agree to a multi-year extension. Danks and Quentin could earn a combined $15 million next season.

Assuming Jake Peavy won't have his $22 million option for 2013 picked up, the Sox's obligations for 2013 drop to $50.75 million for seven players if Floyd is traded or his $9.5 million option is declined. That could give them enough room to give Danks an extension.

It seemed very surprising when the Sox picked up the $3.75 million option on reliever Jason Frasor last month, but this gives the Sox more trade flexibility.

Two scouts who have seen the Sox's farm system say they could use starting pitching and outfield depth at the upper levels.

The danger in waiting until after the first two months next season to do something is if the Sox struggle and Williams is forced to trade Danks and or Quentin, he could face a market limited to contenders as well as encounter compensation issues because both players are eligible for free agency after 2012.

Stand pat

This is possible, other than allowing Buehrle to leave.

"They're cheap at third (Brent Morel), inexpensive at second (Gordon Beckham) and at backup catcher (Tyler Flowers)," one scout said. "They have Brent Lillibridge, who is cheap and can play everywhere. They have some wiggle room."

The biggest gamble is banking on bounce-back years from Dunn, Rios and Beckham. Dunn and Rios have obese contracts through 2014, but time could be running out on Beckham.

Their unpredictability has left Williams baffled.

"I had to ask some very hard questions, and if we are to reasonably project where we are going to be next year, a lot of it, honestly, would be guessing," Williams said. "We didn't anticipate some of the years we got from people.

"So I'm not going to stand here, or you're not going to hear me anywhere else present any other case than we just don't know exactly what we're going to get. So we have to factor that into the equation into terms of our 2012 planning and beyond."

mgonzales@tribune.com

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
Can we just a thread just for article dumps? I always think Southsider is bringing up a topic he just thought of and had an opinion, but instead it's just a long article I don't care to read.....

I've thought this for a while.

OK I'll add an opinion:

Wow, what a FUBAR position the Sox are in. Basically, it appears to come down to:

a) Hoping that Dunn/Rios/Gordo don't suck like they did last year, i.e., keep things intact more or less

b) Assume they're going to suck like they did last and start selling off everything that's not nailed down. Note to fans: except Rios and Dunn are NAILED DOWN.

So basically the entire team sinks or swims with Dunn and Rios--just like last year. Feelin' good about that? Me too.

I am Mark Buehrle fan #1 in the World, but even I can't entertain the thought that he'll be back next season. Everybody's going to be throwing money at him and what do the Sox have to offer? Oh yeah: less money, and that team whose fate is tied to... Dunn and Rios. But hey, you get to retire as a White Sock!

:/

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
Can we just a thread just for article dumps? I always think Southsider is bringing up a topic he just thought of and had an opinion, but instead it's just a long article I don't care to read.....

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
Haha, I have to agree with this.

QUOTE (SoxPride56 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
I've thought this for a while.

During the off-season if we waited for news to happen, we'd have one thread with the stories in it, and two with the exact same rehashed arguments in it. Mostly it is trying to generate some sort of discussion that doesn't relate to the same old crap.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
During the off-season if we waited for news to happen, we'd have one thread with the stories in it, and two with the exact same rehashed arguments in it. Mostly it is trying to generate some sort of discussion that doesn't relate to the same old crap.

But, you aren't even adding to the discussion, or bringing up ideas or asking questions, you are simply dumping a long article in a thread. I check chicagobreakingsports.com daily, I've seen all the titles, I'd rather you tell us what you think than tell us a new article has been posted during our off-season's dead period....

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 03:07 PM)
But, you aren't even adding to the discussion, or bringing up ideas or asking questions, you are simply dumping a long article in a thread. I check chicagobreakingsports.com daily, I've seen all the titles, I'd rather you tell us what you think than tell us a new article has been posted during our off-season's dead period....

So take the time and say what you think. If I have something to add, I'll add it. If it is going into a thread, it is relevant to whatever topic it is.