2012 Book Thread

Texsox

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 08:35 AM)
My wife taught it (to seventh graders) last fall. I can ask her about that.

Thank you. I am using it to finish out the school year and it looks as if I can spark some good debate and discussion, perhaps even an argument :lol:

QUOTE (Tex @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
Thank you. I am using it to finish out the school year and it looks as if I can spark some good debate and discussion, perhaps even an argument :lol:

Theme (dystopia vs utopia) and character traits

Vocabulary, especially since the book focuses on the precision of language. Connotation vs denotation along with that.

She's got a couple of things at school she can get on Monday (final project, extended response, anticipatory set).

edit: she asked if you taught The Outsiders, she's looking for any info on that!

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
The premise of the actual Hunger Games reminded of the Japanese novel/film Battle Royale

Don't tell this to a teenager who had read the books long before the movie came out, they will rip your head off. Buddy of mine on twitter replied to his brothers status on facebook with this same comment and caused a MAJOR uproar.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 30, 2012 -> 06:04 PM)
Theme (dystopia vs utopia) and character traits

Vocabulary, especially since the book focuses on the precision of language. Connotation vs denotation along with that.

She's got a couple of things at school she can get on Monday (final project, extended response, anticipatory set).

edit: she asked if you taught The Outsiders, she's looking for any info on that!

We read The Outsiders at the beginning of the year, but I didn't really "teach" it. The main activity I did with it was keeping a journal. The final projects for my Pre-Ap kids ranged from filming themselves recreating some of the scenes, to some really good dioramas. We also did a few things with the movie. Anticipatory stuff mostly.

FWIW, my kids really enjoyed the book. I teach 99% Hispanic, 30% ELL, 75% economically disadvantaged.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
Blood Meridian is starting to grow on me.

probably because it was my fourth mccarthy book in a short period, but I got about half way through that. Then Dance With Dragons came out and I never picked it back up.

I just picked up David Graeber's Debt: The First 5000 Years on my nook. Maybe after that I'll give bm a try again.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)
Clash of Kings is done and on to Storm of Swords. People purely watching the show are going to be in for some real surprises this season if it follows the book as closely as season 1 did

Wait until you are done with Storm of Swords. That one is my favorite and has the most shocking moments in the series.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 01:35 AM)
"The Art Of Fielding" is one weird book.

Yes it is, but in a good way.

ps. Thanks to those who convinced me to give "The Hunger Games" a shot. It was a quick, entertaining and enjoyable read, and my worries that its "Young Adult" designation meant Dick and Jane like prose were unfounded.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Apr 8, 2012 -> 12:35 AM)
"The Art Of Fielding" is one weird book.

I'm halfway through, damn entertaining. But you're right, definitely weird. There's been a few chapters where after you're done, you have to figure out how you got there.

QUOTE (SnB @ Apr 17, 2012 -> 09:29 AM)
I'm halfway through, damn entertaining. But you're right, definitely weird. There's been a few chapters where after you're done, you have to figure out how you got there.

Harbach obviously doesn't know anything about baseball players. He should've read Dirk Hayhurst's books before he wrote The Art of Fielding.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 12, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
Not me. I don't pay for e-books!

I'll go to 99 cents, but that's my limit. The only book I've paid full price for was Out Of My League by Dirk Hayhurst. I have 370+ books on my Kindle and I've spent maybe a grand total of $20 to fill it. There's plenty of good free stuff on Amazon.