2012 Book Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
I read Cold Wind this past week while huddled in a very cold tent in Big Bend. I won't spoil it for you, but the ending exceeded my expectations. Not what I was expecting but better. My gf was reading Free Fire which is the only other one of his I have read. Which btw got me hooked. I was looking for a book set in Yellowstone, because I will be visiting there this summer.

Finished Cold Wind the other day. I agree about the ending...well done.

I really enjoy the Joe Pickett series, but his standalone novel Three Weeks To Say Goodbye was top notch. If you're a fan of Harlan Coben, I would highly recommend it. I compare it to Coben's writing because it was intense, fast, and had lots of twists.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 11:52 AM)

I really enjoy the Joe Pickett series, but his standalone novel Three Weeks To Say Goodbye was top notch. If you're a fan of Harlan Coben, I would highly recommend it. I compare it to Coben's writing because it was intense, fast, and had lots of twists.

I just picked it up on eBay. When I bought it I didn't realize it was a standalone novel. I feel a little better with the recommendation. I can't believe how hooked I am with Lonesome Dove. When you can have a women raping a man seem plausible, well that's damn good writing.

Finished "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. It was pretty interesting, I don't think it held my attention as much as 11/22/63, but nonetheless, it was a solid read if you're an 80's pop culture and gaming geek junkie.

Up Next: "Forbidden" by Ted Dekker and Tosca Lee. Not sure of much about it, other than it was suggested to me by B&N after buying 11/22/63. That, and it was only $2.99.

• 2 weeks later...

Lonesome Dove got me hooked. I just finished Streets of Laredo. I decided to read them in the order of written, not the internal chronological order. So this novel completed the time line. It was the second written, but fourth in internal chronological order. I liked how he finished up the characters. Nothing too outlandish. I am still a little surprised I was sucked into a western novel. That's a first.

Glad to see this thread still hanging in there.

I just finished Ender's Game. Pretty good book. For being written over 20 years ago, the futuristic aspect was pretty well done.

I know several on here are reading or have read 11/22/63. I'm about 300 pages in, and I cannot put it down. Easily one of King's best since The Stand. I like the references to It when the character spends time in Derry. Makes me want to read that book again.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)
I know several on here are reading or have read 11/22/63. I'm about 300 pages in, and I cannot put it down. Easily one of King's best since The Stand. I like the references to It when the character spends time in Derry. Makes me want to read that book again.

Yeah, it slows down a tad in the middle, but it's worth the time!

QUOTE (Stocking @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)
Started and finshed The Hunger Game series within a week. Book one good, two great, three slow. Great series overall, cant wait to see the movie which has been screen written by collins herself.

I am teaching book one. I'm planning a field trip to the movie. I really like how both the girls and the boys seem to find something they like in the book. I also enjoyed how Collins stayed accurate on most things. For example, the survival aspects. Water is critical, more so than food. The science fiction parts are understandable. It's a nice book to teach 8th graders.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 11:52 AM)

I picked it up on eBay and plan to read it after I finish Dead Man's Walk. I bought it thinking it was a Joe Pickett book and was less enthusiastic when I realized it isn't. So I'm glad to read your recommendation.

Via eBay I noticed that Goodwill has become my #2 bookseller :lolhitting

I just finished "Before I Go to Sleep" by S.J. Watson, an amnesia story that I got in part because one of my favorite authors, Dennis Lehane, reviewed it as "Memento on crystal meth."

Never having tried crystal meth, I can't specifically comment as to that, but I thought it was interesitng and suspenseful, albeit a bit "chicky" given its female main character/narrator. I liked "11/22/63" better.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 10, 2012 -> 08:06 AM)
I just finished "Before I Go to Sleep" by S.J. Watson, an amnesia story that I got in part because one of my favorite authors, Dennis Lehane, reviewed it as "Memento on crystal meth."

Never having tried crystal meth, I can't specifically comment as to that, but I thought it was interesitng and suspenseful, albeit a bit "chicky" given its female main character/narrator. I liked "11/22/63" better.

Got it, haven't read it yet.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 11:06 PM)
Just started "The Given Day" by Dennis Lehane on a friends recommendation.

I haven't read that one, but I have read most of his other books. His Kenzie/Gennaro books are top notch, and of course Shutter Island and Mystic River are great. I would recommend all of them.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 06:13 AM)
I haven't read that one, but I have read most of his other books. His Kenzie/Gennaro books are top notch, and of course Shutter Island and Mystic River are great. I would recommend all of them.

I've read a bit of his work. Good stuff.

QUOTE (Stocking @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)
Started and finshed The Hunger Game series within a week. Book one good, two great, three slow. Great series overall, cant wait to see the movie which has been screen written by collins herself.

Halfway through book two. Love the story.