2012 Book Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
Wanting to do some fairly low impact reading over the holidays I got around to reading the Hunger Games trilogy. Very enjoyable.

I finished The Hunger Games the other day and just started Catching Fire last night. So far, so good. Really enjoyable books.

Edited by dasox24

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 11:57 AM)
I'm halfway through book three and have been for about 2 months. He decided to focus on characters and storylines I just don't care for. I find myself always skimming ahead to see how much more I have to get through to get to a section I care about. 'Ugh, 60 more pages until more Tyrion....maybe tomorrow."

The second half of book three is my favorite of the entire series. Book 4 and 5 took me forever to get through. I'm still intrigued enough where I'm going to finish the series but a lot of those last two books felt like a chore.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
I haven't read Steven King in years, but I asked for "11/22/63" for Christmas, as it seemed to have an interesting premise. I'm not far enough into it to have an opinion yet.

I've got about 40 pages left to read, but I pretty much know how it ends because I'm a sucker for spoilers. At 800+ pages it's one of his longer books but I've really enjoyed it.

I've heard people complain that the middle part gets boring but it technically "starts" in 1958 and 5 years is a lot of time to cover. I can also see the reason he made the time span so long. I keep thinking of Back to the Future when I read it but even thinking of the time that's passed from when those movies were made until now is amazing. Marty McFly never missed not having a cell phone or the internet when he time travelled.

I've also heard that it's one of his best endings and after I read it for myself, I think I will agree.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
And I feel like a real heathen for saying this, but "The Road" bored me silly.

Ditto :ph34r:

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
I've got about 40 pages left to read, but I pretty much know how it ends because I'm a sucker for spoilers. At 800+ pages it's one of his longer books but I've really enjoyed it.

I've heard people complain that the middle part gets boring but it technically "starts" in 1958 and 5 years is a lot of time to cover. I can also see the reason he made the time span so long. I keep thinking of Back to the Future when I read it but even thinking of the time that's passed from when those movies were made until now is amazing. Marty McFly never missed not having a cell phone or the internet when he time travelled.

I've also heard that it's one of his best endings and after I read it for myself, I think I will agree.

Ditto :ph34r:

Thanks for the input on King's new book. I think maybe I'll make that my new read since I've had it on my Kindle since it came out but haven't started it yet.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
Thanks for the input on King's new book. I think maybe I'll make that my new read since I've had it on my Kindle since it came out but haven't started it yet.

I've noticed that some of his stories tend to start slow and pick up steam as you continue on. This one really hooked me from the first few pages.

It also helps if you've read IT before this as some of the characters and places from that book make an appearance.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 12:45 AM)
Found any good ones?

I'm a bargain hunter when it comes to buying stuff for my Kindle. If a book is $10 or so on Kindle, I'll go old school and get it from the library. For the most part, every book I've downloaded has been less than $5, and many have been $2.99 or less. A few standouts were Wet Desert by Gary Hansen ($2.99), No Good Deed by M. P. McDonald ($2.99), Brainrush by Richard Bard ($.99), and Suckers by Jack Kilborn and Jeff Strand ($2.99).

I've been reading a lot more since I bought my Nook Tablet. Mainly, because it's super easy to download books for free for Kindle and Nook.

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline, was an absolute blast to read. Anyone who enjoyed Ender's Game would absolutely adore that book.

I just started the new Stephen King last night and am geeking out over it. The first 100 pages flew by and I cannot wait to finish that quickly.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
I've been reading a lot more since I bought my Nook Tablet. Mainly, because it's super easy to download books for free for Kindle and Nook.

Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline, was an absolute blast to read. Anyone who enjoyed Ender's Game would absolutely adore that book.

I just started the new Stephen King last night and am geeking out over it. The first 100 pages flew by and I cannot wait to finish that quickly.

I will probably have to read Ready Player One after I finish the new Stephen King myself. I'm a huge fan of Ender's game.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 11:01 PM)
Downloaded Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Saw the ads for the movie for the first time in New York and it's been stuck in my head since.

I saw the previews on Christmas and my cousin told me it was a good read so I went home and downloaded it as well. Hopefully I get to it eventually.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 07:28 AM)
I saw the previews on Christmas and my cousin told me it was a good read so I went home and downloaded it as well. Hopefully I get to it eventually.

Two chapters in and it's certainly different enough that I like it so far.

I finally finished Bob Mould's autobio, and I just picked up two books I'm excited to read:

Dirty Deeds: My Life Inside/Outside of AC/DC by Mark Evans

Surviving The Ramones by DeeDee Ramone

As you can probably tell, I prefer biographies to fiction.

Edited by The Critic

I'm no King fanatic, but I dug 11/22/63. But I'm also a sucker for time travel and alternate universes kind of s***. What was creepy was I finished the book on 11/22/11...didn't even realize it until like halfway though the day haha.

I'm excited for the second part of The Passage trilogy to come out. The Twelve comes out in August. I'm re-reading The Passage now so it'll be fresh on my mind when I start the next book cause I've heard that it takes place at the same time as the first book...

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 11:50 AM)
I finally finished Bob Mould's autobio, and I just picked up two books I'm excited to read:

Dirty Deeds: My Life Inside/Outside of AC/DC by Dave Evans

Surviving The Ramones by DeeDee Ramone

As you can probably tell, I prefer biographies to fiction.

I like bios too. One of my favorites was the one on Houdini.