2012 Book Thread

Texsox

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
Just finished "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. As a child of the 80's and a slight geek, this was right in my wheelhouse.

There were a couple of references that I didn't quite get because I hadn't played the game or watched the movie but I enjoyed it overall.

So who can send me this for free?

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
I love my Kindle paperwhite. I'd much rather read on a e-reader than a tablet.

I've still got the original nook, but that's my opinion as well. Color touch-screen e-ink would be awesome if they can figure it out, but until then I'd rather have the dedicated reader.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 15, 2012 -> 04:10 PM)
People read?

In other nudes, should I get a Kindle for Christmas? iPad? Something else?

Here's the deal.

Nook Tablet HD gives you the ability to expand storage, Kindle Fire HD is out of the box easier to install any app. I've had my original Nook Tablet for 11 months now, and still use it every day. It's great.

That being said, the competition in the "smaller tablet" has exploded. If I were shopping today, I'd be looking at the Nexus 7 or 10 (probably 10, I love to use my Nook at the gym and stream HBO Go, Amazon Prime Instant Video, or Netflix and just watch shows. Makes burning the calories no big deal.

Then just download the kindle app or the nook app and read your books as if it were a Fire or Nook. No real reason to not get something that out of the box opens you up to the Google Play Market.

Edited by Steve9347

It has been nothing but Faulkner the past three months. Sanctuary, Absalom! Absalom!, Go Down Moses, Wild Palms, Pylon, they are all blurring together.

I am looking forward to a bit of fun reading as soon as the semester is over.

Border Crossing: Walking the Haiku Path on the International Appalachian Trail

by Ian Marshall

http://www.modernhaiku.org/bookreviews/Marshall2012.html

firelight spreading

farther than its heat

remembering an old flame

every wave

the sea revising

its last line

the map after the trip

creases and stories

every which way

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
I just finished "Colonial Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris, which was a great book. I learned a ton about the guy.

http://www.amazon.com/Colonel-Roosevelt-Ed...s/dp/0375757074

I read "Theodore Roosevelt and the Idea of Race" and I have to say it would be hard for me to see him in a completely positive light at this point. Beyond anything else, the guy was just crazy.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
I read "Theodore Roosevelt and the Idea of Race" and I have to say it would be hard for me to see him in a completely positive light at this point. Beyond anything else, the guy was just crazy.

He was pretty crazy. He was completely obsessive about anything he got into. It pretty much got one of his kids killed, and a couple of them pretty seriously hurt.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 19, 2012 -> 04:13 PM)
I googled it.

Apparently it is a book about a woman who loves being f***ed in the butt.

Nice.

:wub:

Full of purple prose. (Rimshot)

(Rimshot)

Erotic literature is good sh*t. I read Anais Nin when I was a teenager.

Ugh, Dance with Dragons SUCKED. I'm with Zoom from a few months ago - the last 2 books blew. They took forever to get through and very little happened. So disappointed. I found myself skipping pages of DoD just to get it over with. I'm sure i'll pick up the new one, whenever it comes out, but i'm not at all jazzed about it like I was moving onto book 3.

Moving on to The Passage. Book one of three about some kind of post-apocalyptic world. Heard very good things.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
Ugh, Dance with Dragons SUCKED. I'm with Zoom from a few months ago - the last 2 books blew. They took forever to get through and very little happened. So disappointed. I found myself skipping pages of DoD just to get it over with. I'm sure i'll pick up the new one, whenever it comes out, but i'm not at all jazzed about it like I was moving onto book 3.

Moving on to The Passage. Book one of three about some kind of post-apocalyptic world. Heard very good things.

I agree. DOD was better than FFC but they were both very slow.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 30, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)

I started The Passage, but I couldn't get into it. I'm hoping I just wasn't in the mood at the time. I might give it another chance one day.