Big East Tourney

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 09:55 AM)
Per Sagarin, UConn's SOS is 16th nationally (this includes yesterday's game), Texas' is 15th. Going into conference tourney play, they were both 19-12 overall. They each have one win over a T25 team. UConn had an easier conference schedule to plow through, but not by a ton. Very, very similar squads in background. UConn beat WV which likely gets them in, just as Texas likely gets in (full bid, not the play-in round) with a win over ISU tonight. For either one, a first round loss in the conference tourney puts them, IMO, on the bubble, hoping for a play-in 12/13 bid.

WV has a 14th SOS per Sagarin, so again right there with the other two. They finish 19-13. They actually have 2 wins over T25 teams though. I call them a bubble team too, right in the middle. UConn is leaning in, Texas leaning out, at the moment.

But, UConn won, so they are likely in. Texas, we'll see tonight. B12/B10/A10 tournies matter, so does MWC, maybe a couple other conferences as well, to see what bubble teams need an at-large bid. Drexel already got thrown into the mix.

ESPN has UConn's SOS at #3. But I see what you're saying, I just don't agree. I think they are solidly in at this point, and already were going into yesterday. I'm sure they would also have gotten some consideration for the NCAA's debacle of handling Boatright and Calhoun missing so many games. I also don't think they have very similar squads either. I think Drexel has a better chance than Texas at the moment, for example.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
ESPN has UConn's SOS at #3. But I see what you're saying, I just don't agree. I think they are solidly in at this point, and already were going into yesterday. I'm sure they would also have gotten some consideration for the NCAA's debacle of handling Boatright and Calhoun missing so many games. I also don't think they have very similar squads either. I think Drexel has a better chance than Texas at the moment, for example.

Hm. Well, in case I was unclear, I didn't mean to say that UConn and Texas were similar in style of play or anything. I meant in terms of resume.

We obviously have to agree to disagree on this one. My feeling is that, they have similar resumes, but UConn simply had an easier late-season schedule to work with being in a conference with a lot more flotsam at the bottom. Also, I would be highly skeptical of ESPN's rankings when discussing any Big East school - just look at the Bracketology posts they put up.

But Drexel over Texas? Seriously? They have beaten no ranked team, their SOS is a miserable 212th (of about 300), the only team even in the Top 50 they beat is VCU (who they also lost a game to), and the only major conference team they played (UVA) beat them handily at Drexel. Texas has 1 win against Top 25, 3 against Top 50, and an SOS in the top 20. Drexel may sneak into a play-in game if things fall out just right, but I would put them below Texas AND all four of those Big East schools we were discussing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
Hm. Well, in case I was unclear, I didn't mean to say that UConn and Texas were similar in style of play or anything. I meant in terms of resume.

We obviously have to agree to disagree on this one. My feeling is that, they have similar resumes, but UConn simply had an easier late-season schedule to work with being in a conference with a lot more flotsam at the bottom. Also, I would be highly skeptical of ESPN's rankings when discussing any Big East school - just look at the Bracketology posts they put up.

But Drexel over Texas? Seriously? They have beaten no ranked team, their SOS is a miserable 212th (of about 300), the only team even in the Top 50 they beat is VCU (who they also lost a game to), and the only major conference team they played (UVA) beat them handily at Drexel. Texas has 1 win against Top 25, 3 against Top 50, and an SOS in the top 20. Drexel may sneak into a play-in game if things fall out just right, but I would put them below Texas AND all four of those Big East schools we were discussing.

I guess it's more I would rather Drexel be rewarded for winning their conference regular season and having a great season (27 wins, 19 in a row) and IMO passing the eye test, rather than reward a big conference school for mediocrity.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
I guess it's more I would rather Drexel be rewarded for winning their conference regular season and having a great season (27 wins, 19 in a row) and IMO passing the eye test, rather than reward a big conference school for mediocrity.

That I get. If all else is equal, or very close to equal, I would give the nod to a team who won a conference title. But I don't think Drexel is all that close to Texas.

We'll see what happens today. If Texas beats ISU, they are definitely in. If not, then the argument with teams like Drexel, Seton Hall, Colorado State and others will get interesting.