Trayvon Martin

StrangeSox

Hispanic is not technically a race anyway. Since there were indigenous people in those countries just like here they have Indians, and they have straight-up white people who descended from Europeans, they had African slaves just like here, and they have everything in between. I don't even get the controversy to point out that someone has light skin. Anyway Zimmerman's race is irrelevant to almost every point I made in here so far except for that he isn't black (which would change the whole calculus of how everything played out from the start).

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
Hispanic is not technically a race anyway. Since there were indigenous people in those countries just like here they have Indians, and they have straight-up white people who descended from Europeans, they had African slaves just like here, and they have everything in between. I don't even get the controversy to point out that someone has light skin. Anyway Zimmerman's race is irrelevant to almost every point I made in here so far except for that he isn't black (which would change the whole calculus of how everything played out from the start).

No controversy, I am just correcting u. Dude isn't white. Deal.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:02 PM)
No controversy, I am just correcting u. Dude isn't white. Deal.

I don't actually even care since I'm not insisting he's white. The post that started all this was when I said something like "I know he's not white but he has fair skin" which Milkman said was racist of me to say, and more than anything I actually think that's kind of funny.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
lostfan,

Sometimes you just have to accept that a certain subset will just never see/understand what it is like to be "other".

It was a lot simpler when people were just overtly racist.

There's actually a whole larger point I could make to explain that but it would be outside the scope of what I'm trying to do here, which is to show how and why the world looks different through the eyes of a black person which means they feel and react differently from everyone else. I have a hard enough time explaining that as is, quite frankly.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
OK, you know... I really dislike both of those guys, but their actions clearly show in this case they are trying to keep people calm. I really can't criticize them in this case, and frankly, you are only doing so out of fear and not fact. I hate defending their actions, but, this is reality.

they are literally responsible for any act of violence in this country, apparently.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 12:51 PM)
The dude looks totally "Hispanic". Definitely not "white". Not that it should matter. But u guys seem obsessed over his supposed "whiteness"

I was making a general comment on what 'race' means. It's a social construct, and it's as much about how others perceive you as it is about how you perceive and identify yourself.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)
Watch Sean Hannity for like 90 seconds

see also: "the blacks are gonna riot" and associated comments

Are you not watching the news, Keith? I know they are mostly opportunists, anarchist, occupy assholes and so on, but they are doing it in the name of Trayvon. They showed a picture of about 15 people surrounding and jumping on a minivan. I wouldn't blame whoever was in there one bit if they would have just floored it and got out of Dodge.

And no thanks on watching Hannity.

Edited by Alpha Dog

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
The new thing I keep seeing, especially in light of this verdict, is this insistence that the only remaining racists are black people.

Yea, I'm gonna have to go ahead and say no to this.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 01:44 PM)
Watch Sean Hannity for like 90 seconds

see also: "the blacks are gonna riot" and associated comments

Yes, there are idiots out there saying idiotic things. That's what they do.

But to conclude that in light of what happened, that only black people are still racists is flat out incorrect. Yes, there are a lot of white people (and other opportunists) pretending to care right now, when they really don't, but this is just ... not a logical conclusion.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:47 PM)
Are you not watching the news, Keith? I know they are mostly opportunists, anarchist, occupy assholes and so on, but they are doing it in the name of Trayvon. They showed a picture of about 15 people surrounding and jumping on a minivan. I wouldn't blame whoever was in there one bit if they would have just floored it and got out of Dodge.

And no thanks on watching Hannity.

Yeah, that's not what I mean though. That is just general douchebaggery not actually supported by anyone. I'm talking about when either:

1) black people are "the real racists" when they call out people who are doing or saying something obviously racist

2) white people telling black people what is or isn't racist and/or plugging ears and saying "get over it" when they try to talk about issues that affect them

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
Yes, there are idiots out there saying idiotic things. That's what they do.

But to conclude that in light of what happened, that only black people are still racists is flat out incorrect. Yes, there are a lot of white people (and other opportunists) pretending to care right now, when they really don't, but this is just ... not a logical conclusion.

Example.

And so it was for a few weeks until the race-baiting industry saw an opportunity to further the racist careers of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, the Black Panthers. President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder, et al, who then swept down on the Florida community refusing to admit that the 17-year-old dope smoking, racist gangsta wannabe Trayvon Martin was at all responsible for his bad decisions and standard modus operendi of always taking the violent route.

With an obvious racist chip on his shoulder, referencing the neighborhood watch guy as a “creepy ass cracker” to his fellow racist female friend who admitted under oath that that is how non-blacks are referred to normally in their circles, Trayvon had no reason not to attack, because it was the standard thug thing to do. See Chicago any day of the week.

With nearly 700 examples of this truism played out in Chicago in 2012 alone, no one can possibly dispute the recent surge in black racism increasing throughout Barack Obama’s presidency. To attempt to claim otherwise is a laughable lie

Yeah I know that's goofy ass Ted Nugent but that's the most recent example I could think of off the top of my head and definitely not the first time I've seen that.

Also: when I hear prominent conservative types like Nugent, or Hannity, or Gingrich bring up Chicago as a counter-example (actually a non-sequitur) my first thought is "and what have YOU tried to do to help? Where've you been?" The answer to that is absolutely nothing whatsoever.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
Yeah, that's not what I mean though. That is just general douchebaggery not actually supported by anyone. I'm talking about when either:

1) black people are "the real racists" when they call out people who are doing or saying something obviously racist

2) white people telling black people what is or isn't racist and/or plugging ears and saying "get over it" when they try to talk about issues that affect them

I have to ask you...do you ever find it annoying when white people (OR lighter skinned people) go out of their way to prove they're not racists? I've been seeing a LOT of this as of late, and it makes me believe they're closet racists.

The words, trying too hard, come to mind when I see it...so I was wondering your perspective on the same.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
Example.

Yeah I know that's goofy ass Ted Nugent but that's the most recent example I could think of off the top of my head and definitely not the first time I've seen that.

Also: when I hear prominent conservative types like Nugent, or Hannity, or Gingrich bring up Chicago as a counter-example (actually a non-sequitur) my first thought is "and what have YOU tried to do to help? Where've you been?" The answer to that is absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Well when they try and help with the schools, they kept that troll Karen Lewis telling them 'thanks for your money, but your white cracka ass has no business telling us how to school OUR children, pay us and leave'. or words to that effect. Why would they want to interfere when their motives are always questioned and they are perceived as only open wallets?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 02:15 PM)
I have to ask you...do you ever find it annoying when white people (OR lighter skinned people) go out of their way to prove they're not racists? I've been seeing a LOT of this as of late, and it makes me believe they're closet racists.

The words, trying too hard, come to mind when I see it...so I was wondering your perspective on the same.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
Well when they try and help with the schools, they kept that troll Karen Lewis telling them 'thanks for your money, but your white cracka ass has no business telling us how to school OUR children, pay us and leave'. or words to that effect. Why would they want to interfere when their motives are always questioned and they are perceived as only open wallets?

It just sounds like concern trolling to me, Chicago is only a useful gun control talking point and nothing more. They have no intention to actually do anything about it.

btw while I think trying to push charter schools is bulls*** and scamming taxpayers I don't buy the outrage and racism accusations against Rahm for closing the schools b/c I think the parents are full of s***. Their main gripe is that the new schools their kids are going to is gonna be a little farther away and they're gonna be inconvenienced, ignoring the fact that the school their kid went to was s*** and has been s*** since I was a little kid. GTFOHWTBS

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)

Yeah usually that's prima facie evidence that they are and it's kinda funny, lol. "Why'd you think I thought you were a racist? Interesting. Did I say I thought you were racist?"

"I'm not racist! I had 3 black people in my house last year!"

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)

I think my least favorite came from the Zimmerman defense team, saying tht Zimmerman wouldn't have been charged if he was black, and someone either on that team or it might have been Zimmerman's brother saying that the whole case was an example of reverse racism.