Trayvon Martin

StrangeSox

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
Oh stop, that's not the law.

Frankly... when you combine the law along with your nonchalant hand-waving of every concern, which is a pretty neat microcosm of everyone else's reaction too (just pick any 3 posts you've made in this thread as an example) then that is the logical outcome

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
Frankly... when you combine the law along with your nonchalant hand-waving of every concern, which is a pretty neat microcosm of everyone else's reaction too (just pick any 3 posts you've made in this thread as an example) then that is the logical outcome

Unless the "reasonable person" standard becomes "it's reasonable to assume all black people mean to do you great bodily harm," then no, that's not the law.

Big butts on black women are a stereotype. think of an asian impression with buck teeth--are asians the only people with buck teeth? Of course not, but it's still playing into a racial stereotype. I thought the referenced articles/quotes did a decent job of explaining what some find offensive about it. it's more of a cultural issue with racial and sexual stereotypes than "omg! she's racist!" imo.

I don't expect Jackson or Sharpton to comment on this issue but I appreciate you caricaturing your own position!

Big butts on black women are a stereotype. think of an asian impression with buck teeth--are asians the only people with buck teeth? Of course not, but it's still playing into a racial stereotype. I thought the referenced articles/quotes did a decent job of explaining what some find offensive about it. it's more of a cultural issue with racial and sexual stereotypes than "omg! she's racist!" imo.

I don't expect Jackson or Sharpton to comment on this issue but I appreciate you caricaturing your own position!

My position is real simple: Is Serena offended by it?

Yes? Then make as big a deal out of it as you want.

No? Then everybody STFU and move on.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)
Expect Jackson and Sharpton to chime in:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-22...-bra-pants.html

Seriously though, how is that racist? Do only black females have big boobs and big butts?

You will probably hear from that dumbass Whitlock on ESPN tho. He thinks everything is racist. Bill O'Reilly is racist for calling him a coward for not wanting to come on his show. He calls EVERYONE who won't come on a coward.

• 3 months later...
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
this is essentially what I think happened in the Trayvon case:

http://gawker.com/5992400/caught-on-camera...getting-beat-up

Dude follows some people, gets out of his car, starts an altercation, gets his ass beat and then pulls a gun.

Dude was rightfully getting his ass completely beat. And you're likely right.

Dude follows some people, gets out of his car, starts an altercation, gets his ass beat and then pulls a gun.

Those were some savage f***ing teenagers.

Look, I already know what's being said here. "HAHA p**** CANT WIN A FIGHT WITHOUT A GUN", "START A FIGHT, LOSE, THEN GET UPSET ABOUT IT AND PULL A GUN?! HAHA GUN OWNERS ARE LOSERS"... but hey when wifey came out strapped the teens stopped pummeling the dude. It ended the fight, suddenly everyone turned polite (relative to what it was before, with the punching and all) and it ended with a couple black eyes* as opposed to what could've been pretty nasty injuries considering the way that guy was getting smacked around.

Guns worked, not the most ideal set of circumstances but it defused the f*** out of that situation.

*Yea someone discharged a round. Looks like the dude did, that was stupid and should result in charges.

the "dude" also stalked a group of teenagers for 40 minutes because they cut him off and then tried to hit the driver in the face. he got his ass completely beat for it and the kids looked like they were stopping once his dumb ass was beat and thrown to the ground.

then dumbass takes the gun, comes at them again, a round gets discharged. yeah, guns sure "worked" there.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 28, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)

that guy got what he deserved. don't start fights like that.

now he's going to jail, which he should be.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)

Look, I already know what's being said here. "HAHA p**** CANT WIN A FIGHT WITHOUT A GUN", "START A FIGHT, LOSE, THEN GET UPSET ABOUT IT AND PULL A GUN?! HAHA GUN OWNERS ARE LOSERS"... but hey when wifey came out strapped the teens stopped pummeling the dude. It ended the fight, suddenly everyone turned polite (relative to what it was before, with the punching and all) and it ended with a couple black eyes* as opposed to what could've been pretty nasty injuries considering the way that guy was getting smacked around.

Guns worked, not the most ideal set of circumstances but it defused the f*** out of that situation.

*Yea someone discharged a round. Looks like the dude did, that was stupid and should result in charges.

Yes and that gun could of just as easily made a few black eyes into a fatality because emotions run high and s*** happens. This migh have been the worst argument you have ever made on this board.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)

i would have simply shot him a 5 or 6 times after his initial punch, then drove off. quick and easy resolution. situation defused.

Edited by mr_genius

Yes and that gun could of just as easily made a few black eyes into a fatality because emotions run high and s*** happens. This migh have been the worst argument you have ever made on this board.

But nobody got hurt, except for the guy who wound up with a couple black eyes and probably a mean little headache. And notice how the guy who started the fight didn't initially come at them with the gun, his wife actually pulled hers out first when he was getting knocked around.

Part of responsible gun ownership is not behaving like that when you have your weapon on you (you really shouldn't behave like that at all, but skip that point), I agree. But fights like this happen all the time and sometimes people really do get hurt, in the right spot a punch can be lethal, however once a gun was brought into the picture nobody wanted to fight anymore. The guy and his wife took off, the kids freaked out and backed off and the whole thing went from escalating like crazy to suddenly diffused.

Emotions were definitely running high, the guy was so amped he (probably) accidentally discharged a round into the pavement. But he didn't shoot anyone. His wife didn't shoot anyone... even this example of a wildly irresponsible gun owner who lacks both trigger discipline and judgment didn't end up the way liberals envision every confrontation culminates to. What you should take away from this is that if that bozo didn't light anyone up then over-f***ing-whelming majority of responsible gun owners sure as hell wouldn't either.

yeah I'm gonna stay with "this is exactly the type of 'good guy' 'law-abiding citizen' who should never be allowed to own a gun"

Of course, you made up your mind a long time ago about this and aren't letting go.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 30, 2013 -> 01:00 PM)
But nobody got hurt, except for the guy who wound up with a couple black eyes and probably a mean little headache. And notice how the guy who started the fight didn't initially come at them with the gun, his wife actually pulled hers out first when he was getting knocked around.

Part of responsible gun ownership is not behaving like that when you have your weapon on you (you really shouldn't behave like that at all, but skip that point), I agree. But fights like this happen all the time and sometimes people really do get hurt, in the right spot a punch can be lethal, however once a gun was brought into the picture nobody wanted to fight anymore. The guy and his wife took off, the kids freaked out and backed off and the whole thing went from escalating like crazy to suddenly diffused.

Emotions were definitely running high, the guy was so amped he (probably) accidentally discharged a round into the pavement. But he didn't shoot anyone. His wife didn't shoot anyone... even this example of a wildly irresponsible gun owner who lacks both trigger discipline and judgment didn't end up the way liberals envision every confrontation culminates to. What you should take away from this is that if that bozo didn't light anyone up then over-f***ing-whelming majority of responsible gun owners sure as hell wouldn't either.

Except in the case of Treyvon Martin, someone did die...

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 29, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)

Oh please. I'm a full supporter of gun rights but that's BS. The dude followed the teens home, got out and confronted them and threw the first punch. He got what he deserved. The teens were done once they threw him to the ground. That's when the wife came out with the gun. Pulling the gun out only would have made that situation worse. Both of those people should lose their gun privileges forever. I am a strong proponent of gun ownership but I also feel strongly in responsible ownership and that video proves that those two are not responsible.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 30, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
Emotions were definitely running high, the guy was so amped he (probably) accidentally discharged a round into the pavement.

He fired the gun multiple times, hitting the truck and a nearby house. He didn't accidentally do squat.

Snooze. A gun was involved therefore overreaction. He could have gone back to his car to grab a baseball bat and it would be a nonstory. Idiots are everywhere, with guns and without guns.

Had he shot these kids, he would have been tried and most likely found guilty of attempted murder/murder. SYG would not apply.

Edit: Given what the article says and the video shows anyway. If he goes back to his truck and starts to pull away and those kids come after him again, well, then I could see an argument. He's lost the fight, committed the crime using the gun, but nonetheless relented and went back to his car. If they come after him again with a gun of their own or a knife or something I think he has the right to retaliate if he feels threatened, even if he did start the initial fight.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

I also find it a little odd what happens off camera. He goes back to his car, then what? Why start shooting? Was he provoked again? Did the kids come after him with something? That's sort of an important piece to the puzzle here re: the gun's involvement.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 1, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
I also find it a little odd what happens off camera. He goes back to his car, then what? Why start shooting? Was he provoked again? Did the kids come after him with something? That's sort of an important piece to the puzzle here re: the gun's involvement.

Sheer adrenaline. I'm surprised he didn't unload the clip into the teens; that took a lot of a self restraint.

Edited by pettie4sox